Importing A Car From The Uk? Advise Needed

Boater

I am thinking of importing a car from the UK, a convertible, as they are hard to come by here in thailand.

Does anybody now the exact procudure? I understand you get taxed heavily! but is this standard Tax or on a car by car basis and what is the exact amount? Also are there any other costs involved? oo is there a website that gives all this inforamtion?

Thanks in advance. :o

This website will give you all the information you need. Use the search function.

To simply answer your questions, its nightmare.

Yes, it is on a car by car basis, and the taxation is levied on the Customs Officers appraised valuation of the car. The rate of taxation depends on the type of vehicle, power output, engine size etc etc.

So, the Customs official may decide that your 20 year old 3L Ford Grenada is worth 500,000THB, and you will end up forking out 300% on import tax. (Just a wild example!)

This website will give you all the information you need. Use the search function.

Yes, it is on a car by car basis, and the taxation is levied on the Customs Officers appraised valuation of the car. The rate of taxation depends on the type of vehicle, power output, engine size etc etc.

So, the Customs official may decide that your 20 year old 3L Ford Grenada is worth 500,000THB, and you will end up forking out 300% on import tax. (Just a wild example!)

Thanks for your reply, have you the link to the please?

I seem to remember this exact thing happening to one poster last year sometime.

Ended up losing the car, I recall

And this has exactly what to do with real estate? Or are you going to live in the car? :D I think you posted in the wrong sub forum mate ...............

Real Estate, house and car ownership is the exact forum heading................. and my topic is about importing a car for ownership in Thailand.....

So if i am not mistaken i have in fact posted in the correct Forum

And this has exactly what to do with real estate? Or are you going to live in the car? :o I think you posted in the wrong sub forum mate ...............

Hey, nowt wrong with livin' in the car, 20 year old 3L Ford Granada (one with green foglights from Halfords)

And this has exactly what to do with real estate? Or are you going to live in the car? :D I think you posted in the wrong sub forum mate ...............

Real Estate, house and car ownership is the exact forum heading................. and my topic is about importing a car for ownership in Thailand.....

you are mistaken, this is the real estate, house and land ownership forum

been on the changs?

you are mistaken, this is the real estate, house and land ownership forum

been on the changs?

Ok, i will agree at the top it only mentions Real Estate, but on the Forum Home Page, it clearly states Real Estate, Housing and CAR ownership!!! and when you click on that link this is the forum for it!

I am not going to get into one of these silly Thaivisa arguments which only steers the topic away from its orginal purpose

Thanks

No it doesn't.

Ask a mod to move it to the motor section and you will get more results, instead of being told you've posted in the wrong bit!!

ok, but when i click on car ownership, it comes to this forum

It is really not a good idea. Full of pitfalls there is another thread on this on the forum. The Tax is 200% However documentation and worked examples can be found here.

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/indexEng.jsp

Good luck, better off buying new vehicle in Thailand :o

The exact paperwork and calculation of cost can be seen here

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Perso...Nme=PersonalPer

Have a beer before yo read it!!!!!

Edited by maprao

The example they quote is for a vehicle valued at 1,000,000 Baht The Tax will come to 2,131,707.20 Baht You have to love the car more than your teeruk!!!!

The following example shows a breakdown of the liable taxes and duties assessed on the vehicles less than 2400 c.c. cylinder capacity with a CIF value of 1,000,000 Baht.

CIF value of the imported vehicle and applicable taxes and duties are as follows:

CIF value of the import

= 1,000,000 Baht

Import duty

= 80 %

Excise tax

= 35 %

Interior tax

= 10 % of excise tax

VAT

= 7 %

The total import duties and taxes imposed on this import are calculated as follows:

1. Import duty

= (CIF value * Rate of import duty)

= (1,000,000 * 0.8)

= 800,000 Baht

2. Excise tax = (CIF value + import duty) * {Rate of excise tax/1-(1.1 * Rate of excise tax)}

= (1,000,000+800,000) * {0.35/1-(1.1*0.35)}

= 1,800,000 * 0.5691057

= 1,024,390.20 Baht

3. Interior tax = Excise tax * Rate of interior tax

= 1,024,390.20 * 0.1

= 102,439.02 Baht

4. Base VAT = (CIF value+ Import duty+ Excise tax + Interior tax)

= (1,000,000 + 800,000 + 1,024,390.20 + 102,439.02)

= 2,926,829.20 Baht

5. VAT = Base VAT * VAT Rate

= 2,926,829.20 *0.07

= 204,878.04 Baht

Total taxes and duties = 1+2+3+5 = 2,131,707.20 Baht

Edited by maprao

I am thinking of importing a car from the UK, a convertible, as they are hard to come by here in thailand.

There is a reason there are no (few) convertibles in LoS, impractical, too hot with the top down (and the Missus will spend all her time hiding from the sun), to clammy with the top up (and the rain will get in) :o

Forget it mate, if it's half decent the duty and tax is punitive, if it's a shed why bother? Buy a car here.

By the way, this is the wrong forum, should be in 'motoring' :D

Edited by Crossy

No it doesn't.

Ask a mod to move it to the motor section and you will get more results, instead of being told you've posted in the wrong bit!!

Actually it DOES! On the TV home page (not the forum root) the link still points to the old title "Real Estate, House and Car Ownership" which pre-dates the separate "Motoring" forum.

So our OP is actually correct :o

Still the wrong forum though :D

As others have said, dont even consider importing the whole system is corrupt.

Someone posted earlier,

This is by no means a wild example.

Trust me i know, i have been there.

Mike. :o

if you do a search you'll find many threads about this...

I was actually going to import my car into bangkok, but gave up after doing a little research. It's not worth the extra tax, you mind as buy a car or comparable car here. Also, even if you do decide to pay the tax, there is no guarantee you will get your car back (or in a working condition). Customs has every right to deny you access at the port even if you've paid your tax, you basically have no rights. Its very shady... seriously, do some research and you will hear some stories.

if you don't mind me asking, what car are you looking to import?

If import of cars is possibile, everybody would do this and we could have much nicer cars on Thai roads than now. I hear this question 1000 times. It's not possible. We have to accept theyr rules and we can't do nothing. Many peaple i know thry to import theyr cars. I know not even one who get the car on Thai roads (permanent import). Just forget it!