New Flight Paths From Chiang Mai Airport?

Robbogeordie

3 hours ago, Robbogeordie said:

Used to be peaceful and now there are planes flying over at all hours day and night. 

i don't know about chiang mai but at some airports if the prevailing winds change direction the landing and takeoff directions are reversed. or it could just be a huge increase in flights.

how long has this been going on?

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i don't know about chiang mai but at some airports if the prevailing winds change direction the landing and takeoff directions are reversed. or it could just be a huge increase in flights.

how long has this been going on?

There were no planes at all before, just the occasional hot air balloons! The planes started flying over about 2 weeks ago, every day since then. Starts about 6am and goes on until midnight.

Thanks for the flight tracking link.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

does this look like they are over your location?

live flight tracking. CM is airport code CNX. 

https://flightaware.com/live/airport/VTCC

Screenshot_2019-07-22  Chiang Mai Int'l Airport (Chiang Mai) VTCC CNX Flight Tracker ✈ FlightAware.png

Yes, it does.

The planes are flying north inside the mountain range over the conference centre, Huay Teung Tao and starting the turn just past there towards Maejo direction by the look of the map.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

does this look like they are over your location?

live flight tracking. CM is airport code CNX. 

https://flightaware.com/live/airport/VTCC

Screenshot_2019-07-22  Chiang Mai Int'l Airport (Chiang Mai) VTCC CNX Flight Tracker ✈ FlightAware.png

These are the regular flight paths to/from CNX. In addition, flights head north to Pai and North West China, also west to Mae Hong Son. Could the extra flights be "rain making" planes?

Those 'rain maker' planes may be propeller powered since they need to go slow to stir up the clouds and drop the dope.

I do see propeller planes coming and going from CNX.  Some seem very like the old DC3, but this is a modern country so that cannot be correct. 

I am living between Hang Dong and yhe airport and usually I watch most of the planes landing almost over my house wuth the landing gear down.  Over Big C 2 minutes later.

Usually take off is the other way over Mae Jo but if the traffic islight they make a hard right turn after take off and go South.

During bad weather I notice they sometimes land in the other direction from North to South.  

• Like 1

I used to live in Brisbane Australia which has one main runway so can take off/land either way due to prevailing winds. To "share" the noise around they would take various flight paths at various times. There is even a website that has the outputs of noise meters placed around Brisbane in the various flight paths. Obviously can't do too much about immediate take off/landing zones but just before landing and soon after takeoff flight path can be, and is often altered.

Could be doing that here but I doubt it.

• Like 1

Even a small variation in temperature has a significant effect on aircraft climb performance. It may be that aircraft are taking longer to reach their safe turn altitude and going an extra mile or two before turning  thus taking them over Mae Jo, whereas before, they turned inside the outer ring road.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

Obviously can't do too much about immediate take off/landing zones but just before landing and soon after takeoff flight path can be, and is often altered.

6 minutes ago, Maybole said:

Even a small variation in temperature has a significant effect on aircraft climb performance. It may be that aircraft are taking longer to reach their safe turn altitude and going an extra mile or two before turning  thus taking them over Mae Jo, whereas before, they turned inside the outer ring road.

Interesting that since the very wet weather in the the last couple of hours the flight tracker site shows that most of the planes are turning much earlier, well before the outer ring road.