3BB Blocking SSH

timendres

I require SSH to login to a number of servers used for work. Recently, I was not able to login to my server in Singapore. At first, I thought the server was down, but I switched over to the AIS network (we have 3BB, AIS, and TRUE all coming into the office). The AIS network was able to connect immediately. So was TRUE. It was only 3BB that was unable to connect. It was clear that they were blocking SSH connections.

I contacted tech support via email, and within 30 minutes they apologized and fixed the problem. Okay, kudos for the response time. But then, two days later, same problem, same email to tech support, same rapid reset of the block.

It appears that 3BB has decided that SSH ports will be blocked unless the client specifically requests they be opened. And it appears the process is scripted, hence the re-blocking I experienced. Now, after two complaints, it appears that they have fixed their "whitelist" issue, and I have not seen the problem again.

Anyone else running into 3BB blocking SSH, or was I a special case.

Is there literally no connection logged on the server itself, or even an attempt to connect?

I did hear talk of carrier grade NAT but haven't seen it myself. Not yet anyway and I believe this can cause all sorts of problems.....

19 hours ago, ukrules said:

Is there literally no connection logged on the server itself, or even an attempt to connect?

I did hear talk of carrier grade NAT but haven't seen it myself. Not yet anyway and I believe this can cause all sorts of problems.....

The packets never reached the server. 3BB's tech support seemed to immediately understand and fix the problem. Since others are not seeing the issue, then it must have been unique to my account.

Archived