Drowning beware! Parents warned to look after children in dangerous July

webfact

Drowning beware! Parents warned to look after children in dangerous July

7pm.jpg

Picture: Talk News Online

A Thai doctor in charge of damage mitigation has warned parents to be particularly careful of their children during the rainy season. 

There is a great danger of children drowning in water they are familiar with due to changes in currents, added depth or changes under water resulting in the possibility of foot entrapment.

Dr Saman Footrakun from Ratchaburi Region 5 said that in July in the years 2009 to 2018 there were 572 deaths of under 15s in Thailand from drowning. 

Last July the figure was 34 dead. 

He urged communities, schools and parents to remind children of the danger of swimming in the rainy season in particular. Many swimming areas should simply be avoided during the rainy season.

In addition to the above warnings he said that banks of reservoirs could become unstable and children should be kept away from the edges. 

Signage should be erected at dangerous spots and parents out fishing or foraging should keep a close watch on their children. 

The use of good quality life jackets was also important if children do swim, he said. 

Thaivisa notes that for many years the leading cause of death of children in Thailand was from drowning. 

Recent reports suggest that the roads are now responsible for as many if not more deaths of children. 

Source: Talk News Online

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-09

Signage should be erected at dangerous spots and parents out fishing or foraging should keep a close watch on their children.

It always seems to be ‘should’ in these reports and never ‘shall’.

1 hour ago, petermik said:

In my early years swimming lessons were part of schooling......why not here :thumbsup:

If I had to take a shot in the dark.... greed and corruption at the top - Corruption in Thai Education - then no one qualified, no one wanting to take charge or responsibility, parents not wanting their kids to be involved because they are fearfully ignorant or lazy.

1 hour ago, fishtank said:

Most Thai parents could not give a toss about their children's safety.

They would not pile them onto motorbikes with no protection if they did.

Or let them roam inside the vehicle while in motion and on top of that take a selfie with the kid on their lap whilst driving.. Words fail me..

I can't recall in my 10 years driving here seeing a child at the back seat properly restraint.

1 hour ago, petermik said:

In my early years swimming lessons were part of schooling......why not here :thumbsup:

My son's school has weekly swimming lessons as part of their Phys Ed class. It's a private school though. He's getting pretty good which I like because I can't teach him as I don't swim a stroke.

Seems like good advice to me. Ponds and rivers which may usually be fairly safe to

swim or paddle in during the dry season change significantly and become far more

dangerous in the rainy season. 

That appears to be the message here.

The result: Same many drownings as last year due to the big lack of concern.

10 hours ago, petermik said:

My daughter goes to a private school where they teach svimming 2 times a week. I am the one that she learned from, so now back to the lack of knowledge how to pratice logic and psychlogical teaching...... 

Archived