Sterling slumps on 'no-deal Brexit' worries; stocks dip

webfact

6 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The link demonstrates the strength of the Baht. That is all.

But it's a question of relative strength. Sure, lots of major currencies declined against the baht. But the pound declined most of all. No contest. So to say that all major currencies declined against the baht says nothing at all about the strength or weakness of the pound. Especially since the baht is a minor currency.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bristolboy said:

It's pretty simple. What the UK wants is the kind of deal that would make membership in the EU, on balance. much less attractive. Why be a member or some kind of associate when you can get so many benefits without being one? Repeatedly, before the election, the EU warned that what Brexit leaders were promising was simply out of the question. The EU leaders have never denied that Brexit will hurt the EU. It's Brexiters with their fantasies that improved access to markets elsewhere will fully or nearly compensate for the losses incurred by leaving the EU, who bear the responsibility for this mess.

So, ok. Then you just said that it´s brexiteers and fantasies that creates this mess, right. The ones that are debating about this fantasies are at the moment Junker and Johnson, if Junker not left yet. ???? 

The question then is why these two men are sitting discussing about fantasies, instead of delivering the real facts to the people. It´s also right that it should be out of the question with crazy demands. What UK should have done is read and remember the rules and regulations that follow a membership regarding beeing a membar, staying a member and the exit of a member. They are actually not new. Maybe Johnson can take some time and read those to his fellow country men.

Whilst the slump in the pound and strength of the Baht is negatively effecting many, there are many who bought property and/or investments in Thailand changing their pounds to baht at a rate of 50, 60 and 70+ who will be considering selling their Thai property/investments and making a tidy profit which will in turn put a degree of pressure on the baht. 

Markets nearly always overact and I suspect in a few years this rate will be confined to history. From recollection about 10 years ago £1 bought about 5 malaysian ringit or about 30,000 Vietnamese dong or 50+baht. Today the £1 buys more or less the same ringit or dong, but the only 37 baht. This big change is more to do with the global strength of the baht

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

But it's a question of relative strength. Sure, lots of major currencies declined against the baht. But the pound declined most of all. No contest. So to say that all major currencies declined against the baht says nothing at all about the strength or weakness of the pound. Especially since the baht is a minor currency.

It shows the strength of the Baht against all currencies. For relative strengths you can pick your choice. Of course the Pound is relatively worse against the Baht than other major currencies but the total decline of the GBP against THB is not all due to Brexit. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Why does the UK have to wait until it has left the EU before negotiating UK/EU trade deals?

One of the things that has annoyed me the most about this fiasco is the way the UK govt. allowed negotiating UK/EU trade deals to be put to the very bottom of the agenda.

The UK would be able to strike its own trade deals - although they wouldn't be able to come into force until 1 January 2021. But it all rests on the withdrawal deal being ratified.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32810887

What trade deals have been done so far...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47213842

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Why does the UK have to wait until it has left the EU before negotiating UK/EU trade deals?

One of the things that has annoyed me the most about this fiasco is the way the UK govt. allowed negotiating UK/EU trade deals to be put to the very bottom of the agenda.

Trade deals are being negotiated currently by the UK, its just E.U member Countries cannot sign any trade deals independently 

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

As I said, the story was about the Baht strength, not the Pound decline, which together with the former, will explain why the GBP THB rate is so bad.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Trade deals are being negotiated currently by the UK, its just E.U member Countries cannot sign any trade deals independently 

The eu will have to negotiate any trade deals with the UK, but my point was why is this not already happening?  Why has this most important point been left as the very last item on the agenda?

Negotiating a 'settlement' in conjunction with a good trade deal I can understand, but why on earth would the UK agree to any 'settlement' without a trade deal?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

The eu will have to negotiate any trade deals with the UK, but my point was why is this not already happening?  Why has this most important point been left as the very last item on the agenda?

Negotiating a 'settlement' in conjunction with a good trade deal I can understand, but why on earth would the UK agree to any 'settlement' without a trade deal?

Havent the UK spent the last three years in discussion with the EU about leaving and future deals ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Havent the UK spent the last three years in discussion with the EU about leaving and future deals ?

I'm obviously missing something here.

As far as I know trade deal discussions with the EU haven't even started, and are being left until the UK agrees to everything else on the EU's agenda?

6 hours ago, john west said:

Yeah lol a country we can go back too. Really and they will ask stupid questions "As why did you leave in the first place"
Yes agrees the Baht is so very strong against many currencies and the manipulators coining huge profits for keeping currencies high and let's not forget the Thais are really suffering and it seems prices going through the roof with much smaller spending power ie frozen state pension and these pee poor exchange rates.
Going back is getting harder and also impossible with Thia Family and many have no Family back there or property but you have to have 63K in savings and earn 1,800  Sterling a month, which most of us have not got after providing homes for our loved ones.
Hard times indeed and yes Families having to split up.

No, it's only 62,500 GBP, not 63,000 and you EITHER need to have that amount saved (for 6 months continuously before applying for a spouse visa) OR you need to earn 1,800 GBP a month, not both... If I were you, I'd go back to the UK and work, work, work and save, save, save because the UK state retirement pension is even now only 29% of what the Germans get, likely to become a lot lower, and you're receiving that in Thailand when one pound gets you under 30 baht (as it will quite soon), you'll be living on fried rice every single day before you know it....

