Phuket Poll: Environmental damage, prices too high

webfact

Phuket Poll: Environmental damage, prices too high

By The Phuket News

1563600257_1-org.jpg

Sun, sand and sea can be enjoyed for free in Phuket, but many other things come at a pretty high price. Photo: The Phuket News File

PHUKET: The environmental damage caused by tourism and the cost of living in Phuket are both far too high, according to a vast majority of people responding to an online poll by The Phuket News.

The online poll, which ran for just over one week and obtained in total nearly 800 responses, was launched at the request of Piramon Tisapramotkul, a student at Glenlyon Norfolk School in British Columbia, Canada. Mr Piramon is to include the results in an economic paper he is writing on the sustainability of tourism in Phuket.

The poll comprised two questions: 1) “Do you think the cost of living in Phuket is too high?”; and 2) “Do you think the environmental damage from tourism is too high?”

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-poll-environmental-damage-prices-too-high-72207.php#BWQxtgQLto4kiGsW.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-07-22

Phuket has an identity crisis. What does it want to be?

A modern city Island or a sleepy holiday Island? 

The charm of the commercial pickup's converted into a legal passenger transportation is what you expect in a sleepy holiday Island, not a world class destination. 

5 star prices for 2 star services. 

Phuket is a mess. 

I was in the travel business for 30 years and watched places like Kathmandu, Bali and Phuket get destroyed by that simple business strategy of 'growth'. More people, more hotel rooms, more sales will bring us more profit. The destruction of the simple pleasures of clean seas, quiet atmosphere, uncrowded beaches, un-jammed traffic and greened areas leaves these places more like war zones rather than places of tranquillity. So people move on to a new quiet place and ultimately do the same again.

1 hour ago, Lungstib said:

I was in the travel business for 30 years and watched places like Kathmandu, Bali and Phuket get destroyed by that simple business strategy of 'growth'. More people, more hotel rooms, more sales will bring us more profit. The destruction of the simple pleasures of clean seas, quiet atmosphere, uncrowded beaches, un-jammed traffic and greened areas leaves these places more like war zones rather than places of tranquillity. So people move on to a new quiet place and ultimately do the same again.

it is possible to do but it involves "planning" and here, well, anyone with a bit of land can build nearly anything they want.. so they do

hence the chaos.

9 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

it is possible to do but it involves "planning" and here, well, anyone with a bit of land can build nearly anything they want.. so they do

hence the chaos.

Like scrap yards in a residential area

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

It gets worse than that. 

A friend of mine got a prawn farm built next door to his place. The smells are horrendous. 

They leave bright lights on all night when feeding the stock. 

His complaints fall on deaf ears. 

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

yep, some guy out in the country near me has got a beautiful 2 rai plot with 2 villas on it and lovely gardens.

now they are building what looks like a giant factory next to it. i totally feel for the guy, worst nightmare, it runs the length of his property and is only 1 meter from his wall. got to be 8 meters tall. and as if to rub the salt in.. the carpark is on the other side, no consideration at all ????

The biggest problem with phuket is undoubtably the raw sewage being dumped onto beaches and into the sea. This needs to be stopped asap.

In terms of overall costs, i would argue that value for money is still relatively reasonable or good compared to other places in SE asia.

Archived