London Heathrow Airport Car Rental

Greenside

I'll need a economy size rental for about three weeks starting late August, which I know isn't the best of times for decent prices but I'm overwhelmed by the number of brokers/comparison sites that are now nested two or three deep.  All the actual suppliers with decent looking rates have appalling reviews (Easirent, Keddy to name but two) and it's looking like Sixt may have to be the choice.  Before I push the button tomorrow, has anyone got recent experience (either a warning or recommendation) that would be of use to me?

Also, I normally buy independent insurance to cover the stupid excess (deductible) cost they use to scare you into upgrading.  I heard a rumour that it was now unavailable for those living in Thailand - any info on that would also be appreciated.

Unfortunately, if you are going to choose from the cheapest, you are taking a gamble. That's why you take the standalone insurance, to protect yourself best you can.

The EuropCar group has some interesting brands. Though not necessarily of interest in a particularly good way.

Some of their brands are notorious. InterRent has the ignominy of being voted worst performer by Which. Followed by GoldCar. Keddy is another of their brands. 

39.png.f68d975d82c42caf3e37b3880096ab2f.png

Green Motion(ACE Rent a Car) appears another one to be avoided. 

You need to be sensible about what you are prepared to pay. you wouldn't baulk at paying the equivalent of £20 per day in Thailand, so why expect to pay half that at Heathrow?

Personally I tend to book with a top brand, such as Hertz, in conjunction with a useful CDP and look at what cashback is on offer; https://www.quidco.com/hertz/

I rented from LHR last month and looked at all the brokers, and was overwhelmed with all their various options, in the end I rented from Avis who were reasonably priced and got a decent car. By signing up to their loyalty scheme you get advised ot their latest offers and, in my case when I went to pick up the car it was in a bay waiting for me and all I had to do was drive away, they check your licence as you exit the compound and my Thai licence was fine.

They certainly did stop residents of Thailand buying the excess insurance at one time, in addition to the company mentioned earlier, icarhireinsurance.com can provide policies again, only single trips for non EU residents, with three weeks cover costing £62.80.  

I've rented from all the major companies at LHR over the years (Avis, Budget, Hertz, Enterprise etc). They're all hit and miss. I generally use Hertz now if only because it's usually a bit cheaper than the others - try booking Hertz through the Thai Airways web site, particularly if you're a TG ROP member. The rates are usually a bit cheaper than if you book direct. You can save time picking up the car by being a Hertz Gold member (free) but the Gold rates seem to be higher than the prices through the TG web site. Also, to make a Gold reservation if you live in Thailand, you have to call the Hertz office in Thailand (or at least that used to be the case) ...

All of the above companies are quite happy to take a Thai driving license.

I never buy excess insurance from the rental company. I've used WorldWide for probably 10 years; used to a great deal at around £45 for annual deluxe global cover but it all went up last year to (IIRC) £115. I go back to UK fairly often so it was still worthwhile. This year however it's £115 for the year AND there's now a £75 excess. Unfortunately, if you're not an EU resident, excess insurance cover is now very hard to find. I will say that with WorldWide I've claimed twice and each time the claim was settled promptly and in full. Last time was for a puncture (nail in tyre driving up M4 back to LHR) for which AVIS charged me £180!

If you're flying in to T2 note that it's a pain getting from Arrivals to the hire car shuttle bus stop. T3 was a breeze - all on the same level. Whatever buffoon designed T2 put the shuttle bus stop at street level and installed the slowest <deleted> lifts in the world (they're powered by teams of anaemic mice that run round inside little wheels to power the lifts). If it's only you and not too much baggage, use the escalators. Otherwise you can wait for ages to get into a lift and it's also not at all well signed as to which floor you need.

I've used Europcar/Keddy many times at LHR without any issues at all and they are usually the cheapest (ignoring the companies that have really poor reputations). This year however they were more expensive so I ended up with a Corsa from Hertz for 8 days for £102. No problems at all.

I have a current one-year Thai travel insurance policy that includes rental excess cover so I needed nothing extra.

In the USA I have used Dollar without any issues, and the same for Avis in Portugal. All monthly rentals.

9 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I have a current one-year Thai travel insurance policy that includes rental excess cover so I needed nothing extra.

Someone asked me what this is.

Mine is with AXA but MSIG also do one as does at least one other Thai company. I pay about 9,000B/year. Cheaper packages are available.

Cover is OK without being exceptional.

On 7/3/2019 at 3:24 AM, KittenKong said:

Someone asked me what this is.

Mine is with AXA but MSIG also do one as does at least one other Thai company. I pay about 9,000B/year. Cheaper packages are available.

Cover is OK without being exceptional.

Cannot find it in their policy document; https://www.axa.co.th/en/axa-smarttraveller

https://thailandgi.cdn.axa-contento-118412.eu/thailandgi%2F9a440317-8150-4d3c-b801-095b80cad3e9_smarttravellerplusbooklet_en.pdf

Twice rented hire cars on arrival at LHR.
Frankly a good idea to get a sleep before venturing out after a long flt.
What has worked for us ,is to get the Hopper bus to Sheridan or Holiday Inn as they both have car rental companies in their grounds.
We used Thrifty. Car rentals located at the Seraton, they were fine.
Used Green Motion from Holiday Inn, don’t recommend!
Just makes the whole deal stress free.
Booked by Agoda and Thrifty on line.
Generous discount if you book in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Finally chose Sixt through Auto Europe and took their excess cover package that was the same cost as iCarinsure albeit for less cover but enough for the Sixt T&C.  We'll see how that works out!

I would steer away from Green Motion - they are in the same stable as Easirentals with vigorous upselling and apt to charge outrageously for the slightest mark on the car.

In doing the research this year I have uncovered what looks like the ultimate nightmare combination: Turkish Airlines and Easirentals.  The TrustPilot and Trip Advisor reviews are so bad, they're addictive reading ... ????

Thanks for all the replies.

Edited by Greenside

On 7/5/2019 at 2:12 AM, Greenside said:

Finally chose Sixt through Auto Europe and took their excess cover package that was the same cost as iCarinsure albeit for less cover but enough for the Sixt T&C.  We'll see how that works out!

I would steer away from Green Motion - they are in the same stable as Easirentals with vigorous upselling and apt to charge outrageously for the slightest mark on the car.

In doing the research this year I have uncovered what looks like the ultimate nightmare combination: Turkish Airlines and Easirentals.  The TrustPilot and Trip Advisor reviews are so bad, they're addictive reading ... ????

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm sure that you know.... Keep in mind that the AutoEurope cover is resold standalone insurance. So you'll still need to have a credit card to cover the deposit.

The only way to avoid the deposit, is to pay SIXT for their excess waiver. But then you don't get cover for windscreen, tyres etc...

A few years ago I used trafficselfdrive several times and found them to be very good - competitive rates, always met in arrivals and car parked in terminal, always met by someone at departures to collect the car, never checked the mileage or how full the fuel was and never checked the car for minute scratches or marks on the wheel, etc. Also friendly service from the office, for example one time we dropped the car off at the office in St Albans and were driven to the railway station.

I no longer fly to LHR, but if I did and wanted to hire a car I would definitely contact the company.

www.trafficselfdrive.com