Is the 90-day border run under suspicion?

I normally get a Non-O Marriage extension in country, but this year I got a multi-entry marriage visa from Savannakhet. I'm coming up to my 90-day refresh, but I'm getting a bit worried, with stories on TVf about IO's making it difficult, and the current atmosphere around interpretation of rules.

Doing a turnaround or 'border-run' is not in the spirit of the ME visa, but for 'personal reasons' I need to be out and back the same day, probably at Mukdahan or Nakhon Phanom.

Anyone had problems with the border run recently?  - I'll take a copy of wife's ID, blue book, marriage cert - it might help.

Thanks.

As @ubonjoe indicated, crossings with Laos are fine, and the crossing that carries the greatest risk is Poipet. It is worth noting, for others who might reference this thread that Padang Besar (based on recent reports) and Ranong (based on sporadic reports over a couple of years) are probably also best avoided if possible.

7 hours ago, elviajero said:

Mukdahan is a good choice. 

If you you want to delay the “border run”  you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife. No financials required.

I had no idea that was even an option. I've been here 10 years, on and off, and still get confused with the array of visas and extensions. 60 days sounds worthwhile, but it's still putting off the inevitable.

8 minutes ago, RickBlaine said:

I had no idea that was even an option. I've been here 10 years, on and off, and still get confused with the array of visas and extensions. 60 days sounds worthwhile, but it's still putting off the inevitable.

Any entry you make using the ME visa can be extended by 60 days.

Yes it is putting off the inevitable, but if you work out your exits and extensions you can make one less border run during the life of the visa than if you exit every 90 days.

7 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

Why not just do a one year extension at the local immigration office? Should be easy if you have 400K in the bank for 2 months.

That's what I normally do, but due to 'logistical' reasons I transferred too late and missed the 60 day 'seasoning' window here, so I got a visa at Savannakhet. I'll go back to visa extensions next year!

5 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Any entry you make using the ME visa can be extended by 60 days.

Yes it is putting off the inevitable, but if you work out your exits and extensions you can make one less border run during the life of the visa than if you exit every 90 days.

That's an interesting thought. Thanks.

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Most of the reports you are probably reading are for those on tourist visas or trying to do a visa exempt entry.

The only border crossing making problems for those with a multiple entry non-o visa is Poi Pet to Cambodia.

You will not have any problems entering at a crossings to Laos.

Thanks for that. 'Many' years ago I was on a non-B, doing border runs at Nong Khai. Everything felt more relaxed then.    

20 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

They do the same in other countries ( US and others). They want to make sure its not a marriage of convenience. A lunch for 4 or 5 at a nice place is about B1000 or less and it gives you a chance to ask questions. Well worth it in my opinion. Other stuff is easy.

They do not do the same in the US- after a few years- your Thai spouse will be provided a peremanent residence card and status and does not have to report anywhere unless leaving the country .   The requirements for this are showing an income of around $24,000 but that income includes any assets such as a house or car or income from a job to equal the total.  Your  wife in the USa once receiving this can buy land; obtain any social benefits Americans get and live peacefully forever.

No such thing in Thailand. One has to show the 400K each year regardless of income stream. I cant use my other assets- condo, house, cars etc and I do not get permanent residence after a few years. I have no standing except as a temporary vvvisitor. One can be married for 50 years and still have no status in Thailand.

This is hardly fair and equal treatment and some people  refuse to play the Immigration game of inequality.

• Like 1