Transferring various items to a new passport

Hi folks. I'm Danish residing for about 5 years in Thailand on a retirement extension to the original visa. I'm about to run out of pages in my current passport so I have ordered a new one which should arrive in about 3 weeks.

Is it necessary to have the various immigration stamps transferred to the new passport or is it acceptable to simply carry the old and the new passports for the time being? If it is necessary to transfer then what is the procedure for doing so? FYI I am in Bangkok but my last extension was processed in the Pattaya immigration office.

Thank you in advance for any advice offered.

John

It is best to get the stamps transferred as soon as possible. 

They will only do a stamp with spaces for info about the visa that you used to get entry you have been extending and your old passport. You most recent entry and extension stamp. And your re-entry permit if you have one.

You will need copies of both passport photo pages and copies of the pages in your old passport of your visa, entry stamp,  most recent extension stamp and re-entry permit.

You will need letter from your embassy requesting the stamp transfer.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, gaviny said:

Ubonjoe , I just did mine last week , did everything you said , however I wasn't asked for a letter from my embassy. It cost me 500 baht for the job.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I came back into Thailand with a new passport in March and got my "retirement extension" transferred to the new passport FOC in Phuket.  No letter from embassy needed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gaviny said:

Ubonjoe , I just did mine last week , did everything you said , however I wasn't asked for a letter from my embassy. It cost me 500 baht for the job.

2 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

I came back into Thailand with a new passport in March and got my "retirement extension" transferred to the new passport FOC in Phuket.  No letter from embassy needed.

image.png.537e26eb47cafb49c9ec67d0fb353c4a.png
I could have ordered the passport online, or went to khaosan road to get another one, but the reality is, that you'll need a legalisation with the letterhead of your embassy to validate your passport officially. Also note, that you need to transfer your new passport number for the numerous immigration databases, where this document will come handy, if you don't want to start the whole process from scratch ????

EDIT: @kopitiam, so you arrived with your new fresh passport, no issues there, but if you'd just replaced it in country, then it'd been a field day at immigration office just to ponder ^^ 

Edited by jabis
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Atens4 said:

Now back in Denmark i need to chang my phone number in Kasikorn, thy want a lot of copie, Pasbook, Passport etc, i hope thy will change in 5 days time. need to get sms OTP.....

Hope you didn't lose/give up your old passport, as that will be invaluable proving you're still you even with new passport ????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need letter from your embassy requesting the stamp transfer.

I simply took both passports to Jomtien. This was around mid June 2017

Had to leave both overnight.

Collected the next day

The new passport detailed

My 2005 Non  O  -2 stamps

My last re -entry-1 stamp

Expiry date of  the then visa extension-1 stamp

Easy -No cost -No input from  any  Embassy

• Like 1

Did it two weeks ago in Phetchabun, great service, only needed copies of all stamps in my old passport and front pages of both new and old, no forms to fill, and best of all, free.

Of course keep the old one handy, banks and driving license etc. are referenced to it!

Edited by bignbad
  • Like 1

I don't know if this is new policy nationwide  or just at Jomtein. May be just my poor luck.

My extension expired June 26. I came back  on June 19 to Thailand with a new passport obtained outside of Thailand. I used the new passport for entry so it has an entry stamp already. On June 20th in Jomtein i was told i needed an embassy letter to transfer stamps. I requested and was allowed to talk to " the boss" , didn't help.

Normally and true to form with me, when I obtained a new passport from the US Consulate in C/M

they gave me a letter requesting the Thai Immigration transfer the necessary stamps.  I didn't ask for

the letter but the IO asked for it when I did go to Immigration.

I got a new UK passport a few weeks ago from the Trendy building Soi 13 Sukhumvit Bangkok and was given a letter with the new passport asking the Thai immigration to transfer stamps to my new passport which they did in Buriram cost Baht 500.

Transfer of stamps was free at Jomtein.

I got the embassy letter on June 24. On June 25  Jomtein accepted stamp tranfer request, but would keep my passport overnight until June 26 2pm, on the same day my extension of stay expires. That left me a few hours to apply for extension, no time to goto the bank. Had an agent stand by, luckily all went well. Was told 800k bank letter is acceptable dated within 3 days. Picked up my passport on June 27 with a new extension.

Edited by Thailand J

6 hours ago, bignbad said:

Did it two weeks ago in Phetchabun, great service, only needed copies of all stamps in my old passport and front pages of both new and old, no forms to fill, and best of all, free.

Of course keep the old one handy, banks and driving license etc. are referenced to it!

When I got my new passport, besides Thai Immigration, I also updated my bank account and driving license to avoid problems later.  The old passport is no more valid.

I applied for a new passport online, and received it by courier, no trip to the embassy necessary.  I took it, and my old one to Buriram immigration and had the stamps transferred in about 30 minutes.  No fee, no letter required.  If you need to collect your passport from the embassy, then by all means, get the letter when you do so, but if you are upcountry and sent the new passport, then try going to the local immigration to do the transfer with no letter before making a trip to Bangkok just for that. 

Edited by ballpoint
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, gaviny said:

I did it in Hua Hin, they demanded 500 baht, I demanded an official pink receipt and they gave me the money BACK. 

I don't know what the law says, but I would definitely want my current extension stamp in the valid (new) passport. When I renewed my passport last year, I took the new and old one to immigration and they put in the stamp of my current extension of stay (the expiration date remains the same) in the new one along with another stamp explaining that they were transferring the extension stamp to my new passport. I had a letter from my embassy but they didn't ask to see it. They didn't charge for it either, but I'm sure if I had given them a tip, they wouldn't have refused.

I would definitely keep the old passport with me as it has your original visa in it.

If the new passport number is different from the old one (which seems to be the case in most countries), you should consider updating your passport info. in other places as well. In my case that was:

-banks where I have accounts

-Ministry of Land Transport for my Thai driver's license

-Ministry of Labor (work permit)

22 hours ago, Thailand J said:

i needed an embassy letter to transfer stamps. I requested and was allowed to talk to " the boss" , didn't help.

Yes that is correct. If UK passport go to Key Visa and they will provide said letter. I believe it is 200 baht. 

Edited by jacko45k

If you get your new passport back home and use it to enter Thailand, you don't need the Embassy letter as the passport has been used. Just show both passports when getting your stamps transferred. You need the Embassy letter if you get a new passport in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If you get your new passport back home and use it to enter Thailand, you don't need the Embassy letter as the passport has been used. Just show both passports when getting your stamps transferred. You need the Embassy letter if you get a new passport in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Good info for others in the future.

I applied for a new passport online, and received it by courier, no trip to the embassy necessary.  I took it, and my old one to Buriram immigration and had the stamps transferred in about 30 minutes.  No fee, no letter required.  If you need to collect your passport from the embassy, then by all means, get the letter when you do so, but if you are upcountry and sent the new passport, then try going to the local immigration to do the transfer with no letter before making a trip to Bangkok just for that. 

Which country are you from?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app