Survey: Is Thailand’s appeal declining for Western Tourists?

Scott

Survey: Is Thailand’s appeal declining for Western Tourists?  

491 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

48 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

For me it will be home for the rest of my in my heart. But its not Farang friendly. My Wife is Thai my kids are Anglo/Thai and Thai citizens and yet in some form I have to get Visa every year for the rest of my life

I think you can get Thai Permanent Residency because your wife is Thai. My friend got one many years ago, soon after he was married. You should find out.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Perhaps2more said:

I think you can get Thai Permanent Residency because your wife is Thai. My friend got one many years ago, soon after he was married. You should find out.

Thanks I will look into it but I heard its far from easy thank again

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:08 AM, SoilSpoil said:

The real question should be: " is Thailand still a pleasant country for the Thai to live in?". Answer this one, and you have your answer. The locals are really not that much different than its visitors.

If I had 40 million foreigners coming to my country every year, being Thailand that small and poor, I think I would feel really pissed and would try to come up with all types of scams to make some money off my misery. 

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I earned a lot of money, dressed well, looked reasonable, and was intelligent.

In the UK after age 23, I got nothing, not even from my Brit wife.

In Thailand age 52, I got as much sex as I wanted from more attractive women than I ever had in the UK, and they were half my age or less.

From what I see of young, good looking white male tourists in Thailand, their white gfs are generally overweight and ugly. I can't understand it, it's as if all the attractive white women are too busy posting selfies on instagram to actually date any white guys. 

Thailand still has plenty of slim and attractive women available at bargain prices.

Yep, that about sums it up.  In Thailand, sex is either biological if your hansum, or monetary if not.  In the West, sex has turned into a means of control .... ????

1 hour ago, GoodieAfterDark said:

If I had 40 million foreigners coming to my country every year, being Thailand that small and poor, I think I would feel really pissed and would try to come up with all types of scams to make some money off my misery. 

I think I would be really appreciative that these tourists are making it possible for me, my family, friends, relatives, to have a paycheck and lift me out of where ever we would all be without the tourists billions in B spent here each year.  I would go out of my way to make them feel comfortable and welcome and to let them know that I am greatful to have them. Guess how they will react to the two approaches.

2 hours ago, GoodieAfterDark said:

57 minutes ago, wisperone said:

I think I would be really appreciative that these tourists are making it possible for me, my family, friends, relatives, to have a paycheck and lift me out of where ever we would all be without the tourists billions in B spent here each year.  I would go out of my way to make them feel comfortable and welcome and to let them know that I am greatful to have them. Guess how they will react to the two approaches.

Therein lies the rub.  Bust one's hump to do a good job and deal with rude, drunk or ignorant tourists who couldn't give a crap, en masse.  People who see you as just lowly peons.  It happens in crowded city locations where it's dog-eat-dog conditions.  Get up-country and it can be a bit more genteel, though foreigners are not the novelty they once were.

Though I haven't visited in years, my modest Thai language and a genuine interest in the common people has been rewarding.  Chit-chat with sellers in the small markets, admire and tease children hanging about, talk with old people, that sort of stuff. I was a U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer in 1977-79.  Never did much really useful in western terms but I felt like a low-level Ambassador.  Dirt-poor farmers liked me.  I would go to junkyards and buy scrap metal stuff they could use.  Give them a ride on my motorbike to "go see a man about a dog". If I ate at their house, it was sticky rice, some hot pepper, salt and whatever weeds they could collect out back (vegetarian).  I was cheap to feed and gave them a lot of laughs.  Especially the time I climbed way up a coconut tree to get one and the black ants got me.  Hilarious.

7 hours ago, Perhaps2more said:

Pride has nothing to do with getting ripped off.  Not being careful has. 

I did not say pride had anything to do with getting ripped off. I said it could make you respond unwisely.

Pride is what gets you to respond to some situations unwisely.

