yamaha nmax 125 hard ride.

xmark

hi all, 

i wanted to ask if anyone is feeling a hard ride on there nmax 125 ?
i own a new nmax 2019 only two months old which i cant find anything to complain about except for the hard ride i am experiencing ride. when ridding over speed bumps or any normal pot holes or normal damaged road work etc etc i can really feel the hit of the bump bang in my stomach and feel the bike that that bump shock in it. the tire air pressure as recommended by yamaha are 22psi front and 36psi back which i am finding almost impossible to cope with, as with these air pressures the ride extremely hard as if the bike is going to fall apart.

any suggestions ?

thanks 

Just now, tlandtday said:

air pressure sounds wrong... 22 at front?  you mean 32?  yamaha is known for cutting corners lately to bring down costs so this may very well mean a downgraded suspension system such as on the aerox... 

Xerox, a lot of nearly new ones being sold privately. Massive tell.

1 hour ago, Mikisteel said:

Xerox, a lot of nearly new ones being sold privately. Massive tell.

yeah may also be the case with the nmax also... there have been a lot of reports of bad bearings/rods in the engine leading to major engine overhauls under 10000 km.  I rented one once and although I liked it a lot I found it cheap in areas and could not understand why a bike with low km, fuel injection and water cooled idled so roughly and clattered so much on acceleration.  I now suspect it was a lack of lubrication in the engine.  Yamaha cut some serious corners in its latest production in an effort to unseat Honda based on price.

Edited by tlandtday

Just very recently bought and Nmax 155, and yes the shocks are extremely stiff, certainly compared to the rental grand filano i had before.

Went back to the store and they advised against softer shocks as the "rear wheel is really heavy and massive, so the shocks of the nmax have to be hard". They advised a custom saddle if i wanted a softer ride.

I too was under the impression that the shop had over inflated the tires and checked them myself, but it was spot on. 

The 2/3 year olds for sale online are 90% ex rentals with a fake number of kilometers. The bike with the most buyers remorse seems to be the Aerox by far, judging from the number of them on sale from private persons. Makes sense as anyone who has legs cant sit on the thing.

Shame i am too tall and look silly on the filano, otherwise i would have bought that one. The pcx is out of the question because overpriced and no ABS

Edited by WhatsNext

13 hours ago, tlandtday said:

yamaha is known for cutting corners lately

Known by who? Yamaha build quality is better than Honda. Just that Honda has more dealers and some Thai mystique to go with it.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 4:47 PM, xmark said:

i cant find anything to complain about except for the hard ride i am experiencing ride. when ridding over speed bumps or any normal pot holes or normal damaged road work etc etc i can really feel the hit of the bump bang in my stomach and feel the bike that that bump shock in it

1. Change the shocks with someone who has a two year old bike?

2. Get the seat reupolstered with some softer foam

3. Ride over speed bumps at a different speed?

4. Buy a Vespa?

OEM suspensions for both Yamaha and Honda are both crappy that they needed to be changed for a more comfortable ride. 

Just recently changed rear suspension on my PCX and what a big difference it made on the ride that I decided I will upgrade the front suspension soon as well. I'm guessing the Nmax OEM suspension is the same. 

Edited by alx123
spelling
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Known by who? Yamaha build quality is better than Honda. Just that Honda has more dealers and some Thai mystique to go with it.

It's evident in their new bikes... we are talking the scooters if you can't see some corner cutting in either the aerox or nmax you aren't looking very hard.  One of the easiest reductions to do is suspension... ring a bell.  In fairness Honda has also cut corners in quality but not to the extent of yamaha and this is evident in yamaha's price points.

13 hours ago, alx123 said:

OEM suspensions for both Yamaha and Honda are both crappy that they needed to be changed for a more comfortable ride. 

Just recently changed rear suspension on my PCX and what a big difference it made on the ride that I decided I will upgrade the front suspension soon as well. I'm guessing the Nmax OEM suspension is the same. 

i actually liked the nmax suspension i would sooner have a rough stiff ride and control then a loose suspension.  Upgrade the seats.