Used MC for 100k baht.

I've had various bikes of different sizes for around 30 years. My bike here is a bit small and I think I'll put 100,000thb into a used bike here. For a bit of touring and day rides from time to time.

Currently I'm thinking of a 6 or 7 year old Ninja 650. Easy parts and servicing etc etc.

But thinking of other options.

A CBR400 would be lovely, but too old, Thai maintenance and parts etc etc. Just couldn't trust it. 

A Duke390. Too small (373cc. Single cylinder)

The CBR500 range is just too small and boring. 471cc twin cylinder engine. 

Moving up in  money a little bit and a first generation Ducati 795 becomes possible. But, parts and servicing, bad reports and prices. The first generation CBR650 is too ugly, and rough engine. A cheaper, but older bullet proof Ninja 650 seems a much better deal to me. 

Is there anything really to match the Ninja 650 in this used price range?

TIA.

Yes, a Ninja 650 or er6-n is great value for money. Rock solid, comfy, very decent power and cheap parts. I would try to find with with no more than 20-30.000ks and with ABS. Had a new er6-n back in 2011 I believe it was and I loved it.

2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

You have a need for speed?   Don't become one of those big bikes on morning news...????

It has great torque, great brakes. I owned one did not go much faster as on on my scooter but just got faster to the speed. Much safer in traffic, only problem was that my scooter is smaller and could carry more groceries. So the big bike got sold. But extra power would be great to have for safety. 

Not everyone on a big bike drives crazy.

ER6N, Versys 650  plenty for sale around 100k+ price.

But I think a 300cc would also be enough for a day ride or an occasional weekend ride in LOS. 

It's a misconception, bigger bike are actually more safer because they have better brakes, more weight, better traction, better suspension and enough power to get out of trouble. 

10 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

A CBR400 would be lovely, but too old, Thai maintenance and parts etc etc. Just couldn't trust it. 

A Duke390. Too small (373cc. Single cylinder)

I had a VFR 400. Great bike, lots of fun - when it was working.

But it was more and more difficult to get any spare parts so I sold it.

I would still have that bike if I could get parts but I don't recommend it to anybody who wants to ride and not wait for parts.

Now I have a Duke 390. It has about 45HP and for me that's more than enough. But I use it basically only in Bangkok city traffic.

I wouldn't recommend it for extended touring because it's windy on that bike. Without an extra windshield it's no fun riding it faster than 100km/h for some distance. And then there are the vibrations. In city traffic with constantly changing RPM it's no problem. But if you ride half an hour with more or less constant RPM the vibration is not good. I remember after maybe an hour on the bike my hands were still vibrating after I stopped the bike for a couple of minutes...

Apart from that: It's a fun bike!

Saw a Benelli inline4 600 today, they must also be approaching not much over 100k given the market.

Though peace of mind, compared to a bullet proof Kawasaki with such ease of parts and servicing, not to mention it being tried and tested, is another option. 

Used twin Ninja 650 or used inline4 Benelli 600 does become interesting. 

14 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Saw a Benelli inline4 600 today, they must also be approaching not much over 100k given the market.

Though peace of mind, compared to a bullet proof Kawasaki with such ease of parts and servicing, not to mention it being tried and tested, is another option. 

Used twin Ninja 650 or used inline4 Benelli 600 does become interesting. 

There's a Benelli 600 on Kaidee for 129,000thb.

2015, 2x,xxx Km.

Very good value for a 4 year old 600cc inline 4. 

• 2 months later...

Archived