Pride is what gets you to fight for a seat, a woman, or with a queue jumper, and sometimes very upset for being done by only 20 bahts. The amount you probably give to a beggar, but it bothered you that the seller did that to you. What did she think you were?

Displeasure, or annoyance is just a feeling.

Pride is an emotional term. It can move you to do unreasonable things.

Grown-ups rarely bother themselves with something trivial.

Stay focus - you see things as they are. 20 bahts is worthless, it's not 2,000 bahts.

Your name probably is a giveaway, because Ego is an unhealthy form of pride. 

I should have known better, a newby to TVF and already stirring the pot not just with me, but other posters, whatever floats your boat, I have set my sails for the other direction.

As for my name, it got a lot of attention on the white 1974 Silver Shadow Rolls Royce, but then again, you wouldn't understand, keep swimming, but do look out for the sharks ????

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:45 PM, AllanA said:

Why you may ask, various reasons, some because there are less westerners traveling these days as a lot of countries are not doing to good themselves but the westerners who are traveling are not coming to Thailand as the word is out that Thailand does not really welcome you like it once did. There seem to be a lot of new rules in Thailand from immigration to police making tourists pee on the street to see if they are on drugs which 99% would not be but the embarrassment on the street would not make you feel good or welcome. 

The pee test has been around a long time so I don't think that's a factor, nor do I think western countries not doing well count. IMO it's simply that the reason people came in the past has vanished like morning mist in the sun. The beaches are horrid now, where once they used to be brilliant.

Also, prices have increased significantly while quality has remained same or declined.

NB. Most tourists arrive on visa exempt entry and stay less than 30 days so the current difficulties with immigration are not a factor, IMO.

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

whatever floats your boat, I have set my sails for the other direction.

As for my name, it got a lot of attention on the white 1974 Silver Shadow Rolls Royce, but then again, you wouldn't understand,

I'm afraid, you are heading towards a shark infested part of the pond in that antique silver shadow submarine of yours. Be careful! You might sink to the dark abyss again.

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I earned a lot of money, dressed well, looked reasonable, and was intelligent.

In the UK after age 23, I got nothing, not even from my Brit wife.

In Thailand age 52, I got as much sex as I wanted from more attractive women than I ever had in the UK, and they were half my age or less.

From what I see of young, good looking white male tourists in Thailand, their white gfs are generally overweight and ugly. I can't understand it, it's as if all the attractive white women are too busy posting selfies on instagram to actually date any white guys. 

Thailand still has plenty of slim and attractive women available at bargain prices.

Don't know about bargain prices though, and to find a slim attractive one like they were back in the 90s one would have to go on line now.

Even if one sees a slim attractive BG in a bar, like as not they are on their phone looking for a customer on line. Certainly not interested in the passing "hansum men" anymore.

2 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Therein lies the rub.  Bust one's hump to do a good job and deal with rude, drunk or ignorant tourists who couldn't give a crap, en masse.  People who see you as just lowly peons.  It happens in crowded city locations where it's dog-eat-dog conditions.  Get up-country and it can be a bit more genteel, though foreigners are not the novelty they once were.

Though I haven't visited in years, my modest Thai language and a genuine interest in the common people has been rewarding.  Chit-chat with sellers in the small markets, admire and tease children hanging about, talk with old people, that sort of stuff. I was a U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer in 1977-79.  Never did much really useful in western terms but I felt like a low-level Ambassador.  Dirt-poor farmers liked me.  I would go to junkyards and buy scrap metal stuff they could use.  Give them a ride on my motorbike to "go see a man about a dog". If I ate at their house, it was sticky rice, some hot pepper, salt and whatever weeds they could collect out back (vegetarian).  I was cheap to feed and gave them a lot of laughs.  Especially the time I climbed way up a coconut tree to get one and the black ants got me.  Hilarious.

Times change.

The farmers have their own m'bikes now, eat western style garbage from the mom and pop shops that sell mainly fat and sugar snacks/ drinks, are improving their houses, are on the internet and many even have pickup trucks.

People who see you as just lowly peons. 

