Expat group launches online petition calling for TM.30 to be scrapped

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no problem with a TM28/30 and the 90 Day Reporting, it allows Border Control too monitor your movements, if you have nothing to hide it’s not a problem repotting possibly apart from the queues but I believe you can do it online.

When my G.F. enters the UK on a Tourist Visa it’s straight through Border Control. We leave from Newcastle a few weeks later, no Border Control checks, for all they know she could have overstayed month/years etc.

Its a well known fact in the UK anyone in general who overstays or works is detained then released and told too report to the local Police Station a week later, most abscond never too be seen again or appeal and it takes years to deport them once they get lawyers involved.

I would sign if this was causing a problem for me but it hasn't.  In 9 years living here I have traveled at least 30 times to Bangkok and made numerous trips to other parts of Thailand.  I have never filled out a TM30 on any of this travel and never had a problem with not doing it.  I'll file this under "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

As I have said before, expats have no rights here and in my opinion any petition by us will be viewed in that way. The recent changes in financial and insurance requirements are by far, more important and concerns were aired when they arose. It didn't and won't change the government's view. How many times are we told that expats are 'guests' and if we don't like it...

Section 37 = form TM28 not TM30
Foreigners who entered Thailand under section 34, this is probably everybody here, are exempt from this 24 hours reporting when going to another province under section 37.

The author should understand the laws before making a petition about them.

TM28/ or TM30 not relevant. BS

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Change the TM30 reporting to ONLY for returning from overseas, and NOT when travelling to another province. If a hotel has completed a TM30 report that you have stayed there, then it should be presumed that you have then returned to your registered address.. No need for another TM30. 

If returned from an overseas trip, then a 7 day window (5 business days) to file your TM30, and NOT 24 hours.. It isn't always convenient if you need to travel 100+ km to your IO, or you have work commitments and lose almost a day to do TM30 report, or your landlord needs to file TM30 within 24 hours, or be fined 800-1600 Bht. 7 days gives everyone more time to comply.. 

Make the online process more user friendly and EASIER to comply for TM30 reporting WITH 7 day reporting.. 

Have all Immigration offices, in ALL provinces under the same rule of law.. Not different interpretations depending on the IO or the office you use.. Make life easier and not more difficult to comply legally to your obligations.. 

2 minutes ago, owenm said:

Have all Immigration offices, in ALL provinces under the same rule of law.. Not different interpretations depending on the IO or the office you use.. Make life easier and not more difficult to comply legally to your obligations.. 

I would sign for a such petition 

8 minutes ago, wobalt said:

TM28/ or TM30 not relevant. BS

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

When Booking in to a hotel anywhere in the world they always ask for you Passport and take a photocopy which I assume is passed on to the local Police or Immigration.

Lets be honest why shouldn’t they keep track of you, have you some thing too hide ?

finally  people with balls.... when I suggested to pay a form of membership to form a group with Thai lawyer, it is laughed away, but you can see the attitude from most TV posters, shooting it down and prefer to moan on the forum instead of real action, even IMMIGRATION does not give a crap 

Quote:-

"Under Article 37, any foreigner residing in Thailand who visits another province for more than 24 hours must report to immigration"

I am rather confused (possibly "thick") about this. I have lived in the north of Thailand for nearly 20 years and I have NEVER had to report to Immigration when travelling around the country, only for my visa extension and multiple re-entry permit- not even 90 Day reports as I regularly travel outside Thailand as well (only TM6). I live in Isaan and regularly go on long weekend shopping/tourist trips from my rented home to Chiang Mai, Mai Sai, Chiang Rai, Nong Khai, Kanchanaburi and Aranyaphratet to name a few. I get in my car and drive to my destinations. All I do is present my passport to the reception desks at the hotels as required by law. During my travels,I often get stopped at police checkpoints and I have never been asked if I had completed a TM30 for Immigration. Sorry, this petition is not for me.

1 hour ago, CaptainJack said:

What in my opinion,  everyone needs to understand, is that that over the last seven months, the very viability and value of the western expatriate community has been diminished and attacked.  The reasons why and the details are irrelevant.   What matters is this is an existential threat to the future of western expatriates in Thailand.   

If left unchecked and allowed to continue,  the western expatriate community as well as tourism and business will fade away.  We have a few brave individuals who have stepped forward to herald this issue and ask for a resolution.   Let's get on board.  The details may not be exactly correct,  but the essence is real and undeniable.   

Stand together now, or be divided and eventually made to leave.

Melodramatic twaddle.

I respect the right of individuals to conduct their own affairs. However I do object when other people say they are speaking for me.

In the letter that is to be sent to the authorities it says "plea on behalf of every foreign resident or traveller in Thailand

it should read along the llne's of "plea on behalf on all signatories to this petition.

This is the second time in a week that a similar thing has happened, the last one was an Aussie saying he was speaking for all Aussies.

In either case,  I can speak for myself, and this assumption that others can say they speak on my behalf is an outright lie

1 minute ago, JWRC said:

I respect the right of individuals to conduct their own affairs. However I do object when other people say they are speaking for me.

In the letter that is to be sent to the authorities it says "plea on behalf of every foreign resident or traveller in Thailand

it should read along the llne's of "plea on behalf on all signatories to this petition.

This is the second time in a week that a similar thing has happened, the last one was an Aussie saying he was speaking for all Aussies.

In either case,  I can speak for myself, and this assumption that others can say they speak on my behalf is an outright lie

Ok, let me know when you doing your own petition and I will join you????

