School evacuated in Khon Kaen as structures ‘near collapse’

webfact

School evacuated in Khon Kaen as structures ‘near collapse’

By Kritmet Loho, The Nation

800_0dc20b391ae71b1.jpg?v=1562138650

More than 100 teachers and students of Ban Lao Nadi School in Khon Kaen's Muang district were evacuated on Wednesday morning and school furniture and teaching materials removed from two 40-year-old buildings for fear they would collapse.

Khon Kaen Primary Educational Service Area Office 1 deputy chief Rangsarit Thanaphumchai led officials to inspect the buildings and visit the students, who are now taking their classes in a multi-purpose pavilion and the canteen. He said his office had already submitted a special budget in this fiscal year to construct a replacement building.

The evacuation took place after the Khon Kaen Provincial Administrative Organisation’s engineering team deemed the two buildings unsafe earlier this week. The structures, one built 43 years ago and other 38, had greatly deteriorated over time and could collapse at any time. The two buildings have now been sealed off and danger signs erected. 

Ban Lao Nadi School has 179 students from Prathom 1-6 levels and eight teachers.

Source: http://www.nationthailand.com/news/30372215

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-03

53 minutes ago, Bayrat said:

My school in NYC is almost 100 years old.  Has weathered hurricanes, tropical storms, Northeaster's and blizzards.  Not a crack or broken fixture to be found.  

The difference between Thailand and yours is that the words repair and maintain are in your dictionary and not in the dictionary of Thailand.

2 hours ago, Bayrat said:

My school in NYC is almost 100 years old.  Has weathered hurricanes, tropical storms, Northeaster's and blizzards.  Not a crack or broken fixture to be found.  

I bet it wasn't made out of bamboo & tin roof!!!

I've been watching a UK TV show where people who are seeking a new house are shown three examples that they might like. Some, many, of those houses are several hundred years old and still standing. I wonder how many houses build 2-3-400 years ago in Thailand are still standing. That's if there were any houses in Thailand then.

I used to own a stone barn conversion in Somerset (UK).  It was built maybe 400 years ago and had walls made of rocks that were half a metre thick. 

Solid as a .. er .. rock ????

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've been watching a UK TV show where people who are seeking a new house are shown three examples that they might like. Some, many, of those houses are several hundred years old and still standing. I wonder how many houses build 2-3-400 years ago in Thailand are still standing. That's if there were any houses in Thailand then.

Houses are built to last in Europe , houses in Thailand are built to last for 50 or so years

5 hours ago, Bayrat said:

What are your teachers like? Do you enjoy the classes as well?

10 hours ago, Bayrat said:

It wasn’t built by a Thai ... was it

Archived