Now it's more likely that they see us as ATMs.

11 minutes ago, Perhaps2more said:

I'm afraid, you are heading towards a shark infested part of the pond in that antique silver shadow submarine of yours. Be careful! You might sink to the dark abyss again.

Perhaps2more replies ?

Image result for gif of someone yawning

On 7/15/2019 at 2:01 PM, brommers said:

Thailand has yet to learn a few basic lessons in the world of today.

It is no longer a quaint exotic destination for westerners. They have seen beyond the smiles and wais and it isn't so attractive.

Regional tourists are much more fickle than long haul & can switch to new destinations quickly & easily.

Social media has accelerated to speed of bad news, and there is plenty here to feed the social media machine.

There are many more regional alternatives than even 10 years ago and the comparisons are less in Thailand's favour these days.

The strength of the baht is a convenient issue to hide behind & is less of an issue than many believe.

Sadly those in government responsible for tourism are as inept as the Trump administration. They have no strategies, only a naive short term promotion fixation. They also do not realise the speed and power of the storms that will engulf tourism here.

Your comment was going well until you compared this Gov't to Trump ! How would the US  be under Shillary and pedo Bill ? Your Looney Left panties are showing !

On 7/16/2019 at 2:36 AM, Odysseus123 said:

A very good post.

I am in agreement with the those posters who state "one and done"

When I returned to Australia I was surprised by the complete lack of interest shown about Thailand compared to 20 or even 10 years ago..the general philosophy being "Been there,done that and have the Tee shirt to prove it!"

Of course the dynamic that involves Sexpatria is completely different but ,even so,the level of interest seems to be declining.

I remember the 90s. The only topic of conversation on the plane was about Thailand and how it was the be all and end all. Everyone was chomping at the bit to get back as soon as possible by any means they coud.

From around 2010, attitudes changed. Yes, nice enough place and all that, but I think we'll go to Mexico / Dominican Republic / Spain / Cuba next time. It's a big world out there.

For whatever reasons one may cite, Thailand seems to have become just another destination then on to the next.

On 7/16/2019 at 5:49 PM, Perhaps2more said:

Relatively a different league ? China has 1,400 million Chinese, a world market in itself. Within that many are still suffering in poverty. Thailand has 68 million Thais, a village comparing to China, and with massive amount of bad debts. Many Thai economists are expecting a big crash in property soon, while Thai government is increasing international debts year on year. 

Top 20 Economies in the World ; Number 6 ... is India. 

Have you been to India? Do you think it is developed? Are there many extremely poor people? 

Doing well as a country says nothing much about the real people living in it.

(https://www.investopedia.com/insights/worlds-top-economies/)

"Doing well as a country says nothing much about the real people living in it."

An astute observation, sadly wasted on a thread like this.

On 7/15/2019 at 5:28 PM, possum1931 said:

I am not saying that if things get worse it will not affect this website, but what percentage of Thaivisa members do not live in Thailand?

Thaivisa members living in Thailand , really . 555

9 minutes ago, baboon said:

I remember the 90s. The only topic of conversation on the plane was about Thailand and how it was the be all and end all. Everyone was chomping at the bit to get back as soon as possible by any means they coud.

From around 2010, attitudes changed. Yes, nice enough place and all that, but I think we'll go to Mexico / Dominican Republic / Spain / Cuba next time. It's a big world out there.

For whatever reasons one may cite, Thailand seems to have become just another destination then on to the next.

I moved from another Asian country to Thailand in the very early 90's.   I think the big change came after the 1997 crash of the Baht.   I wasn't living in Thailand at the time, but my base was Thailand and I maintained an apartment and was back every few months.   Prior to the crash, the attitude was positive, foreigners were generally treated well and most 'mistreatment' was more in the order of overcharging, scams, etc.   In-your-face hostility was close to non-existent.

Not too long after the crash, when I returned, the attitude was one of doom and gloom and the whole baht fiasco was primarily blamed on foreign elements.   Farangs were viewed much more suspiciously.   It was the first time I ever felt mildly unsafe in my neighborhood.    

