Jailed Australian man Dino Rossetto loses bid for freedom from Cambodian jail

geovalin

Australian man Dino Rossetto will spend five years in a Cambodian jail for drug offences after the country's Supreme Court in Phnom Penh upheld his conviction.

The 51-year-old Rossetto was sentenced to five years jail by a court in Sihanoukville in January 2018 under Article 40 of the country's drug laws. He initially filed an appeal with Cambodia's Appeal Court, but that court upheld the guilty verdict in July 2018.

Rossetto, from the New South Wales town of Orange, was arrested in an undercover sting by Cambodian police in September 2017 after he offered to sell about $US70 ($100) worth of drugs to an undercover police officer.

read more https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/asia/jailed-australian-man-dino-rossetto-loses-bid-for-freedom-from-cambodian-jail-20190708-p52570.html

18 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Easily said from behind our keyboards, and I don't want to condone drug dealing. But the issues begin when you consider that a guy selling 70$'s worth of drug (which drug? I didn't know that methamphetamine as they reported sells for 1.5$/gram) is sent to prison for 5 years, while others murdering multiple people on the road while drunk or busy on their phones do not spend a single day in prison. Different countries ok, but still not "that simple".

Not sure about that, it seems pretty simple to me, he was found guilty and sentenced now he will serve his time. 

Other crimes and punishment is irrelevant. 

Drug taking and dealing is harshly penalised in Asia, don't do it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rosst said:

Not sure about that, it seems pretty simple to me, he was found guilty and sentenced now he will serve his time. 

The post I was referring to said "do the crime, serve the time", not "deal drugs, serve the time".

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Easily said from behind our keyboards, and I don't want to condone drug dealing. But the issues begin when you consider that a guy selling 70$'s worth of drug (which drug? I didn't know that methamphetamine as they reported sells for 1.5$/gram) is sent to prison for 5 years, while others murdering multiple people on the road while drunk or busy on their phones do not spend a single day in prison. Different countries ok, but still not "that simple".

Perhaps the police took the incriminating scales and drugs he also had in his apartment into consideration?

Who has been charged with "murdering multiple people on the road"?   Which drivers are you referring to who may have killed someone in a road accident who deserved jail but didn't get it?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, arithai12 said:
21 minutes ago, rosst said:

The post I was referring to said "do the crime, serve the time", not "deal drugs, serve the time".

No difference in this case as he was dealing.

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Perhaps the police took the incriminating scales and drugs he also had in his apartment into consideration?

Who has been charged with "murdering multiple people on the road"?   Which drivers are you referring to who may have killed someone in a road accident who deserved jail but didn't get it?

What was so 'confusing'  Confused about that, thaiguzzi?

Edited by Just Weird
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Just as easily said from my keyboard.. don't go to another country and sell drugs of any description, weight or value... if you want to keep your freedom.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 8:41 AM, worgeordie said:

Do the crime....do the time,it's really that simple

regards Worgeordie

The Cambodian "justice" system is completely arbitrary and a total shambles. I wouldn't believe a single word their police or courts say. They only exist to extort money for their greedy selves. What else can we expect from, barring African countries, the most corrupt nation on the planet.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, 4737 Carlin said:

The Cambodian "justice" system is completely arbitrary and a total shambles. I wouldn't believe a single word their police or courts say. They only exist to extort money for their greedy selves. What else can we expect from, barring African countries, the most corrupt nation on the planet.

So are you saying he's innocent,and all other Farangs that

are caught doing crime there,are too,?

unless you know without doubt he was fitted up,and is

innocent of the charges,its just your opinion.

regards worgeordie

On 7/10/2019 at 10:58 AM, madmen said:

And a few bars on the river tourist strip are selling pot and you can smoke it right there.

Doesn't matter what the locals do. Anyone is an idiot to SELL drugs wherever they may be illegal,

especially in a country that didn't issue you your passport.