Grandfather clause 220k thb 20 years in Los

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Are you sure you have understood the meaning of this phrase? I thought I had a firm hold of reality. Perhaps I don't. Maybe you know something I don't. 

I know you cannot speak for every single reader and once you realise that you will understand why your point is off. Unless you know every single reader of this post.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mikisteel said:

I know you cannot speak for every single reader and once you realise that you will understand why your point is off. Unless you know every single reader of this post.

Your posts are deep and cryptic. Too deep for me, I am afraid.

On 7/4/2019 at 7:15 AM, fishtank said:

Yep. Those who qualify for this would already know about it as they will already be using it.

Yes I learned about this some time ago. I qualify for it but I don't use it.

The magic date is October 1998. I got my Non-Imm O visa from Penang in November 1997 and have been in LOS ever since (less the Exit-Reentry time-outs)

I've been reluctant to use this rule because I'm afraid that some IO are unaware of this grand dad clause and I'd have to argue (not something to do with an IO) to get it applied to me.

Nevertheless if I had some urgent need to dig into my 800k now it's nice to know that I could go down to 200k and even less if outside the seasoning period and still keep my Extension valid considering the new bank deposit rules.

15 minutes ago, jayceenik said:

Yes I learned about this some time ago. I qualify for it but I don't use it.

The magic date is October 1998. I got my Non-Imm O visa from Penang in November 1997 and have been in LOS ever since (less the Exit-Reentry time-outs)

I've been reluctant to use this rule because I'm afraid that some IO are unaware of this grand dad clause and I'd have to argue (not something to do with an IO) to get it applied to me.

Nevertheless if I had some urgent need to dig into my 800k now it's nice to know that I could go down to 200k and even less if outside the seasoning period and still keep my Extension valid considering the new bank deposit rules.

It looks as though you do not qualify.

4 minutes ago, fishtank said:

It looks as though you do not qualify.

I'd disagree, as he entered prior to the grandfathering date and has been on extensions of stay ever since, then he does qualify, the money in the bank bit would depend on how old he was in October 1998.

6 minutes ago, jayceenik said:

Why not ?

You do based on how you described it, the only thing that may differ is the amount required in the bank, depending on your age in October 1998.

@fishtank is correct, it might raise Immigration eyebrows if you suddenly claim it, not really sure how they would react TBH, they would certainly want to know why you didn't prior, by the same token, they should have perhaps pointed it out to you as well.

I suppose you could claim that you knew but always had 800k + in your account.

28 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I'd disagree, as he entered prior to the grandfathering date and has been on extensions of stay ever since, then he does qualify, the money in the bank bit would depend on how old he was in October 1998.

Yes. Of course. The requirement is straightforward. 800k or 200k for pre-1998 LOS "resident" grand-dads.

My bank account in BKK has been my main account ever since I came to live in LOS. 

It varies up and down but I made a point to never let it go down from 800k.

For safety and Extension I always have more than the extension-required min 800k.

And if i show up for Extension with a 2m bank letter, for example, the IO will certainly not expect me to have same amount next year.

Anyway, I plan to make my next extension in November marriage-based so I'll need to season only 400k.????

(I'll need some extra ca$h for the sinsod !! ????)

Thanks to all TVF members who post their info/opinions. 

It makes for an informative and entertaining forum !! 

39 minutes ago, jayceenik said:

Yes. Of course. The requirement is straightforward. 800k or 200k for pre-1998 LOS "resident" grand-dads.

Actually it is isn't that straightforward, it would depend on your age in October 1998, if you were 60 or above then, yes 200k, if you were 55 - 59 at that time though it would be 500k.

On 7/4/2019 at 4:07 PM, Farang99 said:

You have to have done your first extension on or before 20 October 1998

This is engraved on my heart because my visa was dated 20 October 1998 - so my first extension, which would have qualified me for grandfathering, was exactly ONE YEAR TOO LATE.

On 7/5/2019 at 1:34 PM, Mattd said:

Actually it is isn't that straightforward, it would depend on your age in October 1998, if you were 60 or above then, yes 200k, if you were 55 - 59 at that time though it would be 500k.

I don't remember that. You know/remember more than I do !!

I applied for Extension of Stay with my 14NOV97 Penang Non-Imm O in March 1998.

Extension of Stay approved to 13 November.

I was not 60 at that time.

I turned 60 on 8 October 1998. 

On 13 November Extension of Stay approved for one year to 13 November 1999.

So I take it that I just qualify for the Grandad 200k clause  ????

1 hour ago, jayceenik said:

It certainly seems that you should qualify, whatever the interpretation of the age rules might be.

The age rules are unclear in one respect: they could be interpreted as saying you must have been in Thailand continually on extensions of any non immigrant entry, and be of the age specified at the time of the current extension. The Police Order does not say you must have been the age specified on October 20 1998, and only used retirement extensions, though many immigration officials might well interpret it that way.

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The Police Order does not say you must have been the age specified on October 20 1998, and only used retirement extensions, though many immigration officials might well interpret it that way.

It does state you have to of been on extension based upon retirement.

And you must be of been 60 or over on October 21st 1998..

"(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively
permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:
(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in
a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of
no less than Baht 20,000.
(b) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed
income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht
500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000."

2 hours ago, jayceenik said:

No you don't. You had to have done the extension on or before 20 October 1998. November was too late