Here's the numbers of expats in Thailand

There are many not counted such as myself.

My wife and I (both Americans) moved to Thailand in November 2017.  She is on her 2nd ED Visa.  I work outside of Thailand on a Rotation Schedule... when I return after each Rotation, I am coming into Thailand on Visa Exempt.

I know many others that also come in on same. For example,  one guy I worked opposite lives in Pattaya for years and has always came back on VE.

People such as this are very hard to count as they are basically in the system as nothing more than a holiday tourist.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Chicksaw said:

Thai economy = 16.316 trillion baht

(= 2018 GDP from Wikipedia)

58,375,200,000 / 16,316,000,000,000 = 0.00358

which works out to expats collectively being worth about 3/1000 of 1% of the Thai economy.

Of course, Felt 35 is counting only Imm deposit money. We contribute in other ways too. Still even multiplying by 10 we're 3/100th of 1%.

so really we count for <deleted>

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronym removed.

which works out to expats collectively being worth about 3/1000 of 1% of the Thai economy.

Of course, Felt 35 is counting only Imm deposit money. We contribute in other ways too. Still even multiplying by 10 we're 3/100th of 1%.
Assuming all retired expats had the 800.000B in a Thai bank account this would mean a 0.358% of Thai GDP for 2018.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mai Mee Tang said:
39 minutes ago, Chicksaw said:

Assuming all retired expats had the 800.000B in a Thai bank account this would mean a 0.358% of Thai GDP for 2018.

I think you can assume less than half of that and the reason for all the expat aggro against thais over the last 6 months..They just dont have it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Maybe that was before everyone left?

It has never been 1 million foreigners working and living in Thailand, except during the Vietnam war.

It has been around 250-300k at the most.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

f Figures on visas issued in 2017 were shared by the Thai Immigration Bureau upon request by
the International Organization for Migration (IOM).

stay.JPG

Interesting to see the reported ratio between retirement "visas" vs. marriage "visas", which presumably is the "stay with Thai spouse" category....  I would have thought, the marriage group would have been a larger relative contingent, not just over 22% of the retired contingent.

2 hours ago, MalandLee said:

Temporary Stay
Stay with Thais 37,822 stay
Stay with a resident family 23,640 stay
Stay with Thai Spouse 16,276 stay
Retirement 72,969 stay
Special – Investment 45,882 stay and work
Special – Industrial Estates 2,331 stay and work
Special – Petroleum 1,190 stay and work

Total(s) 150,707 stay 49,403 stay and work 200,110 All

The devil's always in the details...

The report says the data was provided by Thai Immigration, and no further elaboration I saw...

So that would kind of seem to raise the question -- do those numbers only include the permissions/"visas' granted by Immigration, or do they also include all the comparable categories of actual visas issued by the Thai MFA through all the consulates and Embassies abroad?

15 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Interesting to see the reported ratio between retirement "visas" vs. marriage "visas", which presumably is the "stay with Thai spouse" category....  I would have thought, the marriage group would have been a larger relative contingent, not just over 22% of the retired contingent.

post divorce numbers...

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Op this is a great find and completely changes the paradigm of the importance of retired expats.     

I think TV should make a story out of this report.    

actually this report is very damning in many ways. 

word count:

trafficking 239

sex 321

corruption 11

exploitation 126

unregulated 24

Is it the maids day off?

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

certainly highlights the nonsense "if all expats leave, the country will go broke " a mere drop  in the ocean.

You see expats in touristic places, but outside … last week I did my 90 days; I was the only farang and stayed more than 2 hours ; before me, 30-40 migrants from neighbouring  countries, several  with the passports of their colleagues ; a woman came with 48 passports ; so , yes, money comes from people from countries around Thailand and 73000 retirees are not much ; the woman in the IO made me feel that she cares the immigrants much more than I , farang 

54 minutes ago, Mai Mee Tang said:

In the report it is estimated almost 5 million non-Thai population residing and working in Thailand.20190726_140404.jpeg

Oh dear4, I can also read. I was relating to the post in this thread that referred to expats. I thought you understood that when reading. Means that migrant workers from nearby countries id not included in their belief. However, now I explained it.