Missing Thai worker found in Moscow

snoop1130

Missing Thai worker found in Moscow

By The Nation

800_bc8a5a76615ad77.jpg

Uthai Wentbarb’s ordeal in Moscow began when he lost his passport.

A 36-year-old Thai worker who went missing while due to take a transit flight in Moscow a month ago has been found wandering near the Russian capital’s international airport and getting by working for residents in exchange for meals and accommodation.

Nong Khai native Uthai Wentbarb was travelling from Budapest, Hungary - his previous workplace of eight months - to return to Thailand to visit his family when he went to take the transit flight in Moscow airport on June 15. However, he then vanished, prompting relatives to call the authorities and appeal to netizens to help locate him.

Uthai's sister-in-law Prapassorn Phromcharoen said that an official at the Royal Thai Embassy in Moscow had called the family on Tuesday night notifying them that Uthai was found and the embassy had stepped in to help him. 

The worker told the embassy that he lost his passport and his luggage was sent on the transit flight to Thailand. Since he was lost there and couldn't speak any foreign languages, he wandered the airport and nearby area, relying on meals given by kind-hearted people. That was until two weeks ago, when he managed to find some work and was provided with meals, accommodation and clothing. He later was able to communicate that he was from Thailand and had people help him to contact the embassy. 

However, Uthai still has to face a court process, which would take 15 days, before he can return home, said Prapassorn, citing that he had overstayed in Russia.

The embassy has helped him to find a place to stay during this waiting period. When the court procedure is finished, he will be sent back to Thailand. The embassy will pay for his expenses before contacting the Labour Ministry to help cover some of them, as Uthai had worked legally in Hungary, she added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30373985

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-31

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The embassy has helped him to find a place to stay during this waiting period. When the court procedure is finished, he will be sent back to Thailand. The embassy will pay for his expenses before contacting the Labour Ministry to help cover some of them, as Uthai had worked legally in Hungary, she added.

I think that's a fair bit more than MY embassy would do, if I found myself adrift here or in some other foreign country...

• Like 1

Since he was lost there and couldn't speak any foreign languages, he wandered the airport and nearby area,

You mean to tell me, they don't speak any THAI at the Moscow Airport???  The world's future language, according to our esteemed premier?  I find that SHOCKING!!!

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You mean to tell me, they don't speak any THAI at the Moscow Airport???  The world's future language, according to our esteemed premier?  I find that SHOCKING!!!

If he had been able to speak/understand English, he might have picked up that he was supposed to stay in the transit area, not walk off to Red Square...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1

However, Uthai still has to face a court process, which would take 15 days, before he can return home, said Prapassorn, citing that he had overstayed in Russia.

The embassy has helped him to find a place to stay during this waiting period.

I wonder how the Russian Immigration Detention Center compares to the Thai one in Bangkok???

Oh Wait!!!!  He wasn't detained/jailed by Russian Immigration, because his Embassy helped him find a place to stay while waiting for his court hearing. Even though he was there working illegally and had overstayed his entry permission.

Here, those offenses these days would certainly get one tossed in the IDC jail and almost subject one to the death penalty!!!