Thai Gold

duratanium

It's usually 23 or 24.

Lesser purities are available but not populer with Thais who for the most part regard gold as an investment not for decoration.

Pure gold 24 Carat is too soft for most jewelery use hence in the west harder less pure golds are more common.

It's usually 23 or 24.

Lesser purities are available but not populer with Thais who for the most part regard gold as an investment not for decoration.

Pure gold 24 Carat is too soft for most jewelery use hence in the west harder less pure golds are more common.

Agree with the above.

Been told it was 99%.

But have to say "thai gold" is in interesting adventure book written by an expat in Thailand.

BTW is one Baht 1/2 ounce or 1/4 ounce????

Cheers,

Soundman.

Thanks for the replies.

Now I understand why gold rings are so expensive in Thailand. Nothing like our 'cheapskate' 9 Carat gold in the U.K.

Looking on the web it is not easy to get above 18 Carat in the U.K. now. Maybe that is down to the divorce rate and people not wanting to 'invest' too much in a ring they may never see again after the divorce :D

I can just see a Thai looking at a ring / gold chain with a magnifying glass and reeling in shock at seeing a 9 carat stamp :o

Edited by duratanium

It's usually 23 or 24.

Agree with the above.

Been told it was 99%.

But have to say "thai gold" is in interesting adventure book written by an expat in Thailand.

BTW is one Baht 1/2 ounce or 1/4 ounce????

Cheers,

i believe 1 baht gold is just over 15 grammes, cannt remember the exact weight

Soundman.

Hey

24 carat gold jewellery is an 'urban myth'.

Due to the impurities left behind by refining and processing gold, it can only be 99.9% pure in its post-refined metal state.

Hence when you buy a 1oz Kruggerand, it weights slightly over 1oz and therefore contains 1oz of Pure ( 24 carat ) gold.

If you want to be totally sure, buy a small acid test kit, invaluable in confirming the purity of gold.

You could always send an item to any of the UK Assay Offices and ask them for an Analysis Report and they will tell you specifically the carat/purity of the item.

Believe it or not, there is more sub standard Sterling Silver jewellery than gold jewellery around.

The price of jewellery in the UK is in general high, not due to the cost of gold, but manufacturer/wholesaler/retail combined mark-ups and of course the VAT.

If purchasing an item that is comprised of Gold only, you should buy it as a price per gram item. This way, you will know exactly what the cost to you is, as opposed to a price per piece.

Kind regards

Peter

May I be a stikler here ... there is no such thing as 24, 23, 22, 9, or any other carat gold. It is Karat gold. hence 24K, 18K, 14K <--- notice the K? Karat denotes a quantity or relative purity of the gold (24 Karat gold is pure gold with no alloy - 100% gold) whereas Carat is a weight used in weighing stones (eg 1 Carat diamond). The Carat is equal to 1/5th gram.

Further, 1 Baht weight of gold is equal to 15.2 grams. One ounce is equal to 31.1 grams - hence a Baht is equal to just less than half an ounce.

And thats all I have to say about that ... at least for now :o

Cheers!

May I be a stikler here ... there is no such thing as 24, 23, 22, 9, or any other carat gold. It is Karat gold. hence 24K, 18K, 14K <--- notice the K? Karat denotes a quantity or relative purity of the gold (24 Karat gold is pure gold with no alloy - 100% gold) whereas Carat is a weight used in weighing stones (eg 1 Carat diamond). The Carat is equal to 1/5th gram.

Further, 1 Baht weight of gold is equal to 15.2 grams. One ounce is equal to 31.1 grams - hence a Baht is equal to just less than half an ounce.

Cheers!

Hey

May I be a stickler ? A little knowledge is dangerous, especially when the application is so reckless.

Have a look here and maybe you will concede that the word carat as applied to gold is a method of purity The Assay Office

Furthermore, a standard ounce is approx. 28.35 grams. Whereby a Troy Ounce used primarily by the jewellery industry is approx. 31.1 grams. A Troy Pound also only contains 12 Troy Ounces.

Kind regards

Peter

Edited by peterjackson

Cheers!

Hey

May I be a stickler ? A little knowledge is dangerous, especially when the application is so reckless.

Have a look here and maybe you will concede that the word carat as applied to gold is a method of purity The Assay Office

Furthermore, a standard ounce is approx. 28.35 grams. Whereby a Troy Ounce used primarily by the jewellery industry is approx. 31.1 grams. A Troy Pound also only contains 14 Troy Ounces.

Kind regards

Peter

Hardly reckless. are we not talking about gold? Is not gold used in jewelry? Did I not say 31.1 grams? Why confuse the issue... ? Does anyone use a standard ounce when weighing gold?

I will give you the Carat vs Karat issue - however it is more customary to use Karat for gold and Carat for stones - to avoid confusion - but to each their own.

"(24 Karat gold is pure gold with no alloy - 100% gold) "

i most humbly beg to differ Honourable Sir, Esq.;

producing 100% pure gold is something next to impossible. the "finest" gold available is 99.99%. by the way, i lived for several years in a country where the authorities would have cut off one hand of a jeweler if he had dared to sell 18k as "gold".

post-35218-1174059626_thumb.jpg

producing 100% pure gold is something next to impossible. the "finest" gold available is 99.99%. by the way, i lived for several years in a country where the authorities would have cut off one hand of a jeweler if he had dared to sell 18k as "gold".

So Thailand must be a pretty liberal regime as they do not even fine those who take 22k or 23k (it varies a bit) gold, AKA baat gold, plate it around a different base metal, and then sell it as gold jewelery. No problem with the stuff as long as you buy or sell it in-country, but selling it to an Asian gold shop elsewhere can leave one a bit miffed.

I humbly beg your forgiveness dear Lord God Alnighty for being .01% off the mark. How could I have been so far wrong.

May I ask Dear Lord - is the .01% alloy or what other substance? :o

I humbly beg your forgiveness dear Lord God Alnighty for being .01% off the mark. How could I have been so far wrong.

May I ask Dear Lord - is the .01% alloy or what other substance? :D

not really an alloy but a mixture of several dozen impurities out of which silver dominates. why the experts rank silver as an impurity only the Gods know.

and of course... consider your sin (being off the mark) as forgiven my son!

:o