Tropical storm Mun helps replenish Thailand’s parched reservoirs

webfact

Tropical storm Mun helps replenish Thailand’s parched reservoirs

Resevoir.jpg

Tropical storm Mun has already made landfall in Vietnam and will eventually downgrade to a depression and then to a low pressure cell. The weather system been a boon for Thailand as it has dumped about 243 million cubic metres of rain into farmland, reservoirs, rivers and other natural waterways.

Mr. Somkiart Prajamwong, secretary-general of the National Water Resources Office, said today many areas in Thailand’s northern, northeastern and eastern regions have been at risk of flash floods and mudslides because of the heavy rain. Several reservoirs, however, have been replenished by the deluge over the past 3 days.

Of the rain water dumped on Thailand, he said that 207 million cubic metres have found their way into five major reservoirs in the North, including Mae Ngad Somboonchon, Mae Kwang Udomthara, Kiew Kor Ma, Kwae Noi and Bhumibol, as well as eight out of 13 reservoirs in the Northeast, including Nam Oon, Nam Pung, Chulabhorn, Ubonrat, Lampao, Sirindhorn and Lam Takong.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/tropical-storm-mun-helps-replenish-thailands-parched-reservoirs/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-07-05

5 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

None of this has reached Tha Ton. I was watering the garden yesterday. We are still taking our laundry out because we dont have much water in the garden well, our only source of house water.

You need to move, Tha Ton is too dry and there's nothing to do there.

• Haha 1

"Mr. Somkiart Prajamwong, secretary-general of the National Water Resources Office, said today many areas in Thailand’s northern, northeastern and eastern regions have been at risk of flash floods and mudslides because of the heavy rain." 

Sorry, but Mr. Somkiart Prajamwong is talking b o ll o ck s. There have been a few isolated thundershowers on a very localised basis, but overall the north is desperately in need of more rain, and I mean big rain all over not just the typical 20-minute showers which appear as tiny green goblins on the radar daily. In short, we are facing a severe drought this "rainy season" and tropical storm/depression "Mun" hasn't brought much of anything to the north. Meanwhile most of the irrigation canals are very low when rice fields should already be irrigating with planting in the next couple weeks. So far this year it just isn't happening. 

Edited by Captain_Bob

Very disappointing event here in the upper Nan River valley. Wet season continues to struggle to provide rain. Very noticeable the local farmers are struggling to get water into the rice fields. It's happening, but very slowly.

Also noticed that there is often a disconnect between what is being reported as current weather here in Pua, and what is actually happening. Despite living no more than five kilometers from Pua, we rarely get a tenth of the rain reported there. I've lost track of the number of times the current Pua weather is being reported as showers and the rainfall slowly ticking up, but all I can see is blue and or rainless skies over the town and nothing showing on the radar which is less than 20 kilometers away.

On 7/5/2019 at 7:36 AM, legend49 said:

Chiang Mai must be last on the list for rain, we are still waiting.

Only 38.5mm for June in Phrae, not 20mm so far in July, we've been watering from ground water since May...it's obviously the governments fault!!!

• Haha 1

Very little rain in Chiang Mai,its getting desperate,I put my pump and

pipes away for watering the garden a month ago,thinking the rainy season is here,

but not yet,the river at the rear of our house is blocked with Hyacinth,

and all kinds of crap is building up behind it,needs a monsoon to flush

it away,if it does not start heavy downpours soon,can see there been a

water shortage in the future.

regards worgeordie