Expat group launches online petition calling for TM.30 to be scrapped

Jonathan Fairfield

56 minutes ago, wendyfromoz said:

aren't people concerned that they may be rounded up and deported if they sign this petition.  My concern is the military may see it as a threat to National Security and throw me out.

Quite possible, unfortunately. When my retirement visa extensions were issued, I regarded myself as a guest in Thailand and as such expected to abide by Thailand's laws, customs and culture. Putting my signature to a petition against current Thai Immigration laws could place me in jeopardy! 

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

This video says it all..

You know they're actors. Since when do you ever see a young slim attractive female police (or immigration) officer who actually SMILES in Thailand ? 

For that matter, when have we seen any old fat female police or immigration Smile either?

Don't listen to the paranoid end-of-the-world-theorists. No one will come after you for signing this form which your not really signing anyway and no way to prove you signed. So go ahead and support this cause.    

16 hours ago, wisperone said:

If you don't like it, leave.

Not this again... It's not about not liking it... It's about not making it so hard for those non nationals living here and contributing to the country and in some cases helping where help is completely non existent here! 

This "Leave" and "go home" crap is exactly that... Crap ????????

5 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Quite possible, unfortunately. When my retirement visa extensions were issued, I regarded myself as a guest in Thailand and as such expected to abide by Thailand's laws, customs and culture. Putting my signature to a petition against current Thai Immigration laws could place me in jeopardy! 

I think you really need to ask yourself if you want to live in a country that will deport you for signing such a harmless petition.

That in itself might not be significant, but what does it mean about having a minimum of dignity and personal freedoms, after all?

I don't believe Thailand is that country. But if it turned out to be that country, better end up getting deported than living like this!

1 minute ago, RBOP said:

Don't listen to the paranoid end-of-the-world-theorists. No one will come after you for signing this form which your not really signing anyway and no way to prove you signed. So go ahead and support this cause.    

That some people feel the need to look under their beds beggars belief!

As you say, paranoia. 

2 hours ago, JWRC said:

I respect the right of individuals to conduct their own affairs. However I do object when other people say they are speaking for me.

In the letter that is to be sent to the authorities it says "plea on behalf of every foreign resident or traveller in Thailand

it should read along the llne's of "plea on behalf on all signatories to this petition.

This is the second time in a week that a similar thing has happened, the last one was an Aussie saying he was speaking for all Aussies.

In either case,  I can speak for myself, and this assumption that others can say they speak on my behalf is an outright lie

We will modify. I agree with you, it's on all signatories.

Just few questions about the TM-30 I'd like answers to.

Do I need to register everyone staying at the property? Thai wife, Thai son? 

Do I need to register if I am living in my own home? 

Do I need to re-register if I have been out of the country for a couple of days? 

Do I need to register if I have been on holiday, visited the in-laws or stayed at another hotel/guest house? 

Do I need the little blue book, a Thai ID card, proof of property ownership, etc to register the address?

Any answers will be well appreciated. Thank you!

5 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Come on Burma Bill. Its seems your on the edge. I really encourage you to sign. You don't have to use your real name. Go for it.  

9 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

unless IO makes me do the Lao visa thing(quite rare).

Can you explain this. Are you saying you don't need to go to Laos, but are able to just re-enter Thailand without entering another country? Some have said that is frowned upon. I'd love to do that at Mukdahan.

2 minutes ago, Isaanlawyers said:

We will modify. I agree with you, it's on all signatories.

oh and please also modify the sentence "National and Thai people living In Thailand with a spouse or partner Wit with Thai children"  because I don't fit into any of those categories. National and Thai is the same thing right? 'Wit' should be "with" etc etc. 

15 minutes ago, Isaanlawyers said:

And the quote you used started by nothing is perfect. We used a server abroad, did that quickly. Even the website of our company doesn't use HTTPS. I am not a programmer, used one, but I am tired to answer question about the quality of English, no HTTPS, that we are guests in Thailand, etc.

I thought this was a good initiative and more than a thousand people think like me. Some trolls don't and I will never convince them. I haven't been on Thaivisa for a long time and it does not give me the taste to come back....It's like everybody knows everything here.

Thank you for your initiative which certainly has stimulated much interest and many comments. Personally, I am not someone who thinks he knows everything - perhaps I should when it comes to Immigration Law - I only know what is relevant to me for living in retirement in Thailand at the moment. 

