How is UOB AS A bank?

I am thinking of opening an account in UOB bank.

I am sick and tired from BANGKOK BANK, especilly that old rude lady

in silom branch.

So i went to UOB and they told me it is quite simple to open an account,

no need for "Letter from embassy" like the idiots from bangkok bank

are asking for any account openning (even if you have an account with

them for ten years and you want to open a new investment account,

they will still ask you for LETTER FROM EMBASSY, how stupid).

Does any one here have experience with UOB? is it good?

Just a thought besides your actual question. Surely you must have thought of switching BKK Bank branch office??? Go to  a new office, away from that old hag.... Here where I live, they only demand to see my tabien baan, and all good. Here you go... No questions asked...  Love BKK Bank..

glegolo

PS UOB Bank, a bank that do not have any officies outside Bangkok..... How good can that be???

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 2

Never got to try them, asked last year at Phitsanulok branch if they had any account that I could open, got the "need a work permit thing". The chap could speak quite good English, and said there had been a general directive to that effect. No negative attitude, and very pleasant staff. 

I Quite like Bangkok, the "need Embassy letter" thing is a pain, tried that with the Daughter, (we were just off the plane at the weekend) she asked if she could just use her Thai ID card.....oh, OK (at a shopping mall branch).

Use Bangkok Branch head office? 

Edited by UKresonant

I asked at UOB and found it funny that they require 50,000 baht for a foreigner to open an account but only 500 bt for a Thai. All the usual banks only required me to deposit 500 baht just like a Thai to open.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

no need for "Letter from embassy" like the idiots from bangkok bank

I have 2 accounts with Bangkok Bank....never needed a letter from anybody to open them?

Edited by dotpoom
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, glegolo said:

they only demand to see my tabien baan, and all good.

Never was asked even for that ...only needed my passport.

Anyway, if I was renting I wouldn't have a Tabien Ban.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Never was asked even for that ...only needed my passport.

Anyway, if I was renting I wouldn't have a Tabien Ban.

same for me, I have 2 accounts with them, one at Emporium and one at Chaeng Wattana. Also have SCB accounts. Never needed anything but passport or pink ID.

• Like 1

I have already 20 years an account with UOB bank, but I am closing my ties with them now.

For every single transaction, they require a certification from the branch where you opened your account.
I opened my account in Bangkok, but I am living now already 19 years in Korat.
A big PITA to call to Bangkok everytime I go to the local branch for a simple transaction.

A few years ago, I opened with them a FCD-account (Euro), because the FAT "lady" at Bangkok didn't want to open a FCD-account.
Strange if you consider that I have a FCD-account in US-Dollars at Bangkok Bank for already 12 years.

At that time, they promised me that it would be possible very soon to do transactions of the FCD-account with their Internet banking software.
But now, nearly 5 years later, it is still not possible to do anything with their lousy Internet banking.
If I want a statement for immigration, I would need to go to Bangkok to get it.

If you live in Bangkok or surroundings, UOB is a great bank.
But outside Bangkok, UOB is a PITA and it's best to avoid them like the plague.

8 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

bangkok bank

are asking for any account openning (even if you have an account with

them for ten years and you want to open a new investment account,

I opened a second account at Bangkok Bank a couple of months ago without the need for an embassy letter. They just looked at my passport and the bank book for the older account.

Maybe requirements are more onerous for people with delightful personalities.

"Rude old lady"

"the idiots from Bangkok Bank"

Edited by Suradit69

2 hours ago, Confuscious said:

I have already 20 years an account with UOB bank, but I am closing my ties with them now.

For every single transaction, they require a certification from the branch where you opened your account.
I opened my account in Bangkok, but I am living now already 19 years in Korat.
A big PITA to call to Bangkok everytime I go to the local branch for a simple transaction.

A few years ago, I opened with them a FCD-account (Euro), because the FAT "lady" at Bangkok didn't want to open a FCD-account.
Strange if you consider that I have a FCD-account in US-Dollars at Bangkok Bank for already 12 years.

At that time, they promised me that it would be possible very soon to do transactions of the FCD-account with their Internet banking software.
But now, nearly 5 years later, it is still not possible to do anything with their lousy Internet banking.
If I want a statement for immigration, I would need to go to Bangkok to get it.

