Ranong Border Bounce 2019

There are a couple of old threads on this but looking for most recent experiences going from Surat across the border and back to get a second 30 day stamp.

Person going is American, currently on an extension of her first 30 day stamp.

Will they ask for 10k or 20k cash?

Does she need an onward ticket?

Is Andaman Club best to get across border and back?

Any advice appreciated.

There should be no problem crossing for a second visa exempt entry as long as there is not a long history of stays in Thailand on tourist visas.

It is best to have the cash. An onward ticket is not necessary.

The Andaman Club route is the most comfortable. The cheaper Ranong border bounce using small open air boats will likely result in a soaking, and arguably carries a small risk of drowning, but should also be OK as far as getting the visa exempt entry is concerned. If doing that, ensure you have a clean, undamaged $10 bill for the Myanmar border pass.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jadam said:

Can these still be purchased for 500 baht at the border?

I am sure someone will be selling them. Personally, I always make sure I have a few dollars in my wallet, purchased at regular rates, rather than putting myself in a position of being extorted to buy dollars at 50 baht to the dollar, but up to you.

1 minute ago, Mikisteel said:

Quick question 

Border bounce/run/hop

All mean same thing?

"Border bounce", "border run" and "border hop" all mean the same thing. The common term "visa run" is ambiguous. It may mean a border bounce, or it may refer to actually travelling to a consulate to apply for a visa.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I am sure someone will be selling them. Personally, I always make sure I have a few dollars in my wallet, purchased at regular rates, rather than putting myself in a position of being extorted to buy dollars at 50 baht to the dollar, but up to you.

Right, not the best rate, but it's not like there are lots of other places to buy dollars around (unless you're in Bangkok, which she isn't).

12 minutes ago, Jadam said:

Right, not the best rate, but it's not like there are lots of other places to buy dollars around (unless you're in Bangkok, which she isn't).

Surely, she must live somewhere near a bank with foreign exchange. If not, there are banks in Ranong. These also do not provide the best rates, but a lot better than 50 to the dollar. If buying dollars is a hassle, I would suggest buying $100 at a time so you always have them when needed.

49 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Surely, she must live somewhere near a bank with foreign exchange. If not, there are banks in Ranong. These also do not provide the best rates, but a lot better than 50 to the dollar. If buying dollars is a hassle, I would suggest buying $100 at a time so you always have them when needed.

Not a lot of foreign tourists around here (in Nakhon Si Thammarat) and no foreign exchange places.  Banks will buy your foreign notes for Thai baht but they don't sell foreign notes.
I'll tell her to check in Surat Thani or Ranong if she has time.

42 minutes ago, Jadam said:

Not a lot of foreign tourists around here (in Nakhon Si Thammarat) and no foreign exchange places.  Banks will buy your foreign notes for Thai baht but they don't sell foreign notes.
I'll tell her to check in Surat Thani or Ranong if she has time.

It might be worth calling CIMB (https://www.yellowpages.co.th/en/profile/521996261009001-CIMB Thai Bank Public Co Ltd Nakhon Si Thammarat Br) to see if they can sell her a few dollars. Most CIMB branches can.

• Like 1

I went across a few months ago and they wanted to see 20000 Baht and an onward flight booking. They also don't like it if you've got lots of tourist visas in your passport. You'll also need 10 USD brand new and 2 photocopies of your passport.

• Like 1

They also don't like it if you've got lots of tourist visas in your passport.

As I mentioned before in a similar thread, since there is no possibility of onward travel in Burma (unless you already have a Burmese visa), Ranong immigration will not allow you to do the visa run if they don't intend to let you back into Thailand! 

If they 'let you out', then they will 100% 'let you back in' )

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BritTim said:

I thought that too until the Immigration refused to accept the notes. I had to negotiate a clean $10 outside for THB200.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I just saw a post on a different site that sez we can no longer do a METV extension at Ranong. I couldn't find the date it was posted or any details.

It's a company that ran the vans, said "Due to the changes in the visa regulations it is not possible any more to extend the visa in Ranong. Therefore the visa run is dead! No more minibusses come from Phuket or elsewhere for this purpose."

Anyone know more about this?

Thanks,

DS