London hosts two big sporting clashes

London hosts two big sporting clashes

David Buckley

cropped-Lords-from-the-indian-pavillion-1.jpg

This Sunday, Lord’s and Wimbledon (plus Silverstone) will be the focus of attention

A little after 2pm this Sunday three major sporting events will be in full flow in England. It’s a clash many sports fans would prefer to avoid.

How does one choose? 

The final of cricket’s World Cup will be halfway through at Lord’s in north-west London; the men’s singles final will have just started at Wimbledon in south-west London; and an hour-and-half up the road in Northamptonshire the lights will have all gone out to signal the start of the British F1 Grand Prix.

What a lash-up by the administrators of the different sports in terms of scheduling!

Do they not talk to each other? I suspect not. All live in their own sporting bubble. Also, I would imagine each would claim that pressure on their calendars means that the clash could not have been avoided.

So, the capital’s police will have to cope with cricket and tennis fans on the roads, railways and tubes. I doubt if they will constitute a significant problem. It’s not like it’s two big football matches. As a sweeping generalisation, supporters of cricket and tennis seem to be much more sensible. Although when you hear a cricket crowd singing the football anthem “It’s Coming Home”, as they did at Edgbaston on Thursday, you do start to wonder. 

It could have been worse, I suppose. Organisers of F1 have said they would like to stage a race somewhere on the outskirts of London in future. It’s a good job they are still just thinking about it.

So, part of my Saturday will be spent ensuring that there are enough supplies brought in of the following: Gin with several bottles of tonic; a long French stick with mature cheese and ham; strawberries and cream or ice cream – can’t make up my mind.

Full story: https://londoninspire.co.uk/london-hosts-two-big-sporting-clashes/

1RHcVpx.jpg

-- © Copyright London Inspire in Thailand

Follow London Inspire on Facebook

• Like 2

If you're talking about going to the event, I doubt if you could get a Centre Court ticket for tomorrow and the attendance is limited. F! is a long way from London (50+ miles), which leaves the cricket (which would be my choice anyway).

If you are talking about watching it on TV, I have no way of watching it here at home in Thailand ???? so it's a choice between F1 and tennis for me. I'll be watching the men's (and womens) finals live and recording F1.

Edit: Stage 9 of Le Tour on Sunday too. Go Geraint! - another one for catch-up, i think.

Edited by petemoss