Summer of 1969

bendejo

A little too young for Woodstock. Parents wouldn't let me borrow the car :biggrin:

Not that summer but an event I remember well and would have ramifications.  The media jumped all over it because there it was on those nice california beaches. Santa Barbara is also a very wealthy SC community. Great photo ops. Front page National Geographic

January 28 – 1969 Santa Barbara oil spill: A blowout on Union Oil's Platform A spills 80,000 to 100,000 barrels of crude oil into a channel and onto the beaches of Santa Barbara County in Southern California; on February 5 the oil spill closes Santa Barbara's harbor. The incident inspires Wisconsin Senator Gaylord Nelson to organize the first Earth Day in 1970.

busted fer 3 joints late 1968 and was sent down to Orange County Jail there to abide my easter holiday last year of high school 1969...the terms of probation included attending college until I turned 21 which got me out of the draft...

about a year later in Berkeley a pal handed me a paper grocery bag and said 'here tuts, help me with this, we gots to walk it over a few blocks to a new location...' later out on the busiest part of Telegraph Ave I said 'this is heavy, whatchoo got in here?' and he said very calmly 'oh, about 6 - 7 kilos of weed...'...being on probation at the time I got a bit nervous...he was carrying the same amount and the sun shined outta his azzhole...just two dudes walking along 'the Avenue' with their shopping from the supermarket...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1