Long read Unpaid bill guesthouse..plus other advice needed

10 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

In the UK? If so there's legal problems evicting tenants, so it's not surprising. But a non-paying foreign tenant in Thailand has few rights - even many paid tenants get ripped off on return deposits for flimsy reasons. I'm sure the cops would be happy to help the guest house given the issue is about getting the foreigner to hand over money. 

This was a British national renting in Bangkok.

Quick update.I've visited Thailand before.and many countries solo no issues..I left my bag  wallet with cash 3k GBP..I know that was stupid for less than a minute with people I had met before and spoke to for over a year.I had a few beers maybe 4 not enough to be semiconcious but don't recall much after 2 beers didn't notice loss till next day  as had 10k bust in pocket woke at 4pm not like me at all never sleep late??.airline are sending exactly 600 euros after a 3 hour call explaining everything ..not sure when it arrives but no more than 14days.  Within said visa I've had to open a bank acc here with a trusted Thai and make them poa..I told the guesthouse when I moved in I would pay when I get money here and all was fine and that's still my intensions it was only when another family member of the place showed up things went hostile..to those with advice thanks..I've commited no crime please don't judge me we all make mistakes I trusted the wrong people.I've not asked for anything other than advice I'l update again soon..

Delayed flights over 3500miles and 5 hours is 600euro..520gbp..standard payment under new regulations..Google it.

Edited by Paulanna
More info

2 hours ago, Paulanna said:

Quick update.I've visited Thailand before.and many countries solo no issues..I left my bag  wallet with cash 3k GBP..I know that was stupid for less than a minute with people I had met before and spoke to for over a year.I had a few beers maybe 4 not enough to be semiconcious but don't recall much after 2 beers didn't notice loss till next day  as had 10k bust in pocket woke at 4pm not like me at all never sleep late??.airline are sending exactly 600 euros after a 3 hour call explaining everything ..not sure when it arrives but no more than 14days.  Within said visa I've had to open a bank acc here with a trusted Thai and make them poa..I told the guesthouse when I moved in I would pay when I get money here and all was fine and that's still my intensions it was only when another family member of the place showed up things went hostile..to those with advice thanks..I've commited no crime please don't judge me we all make mistakes I trusted the wrong people.I've not asked for anything other than advice I'l update again soon..

Delayed flights over 3500miles and 5 hours is 600euro..520gbp..standard payment under new regulations..Google it.

Well, you’ve left your bag wallet with cash 3 K GBP for less than a minute and you had a few beers. How would the airline agree so fast, and send you 600 Euro which is about more than half a return ticket?

They usually try to avoid everything that’s over 10 bucks.

A lot of things that went wrong, but in this particular instance, it was the airline who messed things up? Hard to believe, to be honest.

Nobody in their right mind would leave all cash with others who aren’t close friends, but you did leave all the money and they put some downers in your beer, or what?

I’ve never checked in a hotel, or guesthouse and told them that they’ll have to wait until my money comes? They offer a service for you, have to pay their employees, etc.. So what are they doing wrong here?

You really rely on money an airline employee told you you’ll receive in two weeks? If you were talking to the boss, perhaps. But an employee wouldn’t confirm such a payment “on the phone”, or roughly speaking within a three hour call.

You’re basically saying that all people around you made something wrong and nothing was your own fault? What’s next, a GFM setup?

Something in your story doesn’t add up but I’m not calling you a liar.

All others are there to do something bad to you, but wasn’t ALL homemade? How can that be not your own fault of what has happened? 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Paulanna said:

Sounds like someone slipped you a micky.  You said you had to open a bank acct, why? Also you dont need a Thai to open an account and now you gave that Thai POA, hope your dont lose money again. Stop trusting people you dont know!  

When the police came, was it really 20 guys and 4 trucks or you exaggerated a little bit.  If that many it may have been a immigration raid which is almost becoming a regular thing.  In all the years I've been in Asia anytime you call the police you're lucky if anyone shows up at all. Hope nothing else happens to you!  PS next time dont carry all the cash, use cards, travelers checks, Bit coin wallet, something other than cash. Difficult lesson to learn. Hope you have no more problems.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Paulanna said:

With your stubbornness about your right to get a compensation under Article 7 of Regulation 261/2004 , this Article is applicable , as it says, "Where reference made to this Article". And you just fail to see the obvious that delays, it is the Article 6 "Delays" refer only to the Article 8 and the Article 9, hence delays are not eligible for a compensation under the Article 7 in principle.