If you live in Bangkok or surroundings, UOB is a great bank.
But outside Bangkok, UOB is a PITA and it's best to avoid them like the plague.

This. I also use uob since nearest branch is 100m away from my condo, no issues whatsoever even for oversea transfers. As long as you provide all documentation regarding source of the money but the online app is kinda meh. Their exchange rates and interest are decent. 

And disagree with post above. 3 years ago I tried opening with Bangkok bank and couldn’t without embassy letter despite having a non-immigrant-b visa back then, and trust me not a money issue. At the time was earning over 5k usd per month already lol. Maybe I just looked too young to them or something. Whatever their loss lol. For uob opened right away with 1m in cash. They were pretty nice ????

Krungsri is also easy but their rates are meh. Their online app is nice thought.  

Edited by Drax
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

I opened a second account at Bangkok Bank a couple of months ago without the need for an embassy letter. They just looked at my passport and the bank book for the older account.

"Rude old lady"

MAYBE you opened a second THB account, but if you open USD or INVESTMENT account with bangkok bank, they want to see the LETTER FROM EMBASSY.

even when buying a new mutual fund they want to see a new LETTER FROM EMBASSY.

the LETTER FROM EMBASSY has nothing to do with one's personality.

it is simply a statement from the embassy that your passport is genuine.

see why i call them idiots ?

they do have a photocopy of my passport, same passport

i opened the account with, and they still want to see

this LETTER FROM EMBASSY again and again.

now isn't that stupid?

and the reason i called that old lady in bangkok bank main branch rude, is because

she forced me to sign my passport.
i tried to explain to her that i don't sign the first page of the passport

for security reasons, my passport has nothing to do with the bank,

but she just said : "NO SIGN - NO OPEN ACCOUNT".

so i signed my passport and now i have a new passport. unsigned.

now isn't that STUPID ???

AND to trust those idiots with my money...

I had immense problems with UOB everytime I needed to use counter services. They are ultra pedantic about perfection of your signature. One time I had to write my signature 15 times! they advised me I had one remaining attempt, then they asked me to leave. This happened in TWO branches so it is a policy thing. Never had any problem at any other bank. After three years of this, I gave up, withdrew all my funds and let the account die.

Edited to correct typos

Edited by revup

I have been dealing with Bangkok Bank for many, many years ,,,, Bangkapi branch 

Current, savings (3) term deposits (2) never had anything but great service,,, they even give ma a ring 2 days before my fixed deposits due so I can renew at the higher interest rate.\

Your slagging of the lady she must pick up your body language.

My short fuse I would have suggested another bank anyway

It’s always amazed me that the Bangkok Bank closest to Soi Nana is the Bangkapi branch in Wattana district whereas Bangkapi district is miles away.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, revup said:

I had immense problems with UOB everytime I needed to use counter services. They are ultra pedantic about perfection of your signature. One time I had to write my signature 15 times! they advised me I had one remaining attempt, then they asked me to leave. This happened in TWO branches so it is a policy thing. Never had any problem at any other bank. After three years of this, I gave up, withdrew all my funds and let the account die.

Edited to correct typos

STRANGE. i had same problem with another bank in singapore.

they said my signature has changed and refused to accept any more orders

by phone. i had to fly over to singapore and "update" my signature.

but even than the bank officer, a yound single lady, kept on giving me hard time,

like faxing me blank pages instead of the document i needed, so i had

to fly over again to singapore just to discover she was after me...because

she liked what she saw in the passport photo...than i closed the account

and never came back to singapore.

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

I have been dealing with Bangkok Bank for many, many years ,,,, Bangkapi branch 

Current, savings (3) term deposits (2) never had anything but great service,,, they even give ma a ring 2 days before my fixed deposits due so I can renew at the higher interest rate.\

Your slagging of the lady she must pick up your body language.

My short fuse I would have suggested another bank anyway

i had another problem with bangkok bank recently.

i wanted to update my phone number but you can't do it by yourself

on the internet.

you have to go to a branch, with three page document (!!) and your passport.

so i did just that few months ago and still they did not change the phone number...

I have a basic savings account and an (unsecured) credit card with UOB. I use their main office on Sathorn as my condo is very close and walkable.

