Changing funds for UK holiday USD or THB?

I appologise - I am a bit dyslexic when it comes to currency exchange.  I am off to the UK for a 2 week holiday. I have THB here in Thailand and also a US account (an actual account in the US) with USD in there.

When I am In England, I can either:

Use my American card to take GBP out of the ATM - So that would be USD to GBP at the ATM

Use my Thai card to take GBP put of the ATM - So that would be THB to GBP at the ATM

Take THB in cash with me and exchange in UK for GBP

Change THB to GBP in Thailand before I leave

Any ideas what is best?

Appreciate it, thanks!

2 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Change THB to GBP here.

At least enough to survive a week or so if something does not work with the plastic.

After that I would probably use the US card.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

At least enough to survive a week or so if something does not work with the plastic.

After that I would probably use the US card.

I should just say, the THB I have here came from the ATM using my US card.  So basicly I have pulled THB from my US based USD account - now I will be using that THB to change to USD here in Thailand.  Does that make any difference?

I think it depends on whether or not your USA card charges international transaction fees were you to use it in the UK.  If your USA bank does NOT charge those fees....then get your GBP in the UK using US dollars on deposit in the USA.  When doing so, if the ATM in the UK allows you to proceed without using their conversion rate, do so.  You’ll probably find that your USA bank system will provide a better exchange rate.

If you convert your THB to GBP here... you’ll be losing value on those funds for the second time. If you’re planning to come back to Thailand, save the THB for your use when you return.

Thats my two cents!

Edited by Tracyb

5 hours ago, Tracyb said:

I think it depends on whether or not your USA card charges international transaction fees were you to use it in the UK.  If your USA bank does NOT charge those fees....then get your GBP in the UK using US dollars on deposit in the USA.  When doing so, if the ATM in the UK allows you to proceed without using their conversion rate, do so.  You’ll probably find that your USA bank system will provide a better exchange rate.

If you convert your THB to GBP here... you’ll be losing value on those funds for the second time. If you’re planning to come back to Thailand, save the THB for your use when you return.

Thats my two cents!

Thanks Tracyb.  Yes the US bank charges $5 PLUS whatever the UK bank ATM charges, if anything.  

I live in Thailand, just going back to the UK for a couple weeks.

So I guess the best thing to do is just use the ATM in UK as little as possible, see if I can take out a couple of thousand Dollars somewhere maybe and use that while I am there?  

4 hours ago, Batty said:

Thanks Tracyb.  Yes the US bank charges $5 PLUS whatever the UK bank ATM charges, if anything.  

I live in Thailand, just going back to the UK for a couple weeks.

So I guess the best thing to do is just use the ATM in UK as little as possible, see if I can take out a couple of thousand Dollars somewhere maybe and use that while I am there?  

UK bank ATMs don't charge. Likely your US bank also shaves something off the exchange rate in addition to the US$5 charge. There may also be a limit to the amount that you can withdraw from a UK ATM, regardless of your card's limit; £500 I think.

Time to you to get some better plastic; https://transferwise.com/gb/borderless/#borderless-explainer-video

9 hours ago, Batty said:

Yes the US bank charges $5 PLUS whatever the UK bank ATM charges, if anything. 

In the UK you can use cards for just about everything. So you should hardly need any cash at all.

If your bank charges some sort of exchange fee then you will lose out on that, but you wont be paying the USD5 ATM fee at least. Many people with US cards dont seem to be charged any exchange fee by their bank at all, and all my UK cards dont charge such exchange fees either.

8 hours ago, JamJar said:

UK bank ATMs don't charge. Likely your US bank also shaves something off the exchange rate in addition to the US$5 charge. There may also be a limit to the amount that you can withdraw from a UK ATM, regardless of your card's limit; £500 I think.

Time to you to get some better plastic; https://transferwise.com/gb/borderless/#borderless-explainer-video

The Revolut card is a similar sort of thing.

10 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

would a thai card work in uk. UK pin number are four but Thailand 6 mumbers

there are no country specific PIN numbers, only card specific ones. Thai debit cards work worldwide but you have to inform your bank in advance.

Or tell the ones your visiting to take care of you....  

Realtives come visit us free room and board all you can drink and 3,000 baht for the trip home.

True and the last bit puts me close or over the edge,,.. I say it but it’s never heard .. wifey ...tell them not to come next time. 

4 hours ago, Naam said:

there are no country specific PIN numbers, only card specific ones. Thai debit cards work worldwide but you have to inform your bank in advance.

My thai bank card has a 6 pin number. UK ATMs only present a 4 number field.

Thai banks give better exchange rates than Australian, UK and US banks.

Change some cash to GBP at Thai airport and use Thai debit card in UK ATMs. Leftover GBP should be changed back to THB in Thailand, not the UK. Don't bring back UK coins.

4 hours ago, Advocate said:

Thai banks give better exchange rates than Australian, UK and US banks.

Change some cash to GBP at Thai airport and use Thai debit card in UK ATMs. Leftover GBP should be changed back to THB in Thailand, not the UK. Don't bring back UK coins.

Thai debit cards have 6 numbers but UK ATMs only offer a 4 digit field.