Foreigners beware! Big Oud's "smart van" is coming for you!

webfact

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, faraday said:

"It was ingeniously placed on a tray table for added comfort and efficiency"

Whoa....this is real hi-tech - a tray table!!!

Apparently, they have one of these technical miracles for use at home!!

Gotta go & have a lie down now....

IMG_20190724_153602.png

Did it have a drinks holder for tea?

Why do the Many Ex-Pats that comment on Articles like this Respond with So Much Drivel if they Cannot Comment with a Sensible Answer , to What Would Help ? they should Abstain from Comments ????

As for the Smart Van it must also be Equipped with Wi-Fi ?

Perhaps using a warped sense of humour:)????

Being funny about another imposition on those who obey the riles and contribute?

I would imagine even the most basic Smart Phone carried by most policemen here could do what the "Smart Van's" equipment does ?

Surely every policeman should have immediate access to the required data files.

Should be good when they get the next bright idea of doing this in bars, restaurants, and anywhere else. The basic unaware tourists who have no idea of these crackdowns will be going home with a great memory of Thailand.

Imagine what law enforcement agencies the world over could achieve if they had access to such high tech 'smart vans'

The next wave will be one stop smart vans.  They will also have a device that is able to reproduce on paper what you can see on the computer or what is commonly referred to as a printer.

2 hours ago, digger70 said:

What's so Smart about that? The cops in Western countries Like Australia they having be using Laptops and gadget for more than 25 years .They drive on the Highway or other roads and put in you're Rego number and up comes Whatever you have done (or not)and if you got any Warrants /Tickets /fines /crimes/done drugs/or seen with the wrong people. If you check out ok they may not stop you.

They don't even need to touch it now.  The computer scans number plates of vehicles automatically, then checks for issues you mention and alerts the officer should any action be required.

It's basically a MDC (Mobile Data Computer) which accesses databases in real time for information verification.  It's the same as what is common in just about every police patrol vehicle in the United States.  Officers can check on a person's driver license status, run a person's data for warrants, enter serial numbers to see if the item has been reported stolen and a host of other uses.

It's most likely newly available technology here in Thailand, but not elsewhere.

As many of you guys joke about this, its a serious matter.

This happened to me as I walked out of my condo and was headed to 7-11. A van pulled up to me (on the main road) and three people hopped out while the van was still moving with the doors open - and they rushed me!

I freaked out as the three men said absolutely nothing to me and just ran towards me. My instincts kicked in and I punched the guy who was closest to me and I RAN. 

They started screaming, "No no no, POLICE. WE POLICE!" which definitely didn't make me feel any better because I just punched a cop. They chased me and I got caught in foot traffic and two of the cops were telling me to calm down and come back to the van (which was now parked on the side of the road). They said, "YOU AFRICA, YOU OVERSTAY!"

I'm an African American and have been working with a work permit and correct visa in Thailand for over 12 years. I was being profiled yet again. They asked to see my passport which I didn't have because I was just walking to 7-11, but I have my passport number memorised. I gave them my number and they plugged in my details into their laptop and boom, all of my information came up. They saw that I was here legally, said sorry and went back into the van.

I've always been profiled due to being Black - but if THIS is the way immigration is going to handle overstays, by jumping out of moving vans and harassing every person of color they see - I see no reason why to stay here anymore. 

On 7/24/2019 at 3:32 PM, stubuzz said:

7 people to catch one illegal teacher. I think the school director should also be arrested for employing and illegal alien.

Of course he should, as should all the others who knowingly employ illegal workers, only one thing, are the people who are operating this "smart van with the laptop" going to refuse to accept the palm greasing which is sure to come their way from the employers who hire these illegals?

This is a misleading & stupid heading.

It is emphasizing the "us & them" attitude which is rife on Thai Visa anyway.

We are required to fulfill a few actions each year to allow us to stay in this country which many of us have made home. Get on with it & do it by yourself or if want to make the pain go away use an agent who will complete your obligations in half a day.

To those of you that are too miserable to pay an agent then put up with the inconvenience.

If the moral issue of "commission" bothers you, then you are in the wrong country.

The country is corrupt,,,, get used to it

On 7/24/2019 at 4:04 PM, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Aside from the van+laptop=smart van ridiculousness, what - are they going to now randomly check foreigners? That'll be great for tourism....

No, it's  only for people like you, overstates and so on..real tourists are ok

On 7/24/2019 at 12:41 PM, Mango Bob said:

They are painting a picture that all foreigners in Thailand are evil.  Not once have a seen an article from them on the good side. 

Really ? You need to read more articles. 

On 7/24/2019 at 10:32 AM, stubuzz said:

7 people to catch one illegal teacher. I think the school director should also be arrested for employing and illegal alien.

Well i think you forget that there are more involved then only a director to employ an (illagal) alian and pay his wage, schedule classes, provide housing, sell food and drinks.

You totally not need to be a genious person with smart gadgets to start to look in the supporting underlaying system to make it possible for one illegal alian to stay in Thailand under the scope. 

"A picture showed that this appeared to be what is commonly known as a computer, technical term "laptop"."

"It was ingeniously placed on a tray table for added comfort and efficiency."

All they need now is an Abacus to tally up the fines..

4 hours ago, LowcountryJames said:

As many of you guys joke about this, its a serious matter.

This happened to me as I walked out of my condo and was headed to 7-11. A van pulled up to me (on the main road) and three people hopped out while the van was still moving with the doors open - and they rushed me!

I freaked out as the three men said absolutely nothing to me and just ran towards me. My instincts kicked in and I punched the guy who was closest to me and I RAN. 

They started screaming, "No no no, POLICE. WE POLICE!" which definitely didn't make me feel any better because I just punched a cop. They chased me and I got caught in foot traffic and two of the cops were telling me to calm down and come back to the van (which was now parked on the side of the road). They said, "YOU AFRICA, YOU OVERSTAY!"

I'm an African American and have been working with a work permit and correct visa in Thailand for over 12 years. I was being profiled yet again. They asked to see my passport which I didn't have because I was just walking to 7-11, but I have my passport number memorised. I gave them my number and they plugged in my details into their laptop and boom, all of my information came up. They saw that I was here legally, said sorry and went back into the van.

I've always been profiled due to being Black - but if THIS is the way immigration is going to handle overstays, by jumping out of moving vans and harassing every person of color they see - I see no reason why to stay here anymore. 

Ive seen a blue highway police (or tourist police?) car pull over and shakedown a chap who looked like he could be from Myanmar, at the side of the road. The police were pretty rough and ready, checked his back pack and documents right on the roadside..

..then let him go and off they went.

I avoided them but Im sure If they saw me I would have been asked the same to produce documents.

Archived