Living in Thailand but want to travel 'abroad'

hugocnx

So, I lived in Thailand for >12 years and would like to travel to countries I feel I wanna go to.

For what I checked so far, tour operators are not really offering package deals going out of Thailand.

All you find is package deals going into Thailand from all over the world. Maybe I am wrong here.

Point is, I am single and would rather go with a group than do it all by myself. Not that I am a group animal but it is a bit more convenient when one is getting older.

You guys have ideas, experiences or whatever advice...greatly appreciated.

Edited by hugocnx
  • Like 1

If it´s ok for you to travel to your destination alone, you can book everywhere tours like in Chiang Mai, also for a couple of days. Perhaps it´s better than to book a group tour from Thailand with some people you don´t know but you have to spend the next 2 weeks with, if you don´t like them. 

Interesting topic....Since my break up with "she who no longer must be obeyed"  loneliness can be a real problem...after 12 years of sharing everything 24 hrs. a day... It's the laughing together I miss the most.  Life was a ball once she got to understand my peculiar (for some) sense of humour.  

13 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

If it´s ok for you to travel to your destination alone, you can book everywhere tours like in Chiang Mai, also for a couple of days. Perhaps it´s better than to book a group tour from Thailand with some people you don´t know but you have to spend the next 2 weeks with, if you don´t like them. 

Yes that's right and what I actually forgot is that 'my group' would consist of almost all Thai people. 

I would probably be an outsider though I have nothing against Thai.

13 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Naming the countries you would like to visit might help in getting some focussed answers. The world is a big place.

Thanks. Better keep that to myself and I believe it doesn't really matter.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Interesting topic....Since my break up with "she who no longer must be obeyed"  loneliness can be a real problem...after 12 years of sharing everything 24 hrs. a day... It's the laughing together I miss the most.  Life was a ball once she got to understand my peculiar (for some) sense of humour.  

You caught my drift.

6 hours ago, HampiK said:

Actually there are quite a lot of Travel agencies. But they mostly handles Thais' and therefore maybe not what you want but who knows.

In Bangkok there is an exibition about every 6 months about traveling, where you can buy cheaper Tours. I used one to go to some destinations as they had discounted tours. If the tour is exactly what you expect then this maybe the perfect match. If Remember correct last time I used H.I.S. Agency, which have many offices in Bangkok.. maybe other places as well. 

I personally only interested in Airfare and Hotels... not like to have group tours included as the mostly not go look what I want and not spend the correct amount of time for the specific parts.

Agreed; group tours do mostly the highlights. A bit of group discipline would be good for me ????

28 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Plenty of fish in the sea.  Thai ladies are a bit like London buses; if you miss the first one there are always plenty of others coming along behind.

Another option is to rent, and be thankful when they leave in the morning.

Lastly, however, if it's just loving, faithful, steadfast and unwavering companionship you are looking for; buy a Labrador. He, or she, won't mind your peculiar sense of humour, at all. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, allanos said:

Plenty of fish in the sea.  Thai ladies are a bit like London buses; if you miss the first one there are always plenty of others coming along behind.

Yea, trouble is there can be none for ages then three come at once......metaphorically speaking.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, geisha said:

I think the Bangkok post has a full page of publicity for flight tickets etc. Where do you live ? There’s a nice English speaking agency in Pattaya who would know all about tours. 

I could go to a tour operator in Chiang Mai, but prefer to have some TV insight/comments.

Im a single person .live i T/Land but not on a retirement visa for the simple reason I want to travel. I depart from T/Land every 90 day and can be Out has long as I want. I like Penang which is very easy to get to, I mostly use the train .Train No 31 most luxurious , 32 return .Don't fly although some times it can cheaper but I like traveling over land except where theirs the sea in between like Bali Indonesia.one of my favourite places. KL,Cambodia although you need a Visa to enter their so I don't go now . I go to places where your only stamped in&out. Next month Penang drought it forward one month. A small case with wheels on is ideal. Also A multi entrance visa to enter Thailand is essential . Can be time consuming finding Thai Consulate or Embassy. I have a one year validity none imm. category O visa. Yes travel stay in one place some time and get to know the people it's fascinating to travel to different places . 

