Indefinate Leave To Remain ! What A Con!

Posts like this just make me long for the not too distant day when i can pack my bags and leave the UK forever , to reside in a country where some freedoms still exist.

AGREED!!

The most positive quote Ive read in a while.Again thats my opinion before I get shot down again lol

delboy

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok my Wife has a year to do this test, etc... So where tyo start, better start now as it seems like it may come round quickly by the looks of O.P worries!

So from the beginning whats it all about! I phoned up the Learning links and they do not offer a Entry ESOL 3 with Citizenship, nor do any of the others? My Nana is Irish if that helps!

:o

You all seem to bleating :D , can anyone answer my questions ie. What are the FULL processes for ILR?

Also any useful contact numbers etc....

:D

Edited by lopburiguy

One way or another you will eventually get all your money back and more. Unfortunately for me i have always been a nett contributor to the economy , but if i can live long enough past retirement i hope to eventually get it all back with interest. That thought gives me some comfort.
Posts like this just make me long for the not too distant day when i can pack my bags and leave the UK forever , to reside in a country where some freedoms still exist.

So how do you intend to fulfil both of these statements that have appeared in this thread. If you've got a solution, please share cause I think we all want some of that :o

You wouldn't be thinking of Thailand would you? staying there with all the visa runs/ money in bank etc will cost a lot more over a 10 year period than getting residence in UK if you are under 50.

My Nana is Irish if that helps!

Was she born in southern Ireland lop?

If so you can claim Irish citizenship. From the Irish web site www.passport.ie

Foreign Births Registration

Where Foreign Births Registration is applied for on the basis of having a grandparent who was born in Ireland, the following supporting documents are required in addition to the completed application form:

In relation to the APPLICANT:

Full civil birth certificate (including details of parents);

Civil marriage certificate (if applicable);

Copy of current passport or identity document;

Two photographs of applicant;

In relation to the GRANDPARENT BORN IN IRELAND from whom citizenship is claimed:

Full civil birth certificate if born after 1864, otherwise a baptismal certificate; together with proof that no civil registration exists;

Copy of current passport or identity document, if alive, or death certificate;

Which countries are they?

Well , Thailand for example. The Thais aren't bothered about the political correctness sweeping the UK. they wouldn't have problems with Robertsons re-introducing golliwogs onto their marmalade jars, nor of showing repeats of the black and white minstral show on tv. In the UK that would cause a scandal that would dominate the news. How absurd!! In fact Thailand is not bothered about very much at all , as long as they get their money thats all they care about. Thats my kind of country!!

One way or another you will eventually get all your money back and more. Unfortunately for me i have always been a nett contributor to the economy , but if i can live long enough past retirement i hope to eventually get it all back with interest. That thought gives me some comfort.

So how do you intend to fulfil both of these statements that have appeared in this thread. If you've got a solution, please share cause I think we all want some of that :o

You wouldn't be thinking of Thailand would you? staying there with all the visa runs/ money in bank etc will cost a lot more over a 10 year period than getting residence in UK if you are under 50.

BIG apologies to the OP .. this has gone wayyy off topic, however to answer Mahout's question i guess my second quote was borne of frustration at the constant eroding of our freedoms to do anything in the UK. Actually i will probably always be resident in the UK , milking it for all i can to get back my money with interest. Maybe retire to LOS when i have got it all back but keep property in the UK to fund the overseas retirement. The cost of any visas/ visa runs etc is irrellevant to me , the quality of life is more important than this relatively small expense.

Sorry OP !!

Ok my Wife has a year to do this test, etc... So where tyo start, better start now as it seems like it may come round quickly by the looks of O.P worries!

So from the beginning whats it all about! I phoned up the Learning links and they do not offer a Entry ESOL 3 with Citizenship, nor do any of the others? My Nana is Irish if that helps!

You all seem to bleating :D , can anyone answer my questions ie. What are the FULL processes for ILR?

Your local local authority college should offer an ESOL with citizenship course, if it's not already over-subscribed. Failing that, you can buy the Life in the UK handbook from most bookshops, and your wife can study that and then independently sit the Life in the UK test at a cost of £34.00. A list of the test centres is available from:-

http://www.multimap.com/clients/places.cgi?client=ufitest

Scouse.

My Nana is Irish if that helps!

Was she born in southern Ireland lop?

If so you can claim Irish citizenship. From the Irish web site www.passport.ie

Foreign Births Registration

Where Foreign Births Registration is applied for on the basis of having a grandparent who was born in Ireland, the following supporting documents are required in addition to the completed application form:

In relation to the APPLICANT:

Full civil birth certificate (including details of parents);

Copy of current passport or identity document;

Two photographs of applicant;

In relation to the GRANDPARENT BORN IN IRELAND from whom citizenship is claimed:

Full civil birth certificate if born after 1864, otherwise a baptismal certificate; together with proof that no civil registration exists;

Copy of current passport or identity document, if alive, or death certificate;

Hiya MrBojangles,

Yes she was born in County Dunegal, Southern Ireland...She is in the UK now on a British passport, does that matter. Her Birth Certificate is from S.Ireland tho etc...

