Pilots arrested at Glasgow Airport before boarding US flight

rooster59

Guilty as judged by a panel of TVF posters. Amazing that an arrest reported in Scotland, written by a person who likely got the information from someone else, is the legal basis for armchair judges to arrive at a conclusion of guilt. Why event bother with legal procedings when there is such a learned collection of anonymous legal experts.

Edited by Benmart
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Basil B said:

All a mistake...

They inhaled the exhaled air of the Glaswegian taxi driver, 

Awee dram , never hurt anyone , maybe they were just a tad nervous about fling ..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, guru said:

Ok understood. Just out of curiosity did the Third Officers at EVA have two stripes like Second Officers? I had one stripe at the time and I was simply a cadet doing the CPL practical course and ATPL theory exams.

Didn’t have any Eva cadets when I was in Adelaide but we did have Cathay, Royal Brunei, SAA, Qantas and private cadets. All of them were good folk and some good memories.

The unrated pilots had one, rated Third Officers two, First officers three, Captains of course 4.  At Eva we didn't have Senior First Officers (three) as say BA have.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benmart said:

Guilty as judged by a panel of TVF posters. Amazing that an arrest reported in Scotland, written by a person who likely got the information from someone else, is the legal basis for armchair judges to arrive at a conclusion of guilt. Why event bother with legal procedings when there is such a learned collection of anonymous legal experts.

I think if you were to read the source article in full you will note:

• This came from BBC Scotland
  • "Police Scotland confirmed officers were called to the airport at 07:35 BST"
  • "A Police Scotland spokeswoman confirmed two men, aged 61 and 45, have been arrested and remain in police custody pending a scheduled court appearance on Tuesday 6 August for alleged offences under the Railways and Transport Safety Act 2003."
  • "United Airlines said in a statement the safety of its customers and crew was "always our top priority". It said: "We hold all of our employees to the highest standards and have a strict, no tolerance policy for alcohol."These pilots were immediately removed from service and we are fully cooperating with local authorities."

Above quotes from: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-49222120

As for the outcome:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-39368762

Two pilots (both United Airlines): 10 and 15 months prison... 

There again two pilots did get off on a technicality:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-43907466

but do not expect that to happen again.

Edited by Basil B

O K since some have posted experience of flights,thought i'd add my most amusing quip by a Scottish pilot,on a flight from Perth AU to Bruni, just after landing on an open mike said "i couldn't half go a bacon sandwich now"???? i burst out laughing but no one else seemed to understand the irony. :cheesy:

17 minutes ago, sevenhills said:

This is 3 years old.

No its not, you are thinking of the last US pilot who got stopped at Glasgow airport.

Check out the BBC news, its there for all to see.

Pilots aged 45/61 were arrested on the 3rd of august.

Edited by colinneil

16 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Autopilot. Most of the flight, anyway.

Yeah...I reckon most of us could do that bit. From what I have witnessed that's the major part of the flight where they can relax...the critical element is getting up and down safely, and that's what would concern me!!

Yeah...I reckon most of us could do that bit. From what I have witnessed that's the major part of the flight where they can relax...the critical element is getting up and down safely, and that's what would concern me!!

When I was flying with Qantas from Heathrow to Bangkok en route to flight school, I had opportunity to sit on the flight deck for the duration of the flight. They couldn’t understand why I wanted to be on the flight deck for so long instead of sipping champagne in First Class where my staff ticketed seat was. Second Officer was sat behind the Captain and wasn’t talkative, First Officer had had enough of flying and was going to quit the airline to get into real estate. Very inspiring so far. The Captain though had a great personality, always sipping a cup of tea and very inspiring and encouraging. Flying through Russian airspace, air traffic control had made routine radio contact. I was sat behind the First Officer and had a headset on. Well I couldn’t understand a word the Russian was saying. After they had finished, I said to the Captain how could you understand him? He said he couldn’t understand him either but knew there was only seven possible things he could have wanted to know and he went through the list till the Russian stopped calling back. Whether that was true or or he was having a laugh with me I don’t know. He said he had problems understanding Russian, Chinese and Indonesian air traffic controllers. Personally, I’ve never had problems understanding Thai controllers when I’ve flown light aircraft here. I was listening into Bangkok Departures the other day, the female controller was perfectly understandable and in true Thainess very polite signing off each call with a sawadee kaa. I had more problems understanding air traffic controllers flying out of Haverfordwest and Swansea.

5 hours ago, guru said:

When I was flying with Qantas from Heathrow to Bangkok en route to flight school, I had opportunity to sit on the flight deck for the duration of the flight. They couldn’t understand why I wanted to be on the flight deck for so long instead of sipping champagne in First Class where my staff ticketed seat was. Second Officer was sat behind the Captain and wasn’t talkative, First Officer had had enough of flying and was going to quit the airline to get into real estate. Very inspiring so far. The Captain though had a great personality, always sipping a cup of tea and very inspiring and encouraging. Flying through Russian airspace, air traffic control had made routine radio contact. I was sat behind the First Officer and had a headset on. Well I couldn’t understand a word the Russian was saying. After they had finished, I said to the Captain how could you understand him? He said he couldn’t understand him either but knew there was only seven possible things he could have wanted to know and he went through the list till the Russian stopped calling back. Whether that was true or or he was having a laugh with me I don’t know. He said he had problems understanding Russian, Chinese and Indonesian air traffic controllers. Personally, I’ve never had problems understanding Thai controllers when I’ve flown light aircraft here. I was listening into Bangkok Departures the other day, the female controller was perfectly understandable and in true Thainess very polite signing off each call with a sawadee kaa. I had more problems understanding air traffic controllers flying out of Haverfordwest and Swansea.

Correct me if I am wrong but I was led to believe that on ALL International flight airwaves ALL conversations between pilots and ground control had to be conducted in English ALL over the world

Edited by ThaiPauly
  • Like 1

All of her instructions were in English using ICAO standard phraseology. The only non-English part was the "sawatdee kaa" at the end. It could be argued that for safety and to avoid any confusion even a non-English "sawatdee kaa" should not be used in Bangkok airspace but I do not believe it is forbidden.    

ICAO Annex 10 says the below:

Language(s) to be used

• Para 5.2.1.2.1: The air-ground radiotelephony communications shall be conducted in the language normally used by the station on the ground or in the English language
  • Para 5.2.1.2.2 The English language shall be available, on request from any aircraft station, at all stations on the ground serving designated airports and routes used by international air services

Source (Page 14) : https://www.icao.int/EURNAT/Other Meetings Seminars and Workshops/Inter-regional Meetings/IELP/1-1.pdf