Can't Open Bank Account To Get A Retirement Visa

Here is what happened to me, it might help you:

I was at Siam City Bank and my wife (not Thai but Work Permit) had already an account there and those guys did not want me to be account holder since I only have Non-O, they stated some laws.

I stopped smiling and told him that we put monthly more in that account than he puts into his account in a year, and that this is discrimination (which it is) and that I would need a signed and stamped paper from him stating that he will not allow me to be account holder. And I got louder with every reply. I know this is not the best to do here, but after all its for an account, so I risked losing my and his face.

And it worked, within 10 minutes we got a new account in which I was account holder. Strangely no Thai law broken. Even though I had to make a cross at the "Housewife" since they dont usually seem to have man as spouses here. :o

If I would not know it better by now, I would almost say this is racism and despotism at its best. After all I guess there is no Thai law its just Thai will that was missing. And they did not even want to see the marriage certificate in the end.

Cheers,

Starkus

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same problems. I am visiting Thailand without visa or sometimes on tourist visa and I am planning to invest into a business in Bangkok. To transfer funds I wanted to open a bank account.

Almost all banks in Bangkok told me that from January 2007 you need a work permit or non-resident visa to open an account.

Finally, Kassikorn Bank (K-Bank) agreed to open a savings account if I had an address in Thailand. Due to my frequent stays I rented an apartment in Bangkok and they gave me a savings account which can be used for international transfer of funds into Thailand.

Maybe you do it this way and after receiving your non-resident visa you can get a current account if you wished so.

<br />any branch of the the major thai banks will welcome ur money regardless of ur visa status. as far as i understand the law, which doesnt mean anything, hehe, u should be able to establish an account without any hassle at any branch office.<br /><br />siam panit, kassikorn thai, and bbl around the vic monument have been known to be most accommodating.<br /><br />cheers<br />
<br /><br /><br />

<br />
<br />any branch of the the major thai banks will welcome ur money regardless of ur visa status. as far as i understand the law, which doesnt mean anything, hehe, u should be able to establish an account without any hassle at any branch office.<br /><br />siam panit, kassikorn thai, and bbl around the vic monument have been known to be most accommodating.<br /><br />cheers<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

I opened two accounts last year. One at Siam Commercial and the other at Bangkok Bank. They both first said I need a work permit. I told them I had a one year retirement visa (OA) and then they said okay. I had tried the year before with a tourist visa and I was told I cannot open an account. I live in Muang Phuket 8 months a year and get my retirement visa through the Royal Thai Consulate in Los Angeles California, USA...

What VISA do you have currently and where did you obtain it or is it a 30 day VOA ?

Its a non immigrant O visa from the UK

Thanks for replies folks, looks like a joint account maybe the way to go as I dont fancy having to travel 750km just to get a letter to confirm that the funds are there

Have a look at the Bank of Ayudhya website. You may be able to open an account by down loading the forms for there visa account and then mail them in. I have two accounts with them they are very very helpful. If you do not find an online application facility ( I use on line with them to manage my accounts) email them through the "contact us" facility and explain your problem, I am confident they will help.

I wanted to relate my very recent (yesterday April 3) experience:

Krung Thai Bank in Khun Han (middle of countryside south of Sisaket in Isaan)

Asked to open a savings account and got the customary 'no can do'

Smiled a lot, wnet back with a Thai friend who lives in the town.

Told the lady again with a lot of smiles that she was my only hope as I wanted to settle there and only Krung Thai Bank has a branch.

Was told that if I was on my friend's Tabien Bann could do. Explained that was not possible for farangs to be included on tabien baan or have their own if not married. Told then that if my friend gave a copy of his tabien bann with the implication that I would be living with him the BINGO could do.

Went back with copy of my passport (no mention of visa, work permit or other such didn't even look at passport itself)

Got bank book ATM card and internet banking but it took the best paert of 90 minutes to complete with a bank full of waiting customers.....

At one time I even sat next to the staff to help her with the input of my name in her computer

TIT with loads of smiles

I wanted to relate my very recent (yesterday April 3) experience:

Krung Thai Bank in Khun Han (middle of countryside south of Sisaket in Isaan)

Asked to open a savings account and got the customary 'no can do'

Smiled a lot, wnet back with a Thai friend who lives in the town.

Told the lady again with a lot of smiles that she was my only hope as I wanted to settle there and only Krung Thai Bank has a branch.

Was told that if I was on my friend's Tabien Bann could do. Explained that was not possible for farangs to be included on tabien baan or have their own if not married. Told then that if my friend gave a copy of his tabien bann with the implication that I would be living with him the BINGO could do.

Went back with copy of my passport (no mention of visa, work permit or other such didn't even look at passport itself)

Got bank book ATM card and internet banking but it took the best paert of 90 minutes to complete with a bank full of waiting customers.....

At one time I even sat next to the staff to help her with the input of my name in her computer

TIT with loads of smiles

When I came over from the UK in December to sort a rented house out in Korat I went all round the banks and all said I needed a work permit and my Non O was no good. Then I visited Kasikorn and they could not be more helpful and opened a savings account with just 5,000 baht straight away and they issued an ATM/cash card. They asked if I wanted to be able to withdraw up to 50,000 baht a day on it too. I have been in several of their other banches and all have been helpful. Back in the UK in January just prior to relocating to Korat I asked my English bank to transfer some money but unfortunately I was unaware that you cannot transfer more than $20,000 (or equivalent), without paperwork but this was swiftly sorted out by a friendly guy who phoned me and emailed me from the Bangkok Head office to the UK.

In the mega xenophobic days of yor, (30 years ago) banking in Thailand was very restricted and it was seen as a privilege to be enjoyed by only Thai people. Giving a bank account to a non Thai, was seen as betraying their country or giving up national sovereignty, to allow non Thai to open bank accounts in this lovely country.

In those days, I am led to believe a Thai person had to have permission from a government department, to open a bank account and copies of sighted originals of all grandparents birth certificates where a necessity! Unless one had a “friend” or relative, or graduated from the same institution as a bank officer. Then it was open slather!

This is one of the reasons we had the 1997 crash. A good “friend” said yes to an unsecured bank loan and the rest is history.

Sadly this mentality is still very prevalent in the local banking community, particularly upcountry which is still in a banking time warp!

I have personally always found the approval and openness of all bank officers, from a corporate level right down to the front office staff of Siam Commercial Bank, makes it easy for non Thai citizens to open bank accounts with them. They want your business!

I once opened a bank account with a tourist visa and a copy of my Thai marriage certificate. SCB are also not tooooooo big and can be personal, something BBL and Kasikorn have a tendency not to be.

Oh also don’t walk in to a bank with a large fist full of small denomination baht with funny white residue on it and try to open a bank account, as this turn a few heads, unless you have a “friend”:o

After you have opened the bank account, use the convenient cash deposit machines, every bank has for this endeavor.

Badbanker