Marriage Visa Advice

Hey guys,

I'm applying for an education visa but if I am rejected for whatever reason I will be applying for a marriage visa now instead of in a year's time.

Read some conflicting information online and know this is the best place to get up to date info so asking here about the process I should go through to apply for it.

All help appreciated. ????

15 minutes ago, Chesterpot said:

Ideally I want to marry in a year's time as it just suits us better. And I genuinely want to learn Thai so I am happy to go to school here. I've already paid up for half of it and they have the paperwork.

The school should provide you with the paperwork required to get a Non-immigrant ED visa, and later an extension of stay.

You will need to go to a Thai embassy/consulate outside Thailand to apply for the visa. Should be no problem with confirmation of your course supplied by the school.

On re-entry to Thailand you’ll receive a 90 day stay. Towards the end of the 90 days you can apply for a 90 day extension of stay from immigration, which you can renew every 90 days for up to a year. After that you’ll need a new visa.

The marriage visa is not an easy one to get, and the renewal process is alot harder, and more cumbersome than it needs to be. I visited immigration yesterday, to get the paperwork for my renewal. The first thing the fat, nasty, foul mouthed woman told my wife was, you need to bring a witness. Since we live 100 km from the immigration office, that is not an easy deal. I told her NO! I told her that all she knew how to say was no. NO, NO, NO! That she should wise up, and treat foreigners with a little dignity. I said it very loudly, and everyone in the office could hear. She sat there stunned. I asked to speak with the manager. That is my M.O., when I run into blatant ignorance, from a low ranked sheep. She did not do anything. So I asked my wife to call out for the manager. He summoned us back to his office. He was an attentive, decent guy, who listened to why it was completely unnecessary to bring a witness each time, and the difficulty in doing so. We told him that last year a different manager told us we could just get a signed statement from a neighbor or someone nearby, and bring that with a copy of their blue book. He asked an assistant, they discussed it, and brought us the witness form. No need to show up with a witness, just bring the form. He and the assistant were both pleasant and helpful. 

I am not fond of immigration. There is absolutely no need for them to make things so difficult for us. So, when they push me, I push them right back. It usually works. 

The issue I have with the marriage visa, is that they ask you to jump over the same hurdles each year. A renewal should be easier. It is not. But, there are obvious advantages. The 400K only needs to be in the bank for 60 days prior, and only needs to stay in the bank until you have the visa in hand, which usually takes 3 to 4 weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

The marriage visa is not an easy one to get, and the renewal process is alot harder, and more cumbersome than it needs to be. I visited immigration yesterday, to get the paperwork for my renewal. The first thing the fat, nasty, foul mouthed woman told my wife was, you need to bring a witness. Since we live 100 km from the immigration office, that is not an easy deal. I told her NO! I told her that all she knew how to say was no. NO, NO, NO! That she should wise up, and treat foreigners with a little dignity. I said it very loudly, and everyone in the office could hear. She sat there stunned. I asked to speak with the manager. That is my M.O., when I run into blatant ignorance, from a low ranked sheep. She did not do anything. So I asked my wife to call out for the manager. He summoned us back to his office. He was an attentive, decent guy, who listened to why it was completely unnecessary to bring a witness each time, and the difficulty in doing so. We told him that last year a different manager told us we could just get a signed statement from a neighbor or someone nearby, and bring that with a copy of their blue book. He asked an assistant, they discussed it, and brought us the witness form. No need to show up with a witness, just bring the form. He and the assistant were both pleasant and helpful. 

I am not fond of immigration. There is absolutely no need for them to make things so difficult for us. So, when they push me, I push them right back. It usually works. 

The issue I have with the marriage visa, is that they ask you to jump over the same hurdles each year. A renewal should be easier. It is not. But, there are obvious advantages. The 400K only needs to be in the bank for 60 days prior, and only needs to stay in the bank until you have the visa in hand, which usually takes 3 to 4 weeks.

Really depends which immigration you go and where you live I guess. Can't generalise it like this.

Yes the Marriage Extension (Visa is anyways done outside of Thailand) has more paper work involved and takes some preparation. But it's easy to get if you have everything done correctly. Also that witness thing is not enforced by all immigrations.

@Chesterpot PM me if you want a todo list for the marriage visa extension I build myself the last 2 years with personal notes. Happy to share it ???? small things like "2 photos per page only" is stuff I learned the hard way over time. Everyone else is also free to PM me. Don't want to share it in public as it contains some personal notes and I am lazy to delete them out of it ????

Ubonjoe a great member here in the Forum also constantly answering questions towards that the last months/years so if you search a bit in this forum you find some good lists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

The school should provide you with the paperwork required to get a Non-immigrant ED visa, and later an extension of stay.

You will need to go to a Thai embassy/consulate outside Thailand to apply for the visa. Should be no problem with confirmation of your course supplied by the school.

On re-entry to Thailand you’ll receive a 90 day stay. Towards the end of the 90 days you can apply for a 90 day extension of stay from immigration, which you can renew every 90 days for up to a year. After that you’ll need a new visa.

Thanks but it's the marriage visa I requite info about. 

6 minutes ago, burner2014 said:

Really depends which immigration you go and where you live I guess. Can't generalise it like this.

Yes the Marriage Extension (Visa is anyways done outside of Thailand) has more paper work involved and takes some preparation. But it's easy to get if you have everything done correctly. Also that witness thing is not enforced by all immigrations.

@Chesterpot PM me if you want a todo list for the marriage visa extension I build myself the last 2 years with personal notes. Happy to share it ???? small things like "2 photos per page only" is stuff I learned the hard way over time. Everyone else is also free to PM me. Don't want to share it in public as it contains some personal notes and I am lazy to delete them out of it ????

Ubonjoe a great member here in the Forum also constantly answering questions towards that the last months/years so if you search a bit in this forum you find some good lists.

PM sent ????

30 minutes ago, Chesterpot said:

Thanks but it's the marriage visa I requite info about. 

The main requirement is to have at least 400K in a Thai bank in your name for at least 2 months before the date you apply, OR proof of a foreign monthly income of at least 40K per month.

Here is a rough guide. It varies between the different offices.

1 Year Extension of Stay (spouse)

• Your wife will need to go with you and she may be interviewed about when you met etc.
  • TM.7 form. Extension of stay application.
  • 1 x photo 6 x 4.
  • 1,900 baht.
  • Proof of income or deposit in the bank of 400K. Signed copy of Thai bank book and a letter from the bank confirming the balance OR certified letter form your Embassy in Bangkok confirming a minimum income of 40K pm. If your embassy don't issue income letters you can provide bank statements showing monthly transfers to Thailand. They should accept a couple of transfers for the first extension.
  • Original marriage certificate.
  • Kor Ror 2 marriage registry certificate. Som offices require that to be updated by the local Amphoe.
  • Signed copies of wife's ID and Tabien Baan.
  • Signed copies of your passport pages: ID page, visa, entry stamp, departure card.
  • Map to where you live from the nearest main road.
  • Photos of you and your wife (and children if you have any) outside the property showing the house number or building name. Plus some inside the property. They like to see you sitting on the bed for some strange reason.
  • Proof of residence such as a rental agreement and they may want form TM.30. This is the form used by the Owner/House-master to report that you are staying with them.
  • Maybe a witness.
  • The may do a home visit during the 30 day under consideration period. It's routine and nothing to worry about.
Edited by elviajero