40 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Can you explain this. Are you saying you don't need to go to Laos, but are able to just re-enter Thailand without entering another country? Some have said that is frowned upon. I'd love to do that at Mukdahan.

It seems that it is up to the IO wether I can do this or not.It seems to work better if there is a Lao Visa stamp somewhere near where they stamp to re-enter.I've done it many times at Mukdahan but when they say go to Lao it's on the bus and takes hours,so now I go to Chong Mek(quieter more relax officials and Indo markets for cheap shopping),it's a longer drive but just a short walk to Lao if needed and cheaper Bt 1,300 for Lao visa.I seem to get about 6 goes before having to get a new Lao visa so that's 6 full pages saved in my passport each time.If they say go to Lao just say sorry and go don't try and press it.

I've tried looking but have failed to find where it states that one must enter another country before returning,it only states that one must leave Thailand.

3 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Just meant to be a little light humor before I'm nailed to a cross.

ThaiPopo.png

Great - no need for TM30s and all the associated paperwork. Immigration will instantly know where we are - even sitting on the loo indoors!! 

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Thank you - but no signature. I renewed my visa extension only 3 months ago and no TM30 was mentioned. As always, I presented a letter (in English - not Thai) from my landlady stating I am a tenant in one of her bungalows on an rural Isaan estate, also giving my name, dob and passport number. Attached to this letter was a copy of the bungalow book and a copy of the landlady's ID.  All were accepted by Immigration. By the way, the landlady issued the letter almost 5 years ago and all I do is produce a copy of it.

You don't seem to be grasping what I'm saying. What you're describing has been the case for pretty much everyone up until now. No one has cared about the TM30 up until a few months ago – the 5 or 6 landlords I've had during my time here have never filed one. The fact that some immigration offices are still very lenient about it doesn't mean they will not change their stance in the future, especially if the higher-ups get in touch with them.

I couldn't care less if you sign or not, I'm just trying to get the above point across. Plenty of people who have never heard the term "TM30" before have been turned away during the last couple of months when they tried to do their extensions. Some are in a real pickle since their landlords refuse to give them copies of ID cards and tabian baans.

Again, I couldn't care less about you signing or not, it's about getting a point across.

Compliance with the newly enforced TM30 requirements can easily be accomplished in a few minutes for each trip by downloading the TM30 app, receiving a login and password and submitting it on-line. The same applies for the 90 day reporting. Both can be accomplished in a few minutes without going anywhere near an Immigration office. So what is the big deal, apart from a few bar stool jockeys losing some precious drinking time? If their bars have wifi they can even do it without disturbing their routine!

worked ok for me 

maybe look at other rules too

I know few people leaving as rules getting harder to stay 

and don't upset anyone I have a friend who was reported to immigration simply because a Thai lady did not like her

like she said I'm Thai they will listen to me  

7 minutes ago, condobrit001 said:

Compliance with the newly enforced TM30 requirements can easily be accomplished in a few minutes for each trip by downloading the TM30 app, receiving a login and password and submitting it on-line.

That would be true is they were sending an access password to anyone who asked...

but sadly many people who are still waiting this password after several months !

Just now, Pattaya46 said:

That would be true is they were sending an access password to anyone who asked...

but sadly many people who are still waiting this password after several months !

Even so, you will get a password far sooner than a reaction from immigration with regard to this TM30 petition.

5 minutes ago, condobrit001 said:

Compliance with the newly enforced TM30 requirements can easily be accomplished in a few minutes for each trip by downloading the TM30 app, receiving a login and password and submitting it on-line. The same applies for the 90 day reporting. Both can be accomplished in a few minutes without going anywhere near an Immigration office. So what is the big deal, apart from a few bar stool jockeys losing some precious drinking time? If their bars have wifi they can even do it without disturbing their routine!

i agree with you ..its possible and "can" be done....but it shouldn't.

look the orvelian aspect of it is simply disturbing. and the excuse that other countries are also getting more stringent with enforcement or thats the law and we cant do anything..... nor any other excuse in that manner should even remotely let one think that this is the end of the controlling of citizens agenda ( and foreigners ) 

as sooner one tries to do something as greater are the chances to at least decelerate the processes 

fingerprints, forms, reporting and more? 

would you say the same when they may ask you to get a chip under your skin? 

just a thought

Archived