Chiang Mai Airport: Grab car driver says he was attacked - airport director denies it

webfact

Chiang Mai Airport: Grab car driver says he was attacked - airport director denies it

1pm1.jpg
Thai caption:  I was in the wrong but this was OTT

A Grab Car driver told the Thai media that he was attacked by officials at Chiang Mai airport and wound up in hospital. 

The airport director has said that is nonsense - and has CCTV to back up his claim. 

The row started when Suchart Chaipraya, 39, responded to a call to pick up foreign tourists at the airport.

He disobeyed airport regulations by entering the airport without a passenger. 

After the tourists entered the Ford car, security at the airport tried to get them to exit and they wanted to question the driver. 

He drove off but was stopped in another part of the terminal.

The tourists got out and Suchart was taken away for questioning. 

1pm2.jpg
Thai caption: There was no attack, check the CCTV

He said he was attacked in a room after trying to get away following a bathroom break. 

He admitted he shouldn't have gone to the airport but said he shouldn't have been attacked either. 

Airport director Amornrak Xumsai Na Ayudhya said the Grab car driver should not have been there are was blocking traffic. 

CCTV showed he had not been attacked and other footage from mobile phones has been supplied to the police.

He claimed that the Grab car driver was the one who had got out a weapon in the form of a short truncheon. 

Sources: Daily NewsDaily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-22

Why are they so averse to grab picking up passengers? How dare a tourist want a clean and modern car with a pre approved fixed price. Of course they should go with all the touts hanging around outside waiting to overcharge some poor schmuck instead...

6 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Why are they so averse to grab picking up passengers

Hmmm, because they have a low mentality, and this is why I avoid taxis in Thailand, I will only use a private company, usually the same price or even lower, or hire a car and drive myself, problem easily fixed, no driver with a low mentality.

If it's not taxi drivers (mafia) it's Thai's trying to rip off the Farang, welcome to the LOS ????

7 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

I can feel a "good taxi driver story" coming on ....

I can see the headline now - "Songthaew driver praised by police for not bashing Grab taxi driver offering a cheaper and better service than him" 

Well done that man.

Grab is better and it should be what the customer and person wants, not what they think should be forced upon them. Such an Un- Holy abyss Thailand is digging down into. Keep it up and tourism will fall another 30% and then 30% of expats will pick up and leave. 

Last time I got dropped off at CNX by a Grab Driver I saw a large sign at the entrance with the GRAB in green and the a Red diagonal line over it.  The driver said he can drop off passengers but cannot pick up from the airport.  I do not condone what happened to this Grab driver but my last Grab drive knew he was not allowed to pickup passengers from the Airpot.  

Archived