The baht crash woke many average Thais up to the fact that they are a part of an international community and it has an effect on them and the effect was not positive.   This resulted in the rise of Thaksin, for better or worse, and with it came more nationalism.   

The status of being a foreigner dropped in the eyes of locals and has never been regained.   

I kind of doubt that the political situation in Thailand is a major factor in the decline of Western tourists in recent years. The strengthening of the baht is more of a factor than that, I think. Feel free to disagree ????

Changing  of the visitor demographics could be even more of a factor. It is so for my country, Turkey, for example. I think that the more Arab tourists come here (and don't forget the high number of Arab and other refugees and migrants in Turkey, especially since 3-4 years ago), the fewer Western tourists visit here. Nowadays, in my city, Istanbul, many shops, bars etc. cater mainly to Arab tourists and understandably, this situation doesn't suit most Western tourists. It doesn't even suit many of us locals. Me and my pals hardly ever go to Taksim Square (I am sure many of you know of the place) and the nearby areas anymore, because the area has changed a lot, for worse, me and my pals feel, especially since about 4-5 years ago. Some call the area 'Mini-Syria' ????  It is actually quite sad of course ????

Of course, drawing a comparison with Thailand on this issue is not straightforward, but one can draw SOME parallels, I guess.

Demographics have changed and the Thailand fondly remembered of generations past is no longer as appealing to current generations beyond a single destination to check off the list. Repeat tourists of various forms will decline over time, with the exception of those of us who still have a bond to the place and memories. 

Absolutely declining, more like tanking.  I have friends who will not come back.  Thailand is simply NO longer the place it was.  Not worth it on so many levels from poor baht exchange, to rip offs, dirty beaches, corruption, immigration nonsense, High road fatality, etc.

10 minutes ago, tjo o tjim said:

Demographics have changed and the Thailand fondly remembered of generations past is no longer as appealing to current generations beyond a single destination to check off the list. Repeat tourists of various forms will decline over time, with the exception of those of us who still have a bond to the place and memories. 

This is very true. Those old enough to fondly remember Leonardo DiCaprio in The Beach are already 40 or older, and that Thailand is a long distant dream. And, The Beach was largely a joke for those older than 40, so the romance has truly gone.

The currently high value of the Thai Baht to US dollars may have US citizens choosing other expat options for their retirement. The other issue is the immigration hoops a US Citizen must go through to stay in Thailand for being married to a Thai citizen. The requirement to have 400,000 Bht in a Thai bank account throughout the application process is excessive. To have to prove I make more than 40,000 Bht a month in income is also excessive. I do, but it goes into my bank in the USA first. They want it to come direct into my Thai Bank account. No way that is going to happen! It is disability income. I have a legal address in the USA and I intend to keep that, because I still vote as a citizen and because my medical benefits are tied to my address in the USA. If I change my legal address I lose my medical benefits.

On 7/16/2019 at 6:56 PM, Perhaps2more said:

Pride often gets people in to big trouble for something worthless. Grow up and stay focus. 

You commented on Tuesday how pride often gets people in big trouble, when I commented how Thai's are ripping farangs off even more today than they were yesterday, with the my most recent experience being 20 baht in a food court, i.e. less change.

Yet the news of late is about 2 Ozzie girls being ripped off, but I haven't seen you make any comment in the TVF article about the two Ozzie girls who got ripped off on their journey in a minivan from Phuket Airport to Karon, i.e. they paid 1,500 baht each for the trip, oh that's right, they have must have too much pride and should have shut up and accepted the fact that they got ripped off, I mean 1,500 baht each is not a lot of money for the 47km journey which would normally cost 800 baht for the two to ride in a taxi to Karon.

Cat got your tongue ?

Cat Kitten Black cat Whiskers cat mammal small to medium sized cats vertebrate cat like mammal cartoon whiskers fauna

Archived