Expat group launches online petition calling for TM.30 to be scrapped

Jonathan Fairfield

I don't think it's going to make much difference. Remember that military dictators run 'security states' with the main objective being to control the people. They know nothing else. They have no imagination or vision to make new laws that make life easier. They just blindly insist on total enforcement of existing laws. In the military you have to follow rules. It makes the brains of these dictators crazy to think that civilians are not following every single law completely.

And besides terrorism, the TM30 is being used to monitor and control the Chinese invasion. In Cambodia and the Philippines its already too late... the Chinese have critical mass to take over whole provinces.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great job! I commend the move by the lawyer and his associates,  and even though I'm going to sign the petition, for me it's kind of too late, my visa expires in about a month, sold almost everything and I'm leaving for a few months then back in January and whatever's left that could not be sold - I'm trashing for cents on the dollar.

So unlike the lawyer behind the petition's insinuation that he does not need to do the TM30 (as he already has a PR) and is only trying to help others who have to, I think the people who stand to benefit the most from community actions like this are people like him - those who are rooted or stuck here. If foreigners are leaving in droves/stop coming in large numbers, then businesses of those rooted here are definitely suffering. Plus if you've decided to raise your kids here, then you're fighting for their future, the world that they'd live in tomorrow and I'd have no reason not to support something like that. I mean Pruyut is here for next five years or more and you best believe him and his boys are going to keep fxcking shxt up. I mean, looking down the road, where's the light at the end of the tunnel?

To all the other leavers like me who're thinking this is not my business, please do ahead and sign the petition and show support for the rest of the foreigners who're stuck here.

So to Mr. lawyer, I signed the petition because of you, because I can almost understand what it's like to be in your shoes (without the PR though). Have three kids, been here 20years. Kids are excited to move back to California, just bought a house there that they cant stop dreaming of when to move into. The wife is sad, and barely looks me in the face anymore, she'd love to keep staying here close to her family. But I don't care, I feel like Jack from the titanic, been in the ice cold water for 20years now and it's been nothing but a sacrifice for me, so if moving back breaks us, that's ok! But I can't continue with the mental imprisonment that I feel from being here. The tougher immigration policies hit me below the belt, a lot of my friends who couldnt afford to live here were forced to leave, and those who have money and work around Asia are scared to visit like they used to, my businesses which were all connected to the foreign community started losing money. Positives of being here were completely shredded.

So yes, I'm sad, angry and disappointed that I'm leaving thailand but on the brighter side I can finally smell the sweet scent of freedom. Goodluck Guys! hope something positive comes out of this petition. Will be watching for updates for sure.

27 minutes ago, condobrit001 said:

Compliance with the newly enforced TM30 requirements can easily be accomplished in a few minutes for each trip by downloading the TM30 app, receiving a login and password and submitting it on-line. The same applies for the 90 day reporting. Both can be accomplished in a few minutes without going anywhere near an Immigration office. So what is the big deal, apart from a few bar stool jockeys losing some precious drinking time? If their bars have wifi they can even do it without disturbing their routine!

I'm happy that you had this experience, but sorry, hasn't worked for me for 2 months now, and many calls to that number either.

17 minutes ago, Ketyo said:

The TM30 is being used to monitor and control the Chinese invasion

I don’t think that’s the case at all. Most Chinese are visitors and the ones who do stay have money. I live in one of the nicer condos in Chiang Mai and all of the Chinese I’ve met living here have set up a business locally or they are on the Elite visa.

Touring Chinese and Chinese expats are two different things.

3 hours ago, zydeco said:

Or they will require you to report in person, instead of mailing or online registration, to your nearest immigration office to fill out the TM 30 within 6 hours, instead of 24, of deplaning and up the fine to 4000 baht.

What if you have to fill out another TM30 when you return home because the Immigration Office was not nearby and you needed to spend the night?

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

That some people feel the need to look under their beds beggars belief!

As you say, paranoia. 

You mean like how you could get arrested for eating a sandwich in protest?

We are all living in loony land with decisions made by people who are xenophobic and visit oracles for advice. You honestly have no idea what they will or will not do. 

