Poll: Has any Thai person (other than an immigration officer) told you to go back to your home country?

Jingthing

Farang Go Home?  

276 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It occurs to me that pretty much everyday we hear non-Thais on this forum suggest that fellow foreigners go back to their home countries if they are not totally happy here about everything and / or have any complaints about life here at all.

Of course when people say that online, it's totally obnoxious.

But that's non-Thais talking to non-Thais.

But this poll is about something different.

It's about actual Thai people in person in Thailand (except for immigration officers if you're literally being booted out for cause).

Has any Thai person ever told you that in person?

If so, please comment on those experiences, what were the circumstances, and how did it make you feel.

I'm assuming it's very uncommon for people to have experiences like that because it's never happened to me. But maybe I'm wrong about that. Thus this poll.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you well know, most Thais are entirely too polite to say such a thing to an expats face regardless of how much they might want to do so.

If looks could send me packing, then I have received this message infrequently over the years...

44 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

As you well know, most Thais are entirely too polite to say such a thing to an expats face regardless of how much they might want to do so.

If looks could send me packing, then I have received this message infrequently over the years...

I have received what might be perceived as there aforementioned "dirty looks". But, with very rare exception, when I break out in a big smile, I get a smile back. So often, we reap what we sow.

Living here, since 2007, I have never had a Thai, or anyone, tell me to go back to the States. However, online, I'm sure plenty of people, from many nationalities, simply wish I would go away!

53 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Given your remarks on Thaivisa about Thais and other asians its no wonder that you get dirty looks. If I had an attitude like that im sure I would not be really popular either.

I've been told that several times, almost invariably when trying to get some Thai to either do their job properly or to stop overcharging or stealing or otherwise bending/breaking the rules.

Just once I was told it at random by some loony in the street whom I didn't know and had never met.

28 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

More importantly did they tell you to go home fix your mess of a country and come back and show us how?

No. I think that kind of crass attitude only exists in America, and only by a certain kind of American.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Nice to see another Thai positive poll meant to bring out the goodness of the relationships between Thais and expats.  

If you read the reply's to the poll, it does seem to be exactly that. Not much bon homie between expats though.

I've been told that several times, almost invariably when trying to get some Thai to either do their job properly or to stop overcharging or stealing or otherwise bending/breaking the rules.
Just once I was told it at random by some loony in the street whom I didn't know and had never met.

But obviously a good judge of character !! [emoji51]

A "do you know who I am" type Thai ,told me he could report

me to immigration and get me deported,when I asked him 

nicely,if he could turn his engine off ,while we were parked

waiting for my daughter coming out of a music lesson,I had

my engine off and window open,he's reversed alongside,and

the smoke is coming in my open window.

He came out with the "do you know who I am " No,who

are you,I own 3 schools in Chiang Mai,I can get you deported,

I replied ,i would have thought you would be an intelligent

person to own 3 schools,but it does not look like it,he quickly

drove away.

regards Worgeordie

I have found that usually when any resident or local in any country tells a visitor or a non resident to leave is when that individual is a problem or continual nuisance to some degree. If you integrate and just go about your business there would be no reason to ever be asked to leave. 

I would think the guys who frequent beer bars would get that when a girl is not being rewarded as handsomely as she anticipated.  "Farang no gip munnee farang no good!"

7 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

"do you know who I am"

You mean you don't know?  :biggrin:

Thais are way too polite to tell you to go home. They just ask you when you will be returning home. But if you happen to answer "I plan to stay here forever!" they rarely seem pleased. All I ever get is a confused or crestfallen look.

26 minutes ago, RobboR said:

Most foreigners can't speak or understand Thai so this poll is null & void

And most Thais can't speak English either!! 

Hard to understand insults etc when neither can understand each other

Ignorance is bliss. I thank the Lord every day that I can't understand my wife when she goes into a full blown Lao/Issan rant.

44 minutes ago, RobboR said:

Most foreigners can't speak or understand Thai so this poll is null & void

And most Thais can't speak English either!! 

Hard to understand insults etc when neither can understand each other

I always wondered what would be the point of insulting someone that wouldn't understand what you are saying to them. I mean the entire point of an insult is to get a reaction of some sort. ????

However usually when someone wants to insult another it is after that person has done something to upset them or made them angry. 

Archived