Chinese Military Denies It Has Deal to Build Base in Cambodia

geovalin

The Chinese military denied reports that it recently signed a secret deal to build a military outpost in coastal Cambodia.

Speaking during the release of the country’s first defense white paper since 2015, Defense Ministry spokesman Senior Colonel Wu Qian said reports China had sought to build a military base in Cambodia were “not true.”

He also told reporters in Beijing that “the Chinese and Cambodian armed forces have always carried out good exchanges and cooperation in military and personnel training, and logistics equipment.” News of the secret deal emerged over the weekend in a report in the Wall Street Journal that cited unnamed U.S. officials.

read more https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-24/chinese-military-denies-it-has-deal-to-build-base-in-cambodia

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

China is playing a brilliant, long term strategic game all over the world. Indebted Nations are becoming increasingly beholden to them, including the US, where China holds them by the goolies in terms of their National debt. Thailand and the neighbouring countries  are building up massive amounts of debt with China and it will all come home to bite them at some point. They are also being allowed to buy up land, properties, and companies in Asia and nobody seems to care about the longer term impacts.  It's said that most counties plans are in 5 or 10 year increments, but China's plans are for many decades of years.  None of us here will live to see the inevitable longer term outcome, but you can bet that if you believe in freedom and democracy, then It will not be pretty.     

I don't like what you write, but I do agree with you. China plans longer ahead than any country, so they probably will 'win' in the near future (50-100 yrs)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JulesMad said:

I don't like what you write, but I do agree with you. China plans longer ahead than any country, so they probably will 'win' in the near future (50-100 yrs)

I don't like it either. 

2 hours ago, JulesMad said:

Assuming they can control their population well enough, and all of the developed countries in the world.  It's not a done deal yet

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pilotman said:

China is playing a brilliant, long term strategic game all over the world. Indebted Nations are becoming increasingly beholden to them, including the US, where China holds them by the goolies in terms of their National debt. Thailand and the neighbouring countries  are building up massive amounts of debt with China and it will all come home to bite them at some point. They are also being allowed to buy up land, properties, and companies in Asia and nobody seems to care about the longer term impacts.  It's said that most counties plans are in 5 or 10 year increments, but China's plans are for many decades of years.  None of us here will live to see the inevitable longer term outcome, but you can bet that if you believe in freedom and democracy, then It will not be pretty.     

My crystal ball is in the shop for repair, so any comment by me is speculative. China, in my opinion is positioned for change, perhaps internal, but change none-the-less. Population, environment and political upheaval are all possible catalysts that may hasten its evolvement into something much different from what we see today. How is that for typical TVF jibberish? Have a nice day sipping Chinese imported tea, sitting on a Chinese manufactured chair and tapping away on a Chinese made smart device.

1 hour ago, Benmart said:

My crystal ball is in the shop for repair, so any comment by me is speculative. China, in my opinion is positioned for change, perhaps internal, but change none-the-less. Population, environment and political upheaval are all possible catalysts that may hasten its evolvement into something much different from what we see today. How is that for typical TVF jibberish? Have a nice day sipping Chinese imported tea, sitting on a Chinese manufactured chair and tapping away on a Chinese made smart device.

TV is meant for jibberish,  opinion, bias, speculation, argument (within reason of course), moaning, whinging;  that's what makes it fun, sometimes. 

You may well be right, but I wonder at the reaction/impact of 2 Billion people, many of them pheasants and uneducated, taking the fight to the Chinese system of government.  It is argued that the communist, centrally based system was instrumental in saving the people from imminent starvation and enduring poverty after the Cultural Revolution.  That could happen again if the system is over thrown.  I don't like it, but maybe it is the best form of government for such a large and diverse country of near to 2 billion.

My crystal ball is also in the shop for repair.