Food For Thought

catcrumpet

An acquaintance of mine once told me "You could live here for 100 years, but everyday you'll see something that surprises you". Having been visiting now for almost a tenth of that time I am still occasionally surprised.

The same man told me that all farang males in Thailand have a sexual encounter with a ladyboy at some point. Well, I'm not surprised anymore!

Does there ever come a point at which you find yourself numb to this place? I can't even remember what it's like to date a white girl.

How can so many people in Thailand fall in love so deeply, so fast and so frequently? Furthermore, what is it about this love that drives Thai people to become so utterly and helplessly obsessed with their victims?

It's come full circle now, as here I am hooked on the omnipotent entity that is the Thai Girl. There's just something about her, and no doubt she's the reason why there are so many of us hapless farang males out here. I don't remember falling in love every day in the UK, neither do I remember seeing so many girls with such sexual authority (or is this just a figment of my imagination?)

It sounds terrible, but I honestly don't think I will be able to look at farang girls in ths same way. Perhaps it's the relative novelty of the Thai Girl, or maybe it's just the way life out here for a farang male. I know that if I was walking around the streets of my home town, I wouldn't be able to smile sweetly at every pretty girl I see; I'd be labeled a pervert. I couldn't gaze into the eyes of the girls at 7-eleven to force them to make eye contact and burst into fits of uncontrollable hysterics, I wouldn't be able to walk around with the vague confidence that comes with being different because I would be just another guy.

That's the appeal of a place like Thailand: It's easy to fall under the illusion that you are somebody, when in reality you are not. but it goes beyond this. Can you ever get so used to being here that there is no such thing as going back 'home'?

Edited by catcrumpet

An acquaintance of mine once told me "You could live here for 100 years, but everyday you'll see something that surprises you". Having been visiting now for almost a tenth of that time I am still occasionally surprised.

The same man told me that all farang males in Thailand have a sexual encounter with a ladyboy at some point. Well, I'm not surprised anymore!

Does there ever come a point at which you find yourself numb to this place? I can't even remember what it's like to date a white girl.

How can so many people in Thailand fall in love so deeply, so fast and so frequently? Furthermore, what is it about this love that drives Thai people to become so utterly and helplessly obsessed with their victims?

It's come full circle now, as here I am hooked on the omnipotent entity that is the Thai Girl. There's just something about her, and no doubt she's the reason why there are so many of us hapless farang males out here. I don't remember falling in love every day in the UK, neither do I remember seeing so many girls with such sexual authority (or is this just a figment of my imagination?)

It sounds terrible, but I honestly don't think I will be able to look at farang girls in ths same way. Perhaps it's the relative novelty of the Thai Girl, or maybe it's just the way life out here for a farang male. I know that if I was walking around the streets of my home town, I wouldn't be able to smile sweetly at every pretty girl I see; I'd be labeled a pervert. I couldn't gaze into the eyes of the girls at 7-eleven to force them to make eye contact and burst into fits of uncontrollable hysterics, I wouldn't be able to walk around with the vague confidence that comes with being different because I would be just another guy.

That's the appeal of a place like Thailand: It's easy to fall under the illusion that you are somebody, when in reality you are not. but it goes beyond this. Can you ever get so used to being here that there is no such thing as going back 'home'?

out here, you can be hansum man, jai dee or any other crap you care to believe.

but you have hit the nail on the head, you are just a plane ride away from being nothing.

• 2 weeks later...