What are my options?

Thanks this really helps if it works...

Your local local authority college should offer an ESOL with citizenship course, if it's not already over-subscribed. Failing that, you can buy the Life in the UK handbook from most bookshops, and your wife can study that and then independently sit the Life in the UK test at a cost of £34.00. A list of the test centres is available from:-

http://www.multimap.com/clients/places.cgi?client=ufitest

Scouse.

Thanks Scouse, I will look into all the deciding factors....if she can avoid the test I may as well try the option bojangles pointed out. If not i go down the ESOL route, she will just have to get studying! We all gotta work hard at some point!

Hiya MrBojangles,

Yes she was born in County Dunegal, Southern Ireland...She is in the UK now on a British passport, does that matter. Her Birth Certificate is from S.Ireland tho etc...

What are my options?

In that case Lop. You get an Irish passport sorted out and you bring your'e Mrs over on a EU family permit. This is (should be) free. You won't have to pay for the SV and you won't have to pay for ILR and she won't have to sit the LITUK test. Easy peesy, lemon squeezy and save yourself more than £1,000 :o

Hiya MrBojangles,

What are my options?

In that case Lop. You get an Irish passport sorted out and you bring your'e Mrs over on a EU family permit. This is (should be) free. You won't have to pay for the SV and you won't have to pay for ILR and she won't have to sit the LITUK test. Easy peesy, lemon squeezy and save yourself more than £1,000 :o

hiya Mrbojangles,

steady...my Wife and Son are already here in the UK on a settlement visa....does that change the ball game?

hiya Mrbojangles,

steady...my Wife and Son are already here in the UK on a settlement visa....does that change the ball game?

My mrs is already here too. I'm just applying for my Irish passport and will then change the settlement visa to a EU family permit. I believe the only difference is that they will both have to wait longer, to qualify for a British passport.

hiya Mrbojangles,

My mrs is already here too. I'm just applying for my Irish passport and will then change the settlement visa to a EU family permit. I believe the only difference is that they will both have to wait longer, to qualify for a British passport.

Hmmm a lil confused, so if I did say get an "Irish Passport" what benefits will this have to me...and how do I go about changing the Visa from Settlement to EU?

Thanks Lop :o

Your missus can apply to the Home Office for permission to remain as the spouse of an European Economic Area national. This is free and will allow her to live and work in the UK for 5 years. After five years she can apply for indefinite leave. Again, this is free, and she won't need to take any sort of English test. Once she's had indefinite leave for one year, she can apply for naturalisation as a British citizen.

Scouse.

Bloody hel_l...thats a big difference is it not...why is it so easy compared to the hoop jumping Brits have to do? So it takes longer....does it affect the EU visa if you go out the country for long periods?

Edited by lopburiguy

....does it affect the EU visa if you go out the country for long periods?

No. The only requirement is that your wife is married to someone who holds a passport of an EEA country and that person is in the UK exercising a treaty right, e.g. working, looking for work, etc.

Scouse.

BUMP

Come on people. Get this petition signed. There are 173 names at the moment. And don't forget i know many of your names and i don't see them on the list yet !!! :o

Someone mentioned there are petitions you can sign. Does anyone know where i could sign one of these or start a new one?

I've just found it here:- http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/VisaCostRise/

So come on people get signed up. Do one for yourself and one for the Mrs / partner if they have an e-mail account.

BUMP

Come on people. Get this petition signed. There are 173 names at the moment. And don't forget i know many of your names and i don't see them on the list yet !!! :o

Hey, C'mon Mr Boj, stop the bullying!! :D

I must protect my anonymity :D

Good Luck

Moss

Hey, C'mon Mr Boj, stop the bullying!! :o

Nah Moss, not "bullying" i'm "rallying" there's a difference ya know :D

No more than five in any one group then :D

Anyway where are you in the list, considering you made a pretty good fist of spelling my name the other day!

Good luck

Moss

To be faire, I think anyone wanting citizenship of a country should have general knowledge of said country.

Why? As most British people don't know how many Bank Holidays there are in the year (and they don't) how is it reasonable to expect a foreigner to?

Its like us Brits seeking citizenship of Thailand (don't laugh i know thats virtually impossible) and being asked what was the Thai unit of currency BEFORE the Baht? I know ... but i bet none of you do WITHOUT looking it up.!!

If you have to have a test keep it relevant and useful ... like whats the favourite drink of the British .... answer (except for the alkis) is TEA . That way they know what to make us a cup of when we get home tired from work :o