A reference to the Article 7 is made is in the Article 4 "Denied boarding"=overbooking situation, and in the Article 5 "Cancellations ", these are the cases when Article 7 compensation is due.

I looks, like you may googled "passengers claim assistance companies" website who will promise all kind of wonders in an exchange of 10-50 EUR downpayment "to start deal with your claim".

No airline will pay Article 7 compensation for a delay, whatever they told if you exhausted them by 3hrs telco.

If they failed to provide you with an assistance under Article 9 to which you was eligible for 5 hours delays - free meals and drinks at reasonable amount, 2 telco/emails, and you had incurred charges to do that yourself , they will, for sure, compensate you at cost, but no punitive damages or alike just because they didn't provided assistance as prescribed by the Regulation.

You must start to move to get money now, as you will not get a cent from your airline, as it looks now.

Otherwise your visa will expire, and you will go through a lengthy and expensive legal procedures.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 12:11 AM, lamyai3 said:

This is a lot of compensation for a flight delay, suggests that it might have been a decent ticket on a quality airline.

In the EU, even the cheapest ticket on the worst airline is entitled to compensation for flight delays etc if they meet the requirements laid down in the legislation.

On 7/11/2019 at 9:17 AM, Scouse123 said:

Lastly, this is a voluntary scheme signed up to by the  airlines that are based in Europe, it doesn't apply to Middle Eastern airlines, as I found out with a different overnight delay on Etihad. We were given a hotel and buffet breakfast but no compensation except a catch up flight the following morning.

EU261/2004 is not a voluntary scheme and applies to Middle Eastern airlines as well as EU based ones.  The key difference is it's only applicable to flights leaving the EU for the Middle Eastern airlines, not going to the EU.

8 hours ago, treetops said:

EU261/2004 is not a voluntary scheme and applies to Middle Eastern airlines as well as EU based ones.  The key difference is it's only applicable to flights leaving the EU for the Middle Eastern airlines, not going to the EU.

I was told it was a ' voluntary charter ' that the airlines signed up to and it may be an EU regulation but I am unsure if it is a ' law ' or can be deemed as such?

I am not going to get into it, as I really don't know.

I can see now though now, how Etihad got out of it because it was the return journey to Manchester from Bangkok via Abu Dhabi.

Therefore, although the ticket was bought and paid and originated in the UK, the return flight began in Bangkok, South East Asia.

Sounds like the cops didn't show up on Friday? Given that you're legal as far as immigration goes, this is just a domestic dispute about room payment for now - if the cops did show, having some proof that you're waiting for money to arrive will likely have the effect of them advising the guest house owner to wait for it to arrive. Holding your passport, they've got the upper hand in any event.

However, I wouldn't assume a happy ending with the airline. €600 is very high compensation, more than I typically pay for full return flights from the UK. I doubt these compensation payments are dished out frequently or on time (if at all) so I'd ratchet up the pressure on the airline to get you confirmation in writing that this money is coming to you. In the meantime, I'd proceed on the basis that it isn't, and go all out to raise the cash by borrowing it from friends or family - you can return the money to them anyway after the airline comes through.

Bottom line - you're in a far better situation currently with a bit of time on your side than you will be in 3-4 weeks time if you're still waiting on the airline and your extension is about to expire. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last year wife and I had a 5+ hour delay on departure from UK due a technical fault with the aircraft. I claimed compensation and was surprised when, after about two months,  they paid 600 Euro into our respective bank accounts. They would only pay into a bank account in the name of the passenger.

On 7/10/2019 at 3:39 PM, BritTim said:

I understand why some think this is an attempted scam, but my guess is that the basic facts are as the OP has stated. At this stage, I am not sure he will have the funds to get home. Much of the 600 euros he is relying on will go in paying off his debts. Flights at short notice at this time of year tend to be expensive.

In the short term, I think he may be OK, as long as the guesthouse believe him about the compensation he is due. Calling the police again is not going to help them get their money. Indeed, it may reduce their chances. It makes sense for them just to continue to hold onto the passport.

www.priceline.com I found a $ 307 flight with THAI from KUL via BKK to FRANKFURT. Keep checking, and try Google Flights and neighboring countries' airports as well.

• Confused 1