anyone know the cost to build 50sqm carport cover

steven100

Hi all,

I'm building a 50sqm carport cover for 3 cars and the local guy has quoted 2,400 baht/sqm so that's 120,000 baht.

That's including 4 steel poles, zincalum sheet roof with curve back sheets, all steel etc … and concrete floor.

At first I thought the 120,000 was expensive but after checking some prices like the steel poles & steel purlins and the zinc sheets, it is not way high.

The guy will make around 30,000 if done by him.

Remembering also, he has all the responsibility … he manages all his labour, material etc...

so I consider that is possibly within the ball park ???

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I'm building a 50sqm carport cover for 3 cars and the local guy has quoted 2,400 baht/sqm so that's 120,000 baht.

That's including 4 steel poles, zincalum sheet roof with curve back sheets, all steel etc … and concrete floor.

Thats an insane price for 4 poles, a concrete pad, and a steel roof. 

Typically its best to find a builder and get them to quote a labor only price and you buy all the materials. Thats the easiest way to manage cost.

7 minutes ago, steven100 said:

The guy will make around 30,000 if done by him.

Thats a huge margin for what amounts to about a 7 days of work. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

Thats an insane price for 4 poles, a concrete pad, and a steel roof. 

Typically its best to find a builder and get them to quote a labor only price and you buy all the materials. Thats the easiest way to manage cost.

Thats a huge margin for what amounts to about a 7 days of work. 

I hear what your saying …. but the material alone would be 50-60k …. then labour would be 5 guys x 400 x 10-14 days = 28,000+60,000 material= 88k

12-14 days not 7  ?? try and get a shed built in 7 days in Thailand …. near impossible. imo

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I hear what your saying …. but the material alone would be 50-60k …. then labour would be 5 guys x 400 x 10-14 days = 28,000+60,000 material= 88k

12-14 days not 7  ?? try and get a shed built in 7 days in Thailand …. near impossible. imo

You're estimates are for cement trucks or hand mix? I dont think it'll take 2 weeks using concrete trucks (and thats quite a bit of concrete). 

If cement trucks then I think its still quite high of a margin. You'd save alot of money paying labor only and buying materials yourself if your wifey has all the appropriate credit accounts at the local builder supply merchant. 

Youre paying a pretty steep premium for him to do everything for you, but by doing that im sure you can get them on site pretty fast. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

It's going to take 5 guys 12 to 14 days to 

1) put in 4 poles, 

2) pour concrete, 

3) cut and weld the framework for the roof and

5) put the sheets on!?!?

Somebody's having you on. 120k sounds like a lot for, what seems to be, a relatively simply carport. I'd get a few more quotes if I were you. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, djayz said:

It's going to take 5 guys 12 to 14 days to 

1) put in 4 poles, 

2) pour concrete, 

3) cut and weld the framework for the roof and

5) put the sheets on!?!?

Somebody's having you on. 120k sounds like a lot for, what seems to be, a relatively simply carport. I'd get a few more quotes if I were you. 

yeah …. I tend to agree ...problem is when you live in a village it's hard to get quotes. 

At the last house which i rented the owner had a roof built (before i stayed there) on top of existing maybe 1.2 meter high walls in front of the house, so they didn't have to put poles in the soil, but just screw it on the existing walls. The size of it being maybe 20sqm, could also be a bit less.

He once told me that he paid 40k THB for this roof. He is a local Thai guy a bit outside of Udon Thani, living not far from the house which i rented, so we can expect he knows the people and didn't get overcharged.

Imho the 120k which you were quoted seem about right, considering that it's more than twice the size and they also have to add some fundament and floor.

Edited by jackdd
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yeah …. I tend to agree ...problem is when you live in a village it's hard to get quotes. 

I know this problem all too well, and alot of times if you want it cheap, you have to wait for labor to free up as they will take the job when they are free. And if you want it right now then you have to pay. 

• Like 1

Just now, Thainesss said:

I know this problem all too well, and alot of times if you want it cheap, you have to wait for labor to free up as they will take the job when they are free. And if you want it right now then you have to pay. 

exactly ….. that's why in the sticks you can't get something done for what you feel is a good price because the local guy knows there is no others around who will come and do the job.

That's why my 50sqm carport will be 120, 000 as opposed to 80,000 which even I think is high. ( It means nothing to assume it's high price ) if you want it built then pay the quote, if you don't then don't pay. 

????

9 hours ago, pieeyed said:

I built a 20m x 5m car port two years ago. Free labour. 80k for cement, rebar, steel for the posts and rafters.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That's 100sqm …. very big imo.  So 80k just for material ?  

so you think 120k for 50sqm including everything is excessive ?? 

I had one built and when it was time for slab they were quite content to pour cement directly on top of grass. I couldn't believe it when I had to direct them to remove grass first. 

Besides the money be sure everyone is agreement on how....exactly how it is to be done. How posts are to be anchored is another matter to be addressed. What you take for granted as common sense may not be the case here.

3 minutes ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Just did 132m2 Steel carport and Veranda covers with bluescope insulated roof cover.
Labor - 36.500 Baht and bought the materials myself around 55.000 Baht.
The sitting areas and entrance are covered from below with pre-painted Shera wood - you hardly hear a sound when it rains hard.
Carport and behind the house I did not bother with the Shera Wood.

IMG_9888.JPGIMG_9889.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

so all up is around 91,000 baht … that's a good price for 132sqm …  689 baht/m2

so all up is around 91,000 baht … that's a good price for 132sqm …  689 baht/m2

Yes all you need is a local welder and his helpers. We went to 3 different shops and the 3rd one got the job. He also gave us the list of things to buy which worked out very nicely. Thai partner went to a building supply shop ordered everything - they delivered. Shera wood we ordered from Global house.

Cementing is so easy if you order from one of the companies provided you have access for the truck of course.

I might add that we bought a compressor container to spray paint the steel - done in no time.

Cement was extra - but for 50m2 you don’t need much - for a 10 cm cement cover - which is over the top already - you need one truck with 5m3 around 8000 Baht.

Hope that helps !

2 minutes ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Yes all you need is a local welder and his helpers. We went to 3 different shops and the 3rd one got the job. He also gave us the list of things to buy which worked out very nicely. Thai partner went to a building supply shop ordered everything - they delivered. Shera wood we ordered from Global house.
Cementing is so easy if you order from one of the companies provided you have access for the truck of course.
I might add that we bought a compressor container to spray paint the steel - done in no time.
Cement was extra - but for 50m2 you don’t need much - for a 10 cm cement cover - which is over the top already - you need one truck with 5m3 around 8000 Baht.

Our design is slightly different in that there will be 4 poles along the fence line and they have to support the whole 50sqm cover ….  so it's cantilever type, and as such I expect the cost of the steel poles may be higher and obviously heavier than normal posts.

Our design is slightly different in that there will be 4 poles along the fence line and they have to support the whole 50sqm cover ….  so it's cantilever type, and as such I expect the cost of the steel poles may be higher and obviously heavier than normal posts.

I understand what you are saying - we had the same carport done at our old house but that was 7 years ago - that was an all in job for 45.000 baht - parking for 4 cars.

Sorry I found no better picture.

IMG_2169.JPG.7df993ede91365122898156d0128f4f7.JPGIMG_2169.JPG.7df993ede91365122898156d0128f4f7.JPG

• Like 2