South America

girlx

in rainy season this year i would like to leave and go travel around south america for a couple of months. i am thinking that some sort of round the world ticket would be best, but i know it is hard to find a good one from bangkok with south america on the itinerary. does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to buy a cheap ticket covering a couple of south american countries? thanks

I found S/A to be a nightmare to get to because it's literally on the other side of the world with the huge Pacific Ocean separating it from the east.

I went through Europe; Frankfurt-Madrid and then onto Venezuela (unfortunately) but you can also go BKK-KL-AUCK-Santiago Chile.

Either way it aint cheap.

If you go through Europe try to avoid Caracas if you can. It's the worst airport I've been to staffed by the worst people in probably the worst country in the world. If you are unfortunate enough to have to go via there you will know what I mean. I have been through there a few times but have vowed never to again, even if it costs me more money. Lock your check in luggage well and wrap it in plastic. Be prepared for extreme cues at every stage at the airport, get there 4 hours before your flight and be prepared for 4 sets of taxes amounting to $140. There are serious social problems in Venezuela and they show at the airport. DO NOT fly with Aeropostal.

I think from Europe you can go through Brazil as well. That might be a better option. You can also go via Miami which has now become a pain in the ass for non-US as you need a USA visa just for transit! If you're American then I would go that way, if not....no.

Learn some Spanish before you go, you'll need it. In most places there are schools that teach it for about $90 for a 4 hr 5 day course, El Sol is a good one.I know it's in Peru but not sure where else.A few weeks of this will get you to level where you can travel, order food, small talk with the locals etc. It's much easier to learn than Asian languages.

thanks- i have heard that about venezuela before as well. i wouldn't mind stopping home in NY for a week first so maybe i will try the Bangkok-NY-Miami-somewhere in SA route. it's SO expensive though, if anyone has any tips on getting cheaper flights please let me know.

i do speak spanish already :o

generally the CHEAPEST in price return BKK-S/A (why not tell where? etc.) is 2 separate returns: to somewhere in urope(mainland, forget the UK), and add 1 of the many CHARTER flghts to where they go; usally Margarita=an isle north of Venezuela, OR near Fortaleza in Brasil.

Unfortunately, local flights In S/A do NOT come cheap at all.

Or simply try ebookers/trailfinders/whatever of hem many forreturns ex/any EIR/ to any wished place in S/A. remember; ist LOW season now for returns ex BKK to europe

• 1 month later...
hmm it's raining already this year so i am thinking of travlling. any more tips on this let me know.

The fifth least recorded annual rainfall in the world is Antofagasta, Chile with 0.2 inches of rain.

:o

Thai Embassy

Av. Americo Vespucio Sur 100, Piso 15

Las Condes

Santiago, Chile

Tel. (56-2) 717-3959