7 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

"Under Article 37, any foreigner residing in Thailand who visits another province for more than 24 hours must report to immigration"

I am rather confused (possibly "thick") about this. I have lived in the north of Thailand for nearly 20 years and I have NEVER had to report to Immigration when travelling around the country, only for my visa extension and multiple re-entry permit- not even 90 Day reports as I regularly travel outside Thailand as well (only TM6). I live in Isaan and regularly go on long weekend shopping/tourist trips from my rented home to Chiang Mai, Mai Sai, Chiang Rai, Nong Khai, Kanchanaburi and Aranyaphratet to name a few. I get in my car and drive to my destinations. All I do is present my passport to the reception desks at the hotels as required by law. During my travels,I often get stopped at police checkpoints and I have never been asked if I had completed a TM30 for Immigration. 

That’s because the hotels are responsible for the TM30 Reporting not you.

36 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

As I have said before, expats have no rights here and in my opinion any petition by us will be viewed in that way. The recent changes in financial and insurance requirements are by far, more important and concerns were aired when they arose. It didn't and won't change the government's view. How many times are we told that expats are 'guests' and if we don't like it...

Exactly!

Why rail against and start a petition on one rule that isn't particularly onerous.

Not letting us spend our own money is far worse. Much more worthy of a petition (if that's what you think will make a difference).

15 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

We strongly believe that the form  TM30 is outdated and causes far too many problems which would did not exist in the past.

It might be a good idea to proof-read the letter before sending it.

But why only tackle the TM30 problem? Why not question why foreigners married and with a Thai family have to leave the country every 90 days, or perhaps travel a long distance to an immigration office to ask for permission to stay with their family a few weeks longer - at a price of course - like a criminal on probation. What possible purpose does that serve?

And with single-entry only visas the norm in the region and increasingly being rolled out worldwide, those supporting a Thai family will be forced to leave the country and apply for a new visa every three months, or possibly do the long trip to what would then be a vastly overworked immigration office to seek an extension. Which is ludicrous.

I do not think the TM30 reporting should be cancelled but do agree that it should be changed! and possibli as follows! : -

1) A foreogner legally married to a "Thai Citizen" Male or Female and living and/or staying together in a condo, apartment or House and have been issued with a "none criminal" certificate from "The Royal Thai" police. (should be exempt to continue to have to report!) having to report within 24 hours upon entering Thailand through any of its borders, is a totaly unreasonable order from Immigration. I completely agree that completion of the "TM6" form should be sufficient and linked to Thai immergration departments pc servers. Having to report within 24 hours is an unreasonable request and believe it to be an infringement of any civil liberty a foreigner may or may not have entering Thailand. It's unfare and totally unreasonable to treat "ALL" foreigners as "Criminals"! from the outset!!! Also having a visa extension approved for one year you should NOT have to report every 90 days and again be treated as "common-criminals"! To that end if system's are in place they should be working all the time 24/7 i.e 90 day reporting online and TM30 online! I have only managed to report once online for 90 days and zero times fot TM30 online and I have been here on and off sine 2006 and have lived at the same address since 2008! Before Thai immigration "Barks" orders at foreigners they should make sire tey systems are actually working in country or from overseas!. I agree that "Agents" and/or "Law" companies shall be "Totally Stopped" for making any and all applications for all immergration requirements for and on behalf of all and any foreigners. All foreigners should do own reporting in person! I'm fully aware of the anomalies that exist with immigration and "Agents" and "Law-companies"!???????????? The End

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

But why only tackle the TM30 problem? Why not question why foreigners married and with a Thai family have to leave the country every 90 days, or perhaps travel a long distance to an immigration office to ask for permission to stay with their family a few weeks longer - at a price of course - like a criminal on probation. What possible purpose does that serve?

I am married to a Thai and dont do either of these things.  Are you unaware of a 1 year marriage extension.

It appears you choose not to take up a long-stay option. Thats your choice but there is a long stay option. 

3 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

You have no idea what attention I can bring to this issue.   Get ready.   Those of us who are not cowering,  we will stand up to oppression. I am just getting started......

Have you chosen a particular color of t-shirt (or singlet) to support your cause?

The red shirts and black shirts have already taken the sporty colors.

I sure hope this works.  Honestly though, I'd rather see a petition to Bank of Thailand to suspend their hot money bond sales--until the Baht returns to a 10-year average.

Note to Thai Baht apologists on TV: don't even try to sell me on Thai Baht vs gold prices.  Only comparison that matters to me:  Thai Baht appreciation to USD vs other SE Asian currencies.

27 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

I am rather confused (possibly "thick") about this. I have lived in the north of Thailand for nearly 20 years and I have NEVER had to report to Immigration when travelling around the country, only for my visa extension and multiple re-entry permit- not even 90 Day reports as I regularly travel outside Thailand as well (only TM6). I live in Isaan and regularly go on long weekend shopping/tourist trips from my rented home to Chiang Mai, Mai Sai, Chiang Rai, Nong Khai, Kanchanaburi and Aranyaphratet to name a few. I get in my car and drive to my destinations. All I do is present my passport to the reception desks at the hotels as required by law. During my travels,I often get stopped at police checkpoints and I have never been asked if I had completed a TM30 for Immigration. Sorry, this petition is not for me.

That's the case for pretty much everyone in the past, but things have changed. They're clamping down on the TM30 and people have been refused to apply for extensions because the house owner hasn't done the TM30. Some offices are more lenient, but there's no telling if they're gonna get orders to be more strict. The petition is absolutely for you, if you care about what happens tomorrow rather than just today.

It was never enforced in the past. You might find you need one now, when you go to Immigration for your annual Extension.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Archived