Wongsakul named new attorney general

webfact

Wongsakul named new attorney general

By The Nation

800_2ded0d72075f083.jpeg?v=1563433686

The Public Prosecution Commission Thursday selected a new attorney general to succeed outgoing Khemchai Chutwong, who will retire at the end of September at the age of 65.

Prayut Phetkhun, deputy spokesman of the Office of the Attorney General, said the Public Prosecution Commission, voted unanimously to select Wongsakul Kittipromwong, director of the Special Cases Division, as the new and 15th attorney general.

Wongsakul will take office on October 1, succeeding Khemchai.

The meeting of the commission was chaired by Atthapol Yaisawang, the chairman of the commission.

Wongsakul was the only candidate nominated for consideration as the attorney general.

Prayut said the Office of the Attorney General will send Wongsakul’s name to be endorsed by the Senate. After he is endorsed, he will be serve a first tenure of two years. 

Wongsakul will be the first director of a division to rise to the top post of public prosecutor who has not come from the deputy attorney general or inspector general levels, as other prosecutors in these posts of deputy generals and inspector-generals are 65 years old and due to retire. Wongsakul was therefore considered the most senior public prosecutor eligible for the top post.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30373190

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-07-18

I know nothing about this character (the new Attorney General) - but I am sure that he has a long and proud history of championing human rights, human dignity, the right to freedom of speech and freedom of conscience, and the right to oppose tyranny and the right to speak truth to Power ....

45 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I know nothing about this character (the new Attorney General) - but I am sure that he has a long and proud history of championing human rights, human dignity, the right to freedom of speech and freedom of conscience, and the right to oppose tyranny and the right to speak truth to Power ....

A snap shot of who he was aligned to when human right lawyers pressure the AG to quickened the prosecution of Suthep 2009 case. Probably why he was chosen.  

Wongsakul Kittipromwong, chief of the Department of Special Litigation, yesterday dismissed the petition as pressure on prosecutors.

Archived