TM28 crackdown?

The TM28 for change of address (not the TM30 for the possessor of the property to inform immigration of alien at their address) has never been seriously enforced. Immigration always seemed to accept the notice on the same day as a 90 day notification.

However, I've now heard two cases of criminal fines for a couple of days late in informing (i.e. they informed on the day of their 90 days notification). The fines were described as 'processing fees' but they received and showed me a criminal fine slip. Nothing was entered on their passports.

What is going on?

I'm quite jumpy about this since I moved a long time ago but because I am popping in and out of the country (this removes the requirement of the 90 day and starts the clock ticking on a fresh 90 day upon arrival back in Thailand) I won't be informing them of my address change until a 90 day notification sometime in November (having moved way back in January).

This apparent new crackdown reminds me of the 90 notification crackdown that started around 15 years back. Before then, Immigration ignored the 90 day requirement.

• Like 1

Which immigration office?

Not sure calling it a criminal fine is correct. How much did they say it was?

Are you sure it was for not doing a TM28 form? It could of been for a TM30 not being done.

• Like 1

For one of them, it was the immigration office to the east of Chaeng Wattana. I'm not sure what that is. I'm unsure of the other person.

They were insistent it was a TM28. Since both were staying in serviced apartments, so the owner/administrator would be the TM30. The fine was 800 baht for one. He showed me the form and it was the same as a traffic offence fine (it said something like a "delay in informing" in Thai). I'm afraid I didn't get enough details on the other. I'm trying to get them to take a photo of their respective fines and send them to me.

My personal concern is with Chaeng Wattana . Any news on them?

• Like 1

At C/M immigration, when I moved back into my (wife's) house I submitted a TM30 for my wife as the

owner and a TM 28 for myself.  The officer gave the TM 28 back to me saying they were no longer required.  Since I never trust them, I asked that she throw it away instead of me tossing a govt document.  She smiled and tossed it saying as long as a TM30 is provided that is sufficient notification.  Hopefully that doesn't change like the Tm30 which was originally issued I blv in 1979 but wasn't enforced until a couple of years ago.  But now with the changes of senior management and gvtm, who really knows!

15 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Not to worry. It ended with beeing the normal crackdown on TM30. ????

I don´t even go Starbucks for a cup of coffee without notifying my IO. :cheesy:

Be careful there, you may end up with an 800Bt "fine" without a receipt. :cheesy:

Edited by possum1931
  • Haha 1

I have had a TM 28 in my passport for the past six years following my relocation to Hua Hin. Three years ago I completed a TM 30 which my landlady signed but on three separate occasions Hua Hin immigration have shown no interest in accepting it, just pointing to the TM 28. I might add that I don't travel outside Thailand.

6 hours ago, Presnock said:

At C/M immigration, when I moved back into my (wife's) house I submitted a TM30 for my wife as the

owner and a TM 28 for myself.  The officer gave the TM 28 back to me saying they were no longer required.  Since I never trust them, I asked that she throw it away instead of me tossing a govt document.  She smiled and tossed it saying as long as a TM30 is provided that is sufficient notification.  Hopefully that doesn't change like the Tm30 which was originally issued I blv in 1979 but wasn't enforced until a couple of years ago.  But now with the changes of senior management and gvtm, who really knows!

6 hours ago, Presnock said:

I had an almost identical occurence in Promenada a year ago. Nobody would accept my TM28