Pope scheduled to visit Thailand this November

webfact

By The Thaiger

20160914T0844-5137-CNS-POPE-AUDIENCE-PRI

Pope Francis is scheduled to visit Thailand and Japan this November, according to reports in Catholic websites in Rome. sanook.com reported the news yesterday.

His visit will coincide with the 350th year anniversary of the presence of the Roman Catholic Church in Thailand. As of 2018, there are 379,975 Catholics in Thailand, a figure that represents 0.46% of the total Thai population of 69 million. There are 11 dioceses with 436 parishes and 662 priests.

Pope Francis will be the second Pope to visit Thailand, after Pope John Paul 2.

The first historical record of an attempt to introduce Christianity to Thailand is owed to John Peter Maffei who stated that about 1550 a French Franciscan named Bonferre, hearing of the great kingdom of the Peguans and the Siamese in the East, went on a Portuguese ship from Goa to Cosme (Peguan), where for three years he preached the Gospel, but without any result.

SOURCES: sanook.com | Wikipedia

Source: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/events/pope-scheduled-to-visit-thailand-this-november

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-07-22

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, webfact said:

It will be a smash show-biz hit.

General Morlock gets glitzy photo ops with the West’s most famous supernatural being….and the peasants will be treated to elaborate ritual events with a farang who wears really expensive dresses.

A wonderful time will be had by all...

2 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

It will be a smash hit. The Imperial Morlock gets glitzy photo ops with one of the West’s famous mythical beings….and the peasants will be treated to an elaborate ritual with a farang who wears really fancy and really expensive dresses.

So a visit to Tiffany's and walking street is on the cards??

4 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

It will be a smash hit. The Imperial Morlock gets glitzy photo ops with one of the West’s famous mythical beings….and the peasants will be treated to an elaborate ritual with a farang who wears really fancy and really expensive dresses.

I thought Dame Edna Everage had retired?

12 minutes ago, ehs818 said:

OK, so when is he scheduled to be in Thailand?? Will there be a parade? What are the events planned around his visit?

I can see this going off at a tangent straight away.

Blessing of holy water (same as done here by monks) and St. Christopher lucky charms (aka amulets).

Come to think of it, is doing all this 'work' and will require a WP?

2 hours ago, pegman said:

Catholics have a presence in Thailand? Who knew? 

Me for one. There is a sizable population in north east Issan. They are mainly refugees and their descendants who fled Vietnam during the war years there. They are now nationalised Thais.

The small town of Ban Don Chiang, on the north shore of Nong Han lake is almost entirely Roman Catholic.

2 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Hope he doesn't run into a grumpy immigration oficial having a bad hair day. 

......or bad hat day !

Did anyone know there were almost 400,000 Catholics here. 

I know there are several churches in and close to Bangkok but almost 400k ?

I thought the churches were for expats.

I have never met a Thai catholic.

Maybe the TAT supplied these stats to lure in big spending Italians.(sic)

Archived