B of A account - how to transfer funds to TH while in TH?

Asking for a friend, cannot call the hotline due to wifi issues (Google Hangouts works well for me)

A semi-domestic wire to Bangkok Bank's NYC branch, to be forwarded to Bangkok Bank in Thailand?

Can she do internation wire payments online?

Can she request a cashier's check and get that mailed to Thailand?

Hope someone knows Bank of America and has answers.

Ta!

Using BoA, your friend can remit monies using ACH (Automated Clearing House) transfer from her account to her Bangkok Bank (BB) account. The monies need to be directed to the NYC branch of BB.

This of course requires an initial set up. Trial deposits will be made by BofA to the BB account; it is then up to the account owner to verify these deposit amounts (typically less than $0.75 each) before the accounts are "linked". Then money flow, for a fee, can be performed. Normally this is done while the BofA account holder is in the US. Not sure if it is possible to do this while in Thailand.

Your friend can also opt to use a BofA debit card at a BB branch in Thailand. Or perhaps get a cash advance using a credit card. These should be done at the counter, and not at the ATM.

P.S. If your friend has not notified BofA that their account will need to be accessed while in Thailand, then then BofA may reject any money transfer requests because it may be flagged as a fraudulent transaction.

Edited by Gumballl
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2019 at 7:56 AM, jackdd said:

The cheapest option is probably Transferwise

Another option would be a SWIFT transfer

It's not the $ 50 or whatever fee, it's the ability to do this online while being in Thailand.

Me, I have HSBC UK letting me send SWIFT wires over the phone for 5 pounds extra or online.

TransferWise - I'll pass that on. ** She has a regular Bangkok Bank account. ACH is great once it's set up. But an ACH turning into an overseas wire seems stretching it. But perhaps one will have to send a FED wire to Bangkok Bank's NYC branch?

33 minutes ago, BurgerGung said:

It's not the $ 50 or whatever fee, it's the ability to do this online while being in Thailand.

Me, I have HSBC UK letting me send SWIFT wires over the phone for 5 pounds extra or online.

TransferWise - I'll pass that on. ** She has a regular Bangkok Bank account. ACH is great once it's set up. But an ACH turning into an overseas wire seems stretching it. But perhaps one will have to send a FED wire to Bangkok Bank's NYC branch?

BofA charges a fee, depending on the time one wants to wait for the ACH transfer to the NYC-BB branch to take place; $3 for 3-day service, $10 for next day service, and $25 for immediate service. Then the NYC-BB branch sends the money to Thailand (almost immediately) -- and also take a cut, depending on the amount of the transfer.

I recommend that your friend call BofA to inquire what can be set up while overseas; or have a family member or trusted friend that is state-side to do it.