Thailand’s Pan-Asia bullet train routes to connect Beijing and Singapore

webfact

9 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

The line is estimated to be 608km long and is expected to be completed by 2023

It took them 5 years to build a tunnel 350 meters in Phuket

I thought they were going to use Chinese to build the high speed railway?

I read a report that mentioned about having to translate a lot of civil engineering terms between Chinese and Thai.

Or is that only perhaps the Chinese overseeing the construction?

9 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Nice photo of part of the 3.5 km section mentioned already and known about ???? Stock photo was it from the Junta's Ministry of Propaganda ?

Straight question (unusual for me, I know!):

Is it definitely the 3.5km section from Klong Dong to Pang Asok?

I didn't know how much (if any) of it will run alongside the 1m track?

Edited by bluesofa
grammar
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Straight question (unusual for me, I know!):

Is it definitely the 3.5km section from Klong Dong to Pang Asok?

I didn't know how much (if any) of it will run alongside the 1m track?

Believe so. Almost identical photo to the one published in that newspaper we can not name in March.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Yinn, thanks for posting the video.

That is the first I've actually seen as to what's happening.

Can you (or someone) tell us where the video was filmed, and how many km is shown in the video clip?

Pangasok

I'm assuming it's the high speed railway (1.43m/standard gauge) that is shown,

Yes 1.43m

This video have a lot information about the construction way.

and not the dualling of the present 1 metre track?

I'm asking this because all of the video appears to show this new construction next to the existing 1 metre track. I thought the high speed railway was going to be on a new route completely?

I think some same, some different. 

9 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Pangasok

Yes 1.43m

This video have a lot information about the construction way.

I think some same, some different.

Thanks Yinn.

So as it is the 3.5km section from Klong Dong to Pang Asok, it means it's still the very first section of track that began in December 2017.

As another poster mentioned, the video/photos were apparently published in March?

Trying to be realistic about this, if it's taken more than a year and they are still at stage of earth-moving for the first 3.5km, how can anyone expect they can complete the Korat - Bangkok section in the next two years and have it working, like the government said?

In the article below, Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittay-apaisith said a total of 13 construction contracts for the Bangkok-Nakhon Ratchasima route would be open for bidding in 2018 so that construction could be completed and the system become operational in 2021:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Thanks Yinn.

So as it is the 3.5km section from Klong Dong to Pang Asok, it means it's still the very first section of track that began in December 2017.

As another poster mentioned, the video/photos were apparently published in March?

Correct

Trying to be realistic about this, if it's taken more than a year and they are still at stage of earth-moving for the first 3.5km, how can anyone expect they can complete the Korat - Bangkok section in the next two years and have it working, like the government said?

You believe the government? 55555555555555

impossible to finish in two years. Sure.

Thanks Yinn.

In the article below, Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittay-apaisith said a total of 13 construction contracts for the Bangkok-Nakhon Ratchasima route would be open for bidding in 2018 so that construction could be completed and the system become operational in 2021:

So my guess will be that the corrupt Junta together with the equally corrupt Elite, and lets not forgot the main shareholders of the main contractors for this project,  will embezzle so much of the money, that this could well become another "Hopewell Project".  Slightly different circumstances perhaps, but same end result.

11 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

So my guess will be that the corrupt Junta together with the equally corrupt Elite, and lets not forgot the main shareholders of the main contractors for this project,  will embezzle so much of the money, that this could well become another "Hopewell Project".  Slightly different circumstances perhaps, but same end result.

I think you've played this game before.

For the optimists who have been suggesting 50 or 100 years before it's completed, the reality is more likely to be a group who will be living somewhere abroad with more cash than you can shake a stick at.

That could probably be within a couple of years hopefully. We don't want it to get to the stage of any Hopewell pillars cluttering up the countryside. At least if it's only earth-moving it will just be time before the landscape returns it's natural state.

Up next: A competition to find the most outrageous idea to screw money out of the Thai taxpayer.

• Like 1

Being a bit pessimistic I cannot see a fence being an obstacle to a Thai who cant be bothered to take the proper route, its not about the saving of time and money its just the selfish side of Thainess…………..its up to me, no one or nothing else matters more than me.

Up next: A competition to find the most outrageous idea to screw money out of the Thai taxpayer.

Yesterday Prayut announce increase VAT tax 7 to 8%.

Everything in plaza, etc will be expensive more. 

Need money for Prawit plane, watches, new submarine, budget for choose the 250 senate (1,300 million baht but choose his friends can just phone them), etc etc

i think they will finish the high fast train, because international project. China want to go Singapore, must come in Thailand to go.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Yesterday Prayut announce increase VAT tax 7 to 8%.

Everything in plaza, etc will be expensive more. 

Need money for Prawit plane, watches, new submarine, budget for choose the 250 senate (1,300 million baht but choose his friends can just phone them), etc etc

i think they will finish the high fast train, because international project. China want to go Singapore, must come in Thailand to go.

Last year Prayut denied he was going to increase the VAT rate to 8%, so now it must be long overdue to announce it as policy - ha ha!

source: https://www.nationthailand.com/national/30308628  

You've got a good point about completing the railway. Like you say - China wants it.

I think China want it to get to the west coast (Burma), to make it easier to export their goods to western countries.

So far, Malaysia and Singapore have turned down the chance to build a standard gauge railway from Thailand, as they know it will be too expensive and not make enough money.