1 minute ago, natway09 said:

So he will wave a magic want to Brussels & they will fall over backwards to accommodate

Magician Boris at your service

It's reported this morning that Congress will scupper any GB-US trade deal if there is any threat to the good Friday agreement whatsoever,and that's from the Republicans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joecoolfrog said:
  11 hours ago, Loiner said:
Even in these days of entitlement, there is nothing that entitles a UK pensioner to support a young or older family in a foreign land. (The EU migrants may but you can’t.)
Thailand is still a far off third world country in many respects and should not really be a retirement destination. That so many have done it in recent years does not make it a wise decision. To support families here on a UK pension is just too much and not what the pension entitlement is all about, even though you can spend it on what you like.
Cut

I have removed the final comment, as I wish to address the above. 

I agree completely. I find the idea of fat old pensioners etc coming here for cheep young totty, whether short or long term, very unpleasant, of course that doesn't apply to every falang at all, (And I am not for a moment suggesting the earlier poster). As long as they could exploit a favorable exchange rate it was possible, when the going got tougher then the heat was on those with the lowest pensions. Well in the state pension stakes the UK is an utter embarrassment, compared with all other EU members, and many other countries even Mexico F#S. See the comparison below. There are many reasons for this, like failure to face up to the Demographic time bomb, vastly inflated unfunded occupational pensions in the state sector, etc, etc. Indeed these unfunded pensions for state workers are currently a taxpayers debt of 1 Trillion £, or roughly 50% of GDP. What a marvelous gift to our kids! The basic state pensions are underfunded also, and previous governments spent the money on their current liabilities. Who is going to pay for this mountain of debt, well the young and the self employed who get no additional pension from the government or their employers. As a self employed person I expect to work till I die, or live out of Aldi. 

Forgive this ramble, but the point to me is that if you are a UK state (Only) pensioner, then the UK government would rather you just died, and the Thai government will see you as low hanging fruit, that their immigration policies are already targeting, and I expect will do so more forcefully as time goes by, the poor falang is just not worth having other than as a tourist. Other EU countries, the US and Australia, don't yet have a big problem, but the heat is beginning to be felt. 

Welcome to world of the strong bhat and the Brexit pound.

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 12.04.23.png

It's against the law for any member of the EU to make trade deals on their own so the UK can only negotiate trade deals with the EU when it's no longer a member and the EU can only negotiate when the UK is no longer a member.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Yes worked there for 16 years. I now work in China but class Thailand as my home. I will be going back to work in Thailand. Your comment is a really stupid one asking that question.

He has been there for 10 years making him 52 at the time. Now we all know you are retiring around that age but that is you, not everyone. if you are going to say something constructive do, if not it is best not to, as it makes you look like a ships anchor.

You should of known it was near impossible for him to find work,nowt to do with being constructive,just reality,but you brexiteers live in dream land

57 minutes ago, bomber said:

You should of known it was near impossible for him to find work,nowt to do with being constructive,just reality,but you brexiteers live in dream land

Again How would I know if it was near impossible for him to find work. I have no idea of his work experience, qualifications or aspirations. You however seem to think you know everything about everyone.

You are starting to embarrass yourself on this situation. I will give some friendly advice and stop now, as you are digging a hole for yourself. I don't expect you to take it though on your past performance. However it will be the last reply to you, on the matter.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Again How would I know if it was near impossible for him to find work. I have no idea of his work experience, qualifications or aspirations. You however seem to think you know everything about everyone.

You are starting to embarrass yourself on this situation. I will give some friendly advice and stop now, as you are digging a hole for yourself. I don't expect you to take it though on your past performance. However it will be the last reply to you, on the matter.

the guy stated he would be looking along the lines of taxi driving in the UK,i think thats enough to know he is unlikely to be top management material for HSBC or similar,you may think otherwise but thats your opinion,the vast majority on here know he was highly unlikely to find work in thailand,carry on if you want but your the fool,btw i would love to see the thai taxi drivers faces if he pulled up beside them on a rank.

On 7/30/2019 at 1:17 PM, zorrow424 said:

Things will get better for sure. Just a blip this brexit thing,will pass,the £ will pick up again,has to or Thailand in trouble.  Better to go back for a while,get a job

now its thailand thats going to implode as well as the EU,sure has some clout that small island off the tip of france.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, kingdong said:

the  3 years would have been better spent trying to teach a chimpanzee to play the piano,the eu are not going to talk while we,re still members because they realise the end is nigh for their little gravy train.

UKs next port of call the IMF,and they wont come cheap

4 hours ago, adammike said:

It's against the law for any member of the EU to make trade deals on their own so the UK can only negotiate trade deals with the EU when it's no longer a member and the EU can only negotiate when the UK is no longer a member.

I think it can negotiate whenever it likes. It just can't enter into a trade deal until it is officially out of the EU.

4 hours ago, adammike said:

It's reported this morning that Congress will scupper any GB-US trade deal if there is any threat to the good Friday agreement whatsoever,and that's from the Republicans.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/31/brexit-mess-with-good-friday-and-well-block-uk-trade-deal-us-politicians-warn

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/brexit-pelosi-warns-uk-not-to-jeopardise-belfast-agreement-1.3967768

2 hours ago, bomber said:

the guy stated he would be looking along the lines of taxi driving in the UK,i think thats enough to know he is unlikely to be top management material for HSBC or similar,you may think otherwise but thats your opinion,the vast majority on here know he was highly unlikely to find work in thailand,carry on if you want but your the fool,btw i would love to see the thai taxi drivers faces if he pulled up beside them on a rank.

Sheesh, why is it so difficult for some to simply offer the gentleman a few kind words and leave it at that? The last thing the chap needs is a critical appraisal of his life. (Not having a go at you).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

the break up of the UK will stop brexit,ive said it for a long time now,it gets BJ out of jail and probably re elected at the next GE