I salute the people doing this, its a good first step, and probably little else constructive one can do, but imho it will take time and much international and domestic media attention before the gears start to turn and start with reform albeit a superficial or temporary back pedal. Immigration's increasingly ravenous appetite for fines and pogroms is just a drop in the bucket as far as the overall problems in Thailand from which this particular symptom has arisen, the culture of corruption. it would seem to me,  in which it makes more sense to create and use laws selectively to create confusion and needless hassle in order to generate payoffs and fines, rather than make all affairs of the country run smoothly. And we all know, this entrenched way of running the country is gaining momentum in its destructive effects  with each passing year and quickly killing Thailand as a whole from pollution, rampant disease and poor health, poison in the food, a rotten education system, no health and safety, substandard infrastructure and services, no rule of law or law enforcement, a hopeless economy, a culture of drugs, alcohol, plastic surgeries and phone addiction to escape from all of the latter, to a political process where coups and months long chaos and street protests are needed in futile attempt to bring about "change". Something fundamental will have to change in Thailand before there will be any meaningful reform of Immigration and I hate to say it but until that day arrives,  I can't help bu imagine that immigration will only be spurred on by how they can impose any ludicrous requirements they like  and there is nothing substantive that anyone can do, they're having a laugh and the party is only just getting started if you ask me.

3 minutes ago, dcnx said:
23 minutes ago, Ketyo said:

The TM30 is being used to monitor and control the Chinese invasion

I don’t think that’s the case at all. Most Chinese are visitors and the ones who do stay have money. I live in one of the nicer condos in Chiang Mai and all of the Chinese I’ve met living here have set up a business locally or they are on the Elite visa.

Touring Chinese and Chinese expats are two different things.

TM30 is Thailand's primary system for recording the whereabouts of most everyone entering and travelling in the country. Suggesting to the Thai it should be eliminated is almost embarrassing.

As a petition, the current version has several flaws. For one, it mainly complains about foreigners' inconvenience. It should start with, let us suggest how how to significantly improve the Thai system for Thailand's benefit.

Cudos for trying, but I suggest starting over with input from the general expat community, which you claim to represent. Many comments in the thread would have already greatly improved the document.

19 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Will the letter be translated to Thai?

After it is translated into Thai, will you be required to take it to your respective Embassies where it will be notarized, then legalized at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok and then filed with the local Amphur? 

Good luck with that one. The "law" has been in place for decades and dates back to the prehistoric days of pre-Siam most likely. 

They started to re-inforce all this without reason and it is a joke in its own right. I had hundreds of staff in the past and 9 out of 10 would NOT live where they were registered. All those workers from upcountry could not even register near work as the bureaucracy is so tedious = Mission (almost) Impossible.

So the whole exercise with TM30, like the 90-days notification, serves (in my humble opinion) only one purpose = communicate the aliens that Khon Thai is in charge and graciously allows the alien underlings to stay in the Land of Smiles. In addition to all this it allows to accomodate employment for thousands of officers around the land - unqualified for anything else but put in an uniform and giving them the feeling of importance. Bottomline is, there is a serious inferiority complex tied up with the way they treat the aliens here. 

The fact is the TM30 system is actually a good idea but it is not being implemented well enough for the expat community. If it was 100% online and accounted for all variations of people's accommodation variables then this would be a non starter. The direction of this petition and lack of cultural awareness is an embarrassment. 

19 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

this should be pinned in a banner on the top of every page on Thai Visa. "Sign the petition for immigration reform."

this web site can make it happen.

I don't live in Thailand anymore so probably wouldn't be eligible to sign the petition.  It may be worth trying to get it in The Bangkok Post and The Nation if they aren't already covering it.  Not every ex-pat is part of the TV family.

Yes it sounds like it could work but i doubt it will

I for one would be pleased already when all of the IO would go by the same rules

but even something that simple is not possible over here.

If they would enforce other laws also i would be more positive.

52 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

What immigration office in ANY country ever responds to petitions from expats???  Impossible.  A complete waste of energy. Guests do not "negotiate" with government agencies.

I think that nice Mr Trump should adopt a similar requirement as the TM30, it would make his job a lot easier in rounding up all those pesky Mexicans and others!

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

You mean like how you could get arrested for eating a sandwich in protest?

We are all living in loony land with decisions made by people who are xenophobic and visit oracles for advice. You honestly have no idea what they will or will not do. 

I wake up without fear every morning.

You ?

4 hours ago, Myran said:

They're clamping down on the TM30 and people have been refused to apply for extensions because the house owner hasn't done the TM30.

You've got it one-third correct.

Section 38 of the Immigration Act says that "The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence" must report the arrival of a foreigner at the residence.

Please see section 4 for the definition of House Master.

For a rented private residence, it means

House Master = tenant

Owner = owner

Possessor = tenant 

Archived