Edited by Percy P
  • Like 2

5 ish years ago I came with group of Chinese not so fun... I was the only English speaking foreigner with little Chinese speaking. 

It was with a few Chinese friends and other travels. 

Large bus full .... 

The tour guide spoke Chinese little if any English. Dinner slop at the 

hotel then out for entertainment with group. Three or four days activities and food all together...

Try a one or two day trip and see if you enjoy it.....  like one of the posts said check with travel agency. 

• Like 1

"I am single and would rather go with a group than do it all by myself"
Maybe you could contact a travel agency in a country where people speak your language (your languages). You could ask the agency for a package (country of your choice) without the flight.
Then you could fly by yourself to the destination where the group starts the trip and join the group there.
Good luck in finding a solution that will make you happy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, allanos said:

Lastly, however, if it's just loving, faithful, steadfast and unwavering companionship you are looking for; buy a Labrador. He, or she, won't mind your peculiar sense of humour, at all. 

Yeah but they make for shit traveling companions for the OP who wants to make Thailand the hub of his regional (but not local) wanderings.

Then he has to find someone to keep the darn thing fed and watered while he's wandering.

Back ON TOPIC, there's a vibrant local tour and travel market but as stated earlier, it caters to the local population who amazingly enough tend to be Thai and mostly speak Thai. I see a great opportunity for the OP to learn the Thai language through a combination of formal Thai language classes and immersing himself in it with a bunch of locals visiting (say) Osaka. He could be the tri-lingual star of the tour group as I am sure they will be as flummoxed by (say) Japanese as he will be. However, translating via a 3rd (English) language has worked for me in the past and it can be very insightful too.

Who knows? He may meet his soul mate on his sojourns.

If she has a dog, bonus!

...for some anyway.

• Like 1

It would be better for the OP to travel alone, because then he could sample the females of nationalities other than Thais. Hard to do that corralled on a tour bus.

For example, the Infusion of Indian genes into the Burmese in Yangon was jaw-dropping - especially when they were walking away.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It would be better for the OP to travel alone, because then he could sample the females of nationalities other than Thais. Hard to do that corralled on a tour bus.

For example, the Infusion of Indian genes into the Burmese in Yangon was jaw-dropping - especially when they were walking away.

Yeah... but just you try and shag one of 'em...

15 hours ago, Asawak said:

"I am single and would rather go with a group than do it all by myself"
Maybe you could contact a travel agency in a country where people speak your language (your languages). You could ask the agency for a package (country of your choice) without the flight.
Then you could fly by yourself to the destination where the group starts the trip and join the group there.
Good luck in finding a solution that will make you happy.

Good idea. Most probably fly on your own anyways. Thanks.

Edited by hugocnx

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Yeah but they make for shit traveling companions for the OP who wants to make Thailand the hub of his regional (but not local) wanderings.

Then he has to find someone to keep the darn thing fed and watered while he's wandering.

Back ON TOPIC, there's a vibrant local tour and travel market but as stated earlier, it caters to the local population who amazingly enough tend to be Thai and mostly speak Thai. I see a great opportunity for the OP to learn the Thai language through a combination of formal Thai language classes and immersing himself in it with a bunch of locals visiting (say) Osaka. He could be the tri-lingual star of the tour group as I am sure they will be as flummoxed by (say) Japanese as he will be. However, translating via a 3rd (English) language has worked for me in the past and it can be very insightful too.

Who knows? He may meet his soul mate on his sojourns.

If she has a dog, bonus!

...for some anyway.

Hate to disappoint you. My Thai language skills are pretty good; I am not looking for a partner (he/she/dog) and I have to desire to be the star of the group. But hey, thanks for your post.