Ambient sounds

garrya

I am sitting on the porch enjoying the ambient sounds of our surroundings.

The insects buzz, frogs or toads croak, dogs bark in the distance. A cat sneaks by. What a lovely night.

Luckily, our village home is in a dead end and there are only 40-50 houses down the road. It's a small community of fishing families. A motorbike is roaring past. And another one. Their noise is conspicuous. Another minute, another motorbike. And again. Some of these motorbikes have modified exhausts. 5 minutes, over 20 motorbikes and a few cars in a dead end. Most of them over the speed limit. 

And what's that sound khun yai? "asking my mother-in-law" Mother-in-law consoles me that it's just a small gathering to mark the passing of "Somchai". Google Map comes to the rescue showing the party just a km away. Then what's this banging sound? Why is the blaring sound from the speakers interfering with the lovely ambient sounds? Why can we hear the bass a km away? No idea.

Mai pen rai. Another few bikes roar past at 11 pm. How many people are squeezed into this village? Poor locals. There could be hundreds of people there with sleeping disorders. Mai pen rai. I start feeling a tender pity for them. 

My Hongtong is getting low, so it's time to pop open another one.

The ambient sounds of my village don't want me to enjoy the silence. Can't count the motorbikes any more. There must be a metropolis at the end of the road. I know. There surely is. 

The insects still buzz, the geckos click, the frogs croak, the motorbikes... the speakers... 

"Good" night everyone.

Cheers

Archived