On 7/10/2019 at 10:53 AM, scottiejohn said:

I assume you mean the building of the model train might be finished by 2023, not the actual train itself!

Actually, I assumed he meant a single carriage of the model train - not the whole model.

• Haha 2

Last year Prayut denied he was going to increase the VAT rate to 8%, so now it must be long overdue to announce it as policy - ha ha!

source: https://www.nationthailand.com/national/30308628  

You've got a good point about completing the railway. Like you say - China wants it.

I think China want it to get to the west coast (Burma), to make it easier to export their goods to western countries.

So far, Malaysia and Singapore have turned down the chance to build a standard gauge railway from Thailand, as they know it will be too expensive and not make enough money.

Like I have wrote earlier, Malaysia's East Coast Rail Link was not cancelled. The project is now back on track. The cost of the project has been reduced by

1. avoiding a lot of tunnelling work across the Titiwangsa Range

2. removing some stations,

3. avoiding costly construction and land acquisition around KL

4. shortened the line by 40 km.

Originally, the plan was to connect Kuala Lumpur right up to the Thai border near Pengkalan Kubur in Kelantan. Now the line is to connect Port Klang with Kota Bahru in Kelantan, so it is around 20 km short from the Thai border.

Goods may be transported from Yiwu in China all the way to London by rail since 2017. 

Do governments build schools, hospitals, roads and bridges only if they are going to be profitable?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Selatan said:

Like I have wrote earlier, Malaysia's East Coast Rail Link was not cancelled. The project is now back on track. The cost of the project has been reduced by

1. avoiding a lot of tunnelling work across the Titiwangsa Range

2. removing some stations,

3. avoiding costly construction and land acquisition around KL

4. shortened the line by 40 km.

Originally, the plan was to connect Kuala Lumpur right up to the Thai border near Pengkalan Kubur in Kelantan. Now the line is to connect Port Klang with Kota Bahru in Kelantan, so it is around 20 km short from the Thai border.

Goods may be transported from Yiwu in China all the way to London by rail since 2017. 

Do governments build schools, hospitals, roads and bridges only if they are going to be profitable?

I stand corrected.

I read earlier that Singapore and Mayalsia thought it was too expensive. I can't find the page where I read it I'm afraid.

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I stand corrected.

I read earlier that Singapore and Mayalsia thought it was too expensive. I can't find the page where I read it I'm afraid.

It was Mahathir that thought that both projects were expensive. The revised ECRL project is now 22 billion ringgit cheaper, and would be officially restarted on 25th July. The KL-SG HSR project is however postponed to next year due to budget constraints.

12 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'm assuming it's the high speed railway (1.43m/standard gauge) that is shown, and not the dualling of the present 1 metre track?

I'm asking this because all of the video appears to show this new construction next to the existing 1 metre track. I thought the high speed railway was going to be on a new route completely

From what I could see of the Vid' it does appear that the ground working is alongside an existing track .. but that doesn't look wide enough to be HST .. So are they just following the route in their preparation to then replace that existing track with a double HST job ( as is the norm for HST lines ) .. or are they intending to run HST lines alongside that existing slower narrower gauge track .. Dave67 would be the guy to know on this but ain't seen him on 'ere lately .. 

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

From what I could see of the Vid' it does appear that the ground working is alongside an existing track .. but that doesn't look wide enough to be HST .. So are they just following the route in their preparation to then replace that existing track with a double HST job ( as is the norm for HST lines ) .. or are they intending to run HST lines alongside that existing slower narrower gauge track .. Dave67 would be the guy to know on this but ain't seen him on 'ere lately .. 

Yeah, true. He's definitely in the know about this stuff. He just hasn't posted on this topic so far. I see he did log in a few days back though.

It's a new route from what I remember reading, although as Yinn says, it does seem to pass by the narrow gauge track in some places.

On 7/10/2019 at 10:05 AM, norfolkc said:

Unless people in S.E.A open their eye's they are going to wake up one morning and find that S.E.A is another Provence of China the same as Laos and Cambodia virtually are now the chines know what to do they just target the greedy the same as they have done in Africa

Didn't they all come from China originally?

On 7/10/2019 at 4:58 AM, webfact said:

The first route is the Thai-Sino project which links Bangkok to Nong Khai in Laos. The line is estimated to be 608km long and is expected to be completed by 2023. Additional connecting lines to Vientiane and to the Chinese province of Mohan shall also be constructed.

wait a minute. is this bullet train going to run along side the other train track construction that is going on all over Thailand?

because what they are building now are not bullet train tracks, just dual tracks for a conventional train.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Didn't they all come from China originally?

The Thai people are thought to have originated in the southern Chinese province of Yunnan. They are related to other people that either live there now or originatedthere such as the Dai and the Lao. The Thais began migrating southward in successive waves, perhaps as early as A.D. 1050.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Yeah, true. He's definitely in the know about this stuff. He just hasn't posted on this topic so far. I see he did log in a few days back though.

It's a new route from what I remember reading, although as Yinn says, it does seem to pass by the narrow gauge track in some places.

The runners are under starter's orders ready for the off in the HST Gold Cup .. 

Another thing that has occurred to me about this is will they have to build tracks into the local temple for the Windolene blessings or will the monks have to traipse to the station to administer the good luck .. And given that a lot of these trains are painted white they might have to use a different colour 'Lene for the symbols to show up .. 

IMG_20190711_132233.jpg