Like mentioned earlier, I’ve had the same issues with insisting the signature match - quite closely - to that of their bank records... but, I don’t really have an issue with that. They’ve even said if my signature has changed or if I just choose to write it differently now, they will be happy to process a signature card change... so to that end, they were accommodating. Other than that, I would rate their service for me as good to even very good. However, I’ve never really had any major “issues” or problems come up with my banking at UOB.

I don’t really travel extensively within Thailand outside of the major cities, so their branch network size really wasn’t a factor for me.

For the accounts, I opened both at the same time.. they first opened basic savings (I deposited B1,000) then they took and submitted my unsecured credit card application.

I only had to give them one set of “docs” like passport, work permit, copy of my previous years PD90/91, employment contract and copies of bank book showing payroll/salary deposits for 6 months.

I suspect, but didn’t directly ask, the fact that the docs required for an unsecured credit card are far more stringent than for a basic savings, I think that’s why I wasn’t asked for anything more.

when i asked few days ago at silom branch, they told me just

passport and some proof of address, like renting contract.

This is what i needed too at the Patong, Phuket branch of UOB last year to open an account with Visa+internet banking.

I also opened a fixed deposit thb account there.

No problem, everything is working fine and the staff speak english well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

"Rude old lady"

I have an USD account with Bangkok bank.
12 years already.
Opened at the Bangkok branch in Silom Rd.

A few month's ago I wanted to open a second FCD account, but in EUR.
I went to the local Bangkok Bank branch in Korat.
They told me that the only documents required were my passport and a proof of residence.
After getting a proof of residence, I returned to the bank to open my FCD account.

But I was rejected as my passport has written in the "Signature" space :
"Free of signature".
I had 25 years ago a stroke which left me paralyzed in the use of my right had and I am therefore excempt of signing an documents.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

I have an USD account with Bangkok bank.
12 years already.
Opened at the Bangkok branch in Silom Rd.

A few month's ago I wanted to open a second FCD account, but in EUR.
I went to the local Bangkok Bank branch in Korat.
They told me that the only documents required were my passport and a proof of residence.
After getting a proof of residence, I returned to the bank to open my FCD account.

But I was rejected as my passport has written in the "Signature" space :
"Free of signature".
I had 25 years ago a stroke which left me paralyzed in the use of my right had and I am therefore excempt of signing an documents.

this is what i am talking about.

stupid old fashioned bank.

what the heck is their business if i sign my passport or not?

anyway the passport stays with me, and can be changed any day.

this is just sheer stupidity.

the idiot who created this regulation must think that the passort

is attached to our brains somehow, and a signature on it will be

the ultimate proof that the passport is genuine, because...we just signed it, did'nt we??

20 hours ago, Drax said:

This. I also use uob since nearest branch is 100m away from my condo, no issues whatsoever even for oversea transfers. As long as you provide all documentation regarding source of the money but the online app is kinda meh. Their exchange rates and interest are decent. 

And disagree with post above. 3 years ago I tried opening with Bangkok bank and couldn’t without embassy letter despite having a non-immigrant-b visa back then, and trust me not a money issue. At the time was earning over 5k usd per month already lol. Maybe I just looked too young to them or something. Whatever their loss lol. For uob opened right away with 1m in cash. They were pretty nice ????

Krungsri is also easy but their rates are meh. Their online app is nice thought.  

For uob opened right away with 1m in cash. They were pretty nice.....I Should Bloody Think so as well !!!

8 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

this is what i am talking about.

stupid old fashioned bank.

what the heck is their business if i sign my passport or not?

anyway the passport stays with me, and can be changed any day.

this is just sheer stupidity.

the idiot who created this regulation must think that the passort

is attached to our brains somehow, and a signature on it will be

the ultimate proof that the passport is genuine, because...we just signed it, did'nt we??

Most European banks let anybody open a bank account without all that "hanky panky" of the Thai banks.
Thailand has a long way to go to get out of their 3rd world image.

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2019 at 3:45 PM, Confuscious said:

Most European banks let anybody open a bank account without all that "hanky panky" of the Thai banks.
Thailand has a long way to go to get out of their 3rd world image.

Opening an account in Europe has become a lot more difficult, and it has become more bureaucratic. They first question you why you want an account with them. They need tax no., proof of money source etc. when you are a newcomer.