Trump says he is not worried about short-range missiles fired by North Korea

webfact

Trump says he is not worried about short-range missiles fired by North Korea

2019-08-01T200851Z_1_LYNXNPEF7041L_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump departs for travel to Cincinnati, Ohio from the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, U.S., August 1, 2019. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday that he was not worried about missiles being tested by North Korea, calling them very standard, short-range devices.

Trump was asked about the missile launches as he left the White House on a trip to Ohio.

U.S. officials said it appeared Pyongyang had launched new projectiles on Thursday similar to those fired earlier in the week.

President Donald Trump said on Thursday that he was not worried about missiles being tested by North Korea, calling them very standard, short-range devices. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

Trump was asked about the missile launches as he departed the White House on a trip to Ohio.

U.S. officials said it appeared Pyongyang had launched new projectiles on Thursday similar to those fired earlier in the week.

Asked whether North Korean leader Kim Jong Un was testing him by carrying out a third missile test in recent days, Trump told reporters: "I think it's very much under control, very much under control."

Trump added the missile launches did not violate any promises Kim had made to him.

They were "short-range missiles," Trump said. "We never made an agreement on that. I have no problem. We'll see what happens. But these are short range missiles. They are very standard."

(Reporting by David Alexander; Editing by Grant McCool)

15 minutes ago, Estrada said:

With North Korea's new long range submarines, they can use short range missiles to hit the United States

I checked that out it’s a copy of am old russan design carried 3 weapons in the conning tower don’t think they are a serious threat

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, DoktorC said:

As an American taxpayer, I definitely want to know whet the pentagon has been spending my money on.   Most powerful military power... please share what you are smoking.  They didn't defeat North Korea, they didn't defeat the Vietnamese, didn't rescue the Iranian hostages, success in Iraq is still a big question, as is Afghanistan.... The US did win the Cold War, but that wasn't really  a military victory, the  US military did defeat the panamanians, and don't forget the glorious rescue of the medical students in Grenada.

You have a greater opinion of the US capabilities than I do.

Your  points are well taken.  (Yes, the greatest humiliation in American military history occurred on April 30, 1975, on the roof of the American embassy in what was then Saigon.)

I was thinking more of the American nuclear capability, which is easily enough to prevent some other nuclear power from even thinking of attacking the US.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, blazes said:

It's all so <deleted> boring, but really....just THINK... the USofA is the most powerful military power in the whole bleeding world.  There is NOTHING that N. Korea could inflict upon the US. Nothing.  And if NK did somehow have a weapon that was potentially destructive to the US, you can be absolutely sure that the US would be blowing it out of the ...wherever it is at any moment .

If the US could NOT do that, could not destroy a NK threat, you would, as an American tax-payer, want to know what the f was happening to all those dollars being tipped into the Pentagon's bank account.

So why all the fuss? Why send the flotilla to intimidate North Korea? Why the summit in Singapore? Why a second summit in Vietnam?

On 8/2/2019 at 1:27 AM, blazes said:

It's all so <deleted> boring, but really....just THINK... the USofA is the most powerful military power in the whole bleeding world.  There is NOTHING that N. Korea could inflict upon the US. Nothing.  And if NK did somehow have a weapon that was potentially destructive to the US, you can be absolutely sure that the US would be blowing it out of the ...wherever it is at any moment .

If the US could NOT do that, could not destroy a NK threat, you would, as an American tax-payer, want to know what the f was happening to all those dollars being tipped into the Pentagon's bank account.

The NYPD is a very powerful organisation but one lone criminal with a bomb  can take hostages and try to negotiate a deal. NYPD could certainly kill the criminal but there will be collateral damage.  

I hope the analogy is clear.

The hostages are the NK people, SK, Japan , world economic stability. Imagine what would happen if NK delivered a nuclear weapon in Tokyo. 

Anyone who thinks Kim will abandon nuclear capability is mistaken , I don't believe he has a deathwish.

Gaddafi was persuaded to give up nuclear ambitions and look what happened to him. 

Trump is also fighting for his life, He needs to get re-elected and run down the clock on the statute  limitations. and will say and do whatever he can toward that goal. lt's al hope we don't become collateral damage.

• Like 1

"There may be a United Nations violation, but Chairman Kim does not want to disappoint me with a violation of trust, there is far too much for North Korea to gain," Trump said. Also, there is far too much to lose," he continued. "I may be wrong, but I believe that (Chairman) Kim has a great and beautiful vision for his country, and only the United States, with me as President, can make that vision come true."

(2 juil. 2019 - Kellyanne Conway has claimed that President Donald Trump is on his way to a Nobel Peace Prize thanks to his diplomacy with North Korean ..)
Edited by Opl