Need a divorce lawyer, do I need to be in Thailand?

cncltd1973

After 14 years of marriage, mostly in the US, we are calling it quits. I live in the US, currently in Bali on business for another week, and was planning to stay in Thailand for 6 weeks before heading back to the US. She has been living in Thailand, running her business for the past few years and wants to stay in Thailand forever. I want to stay in the US. So we're planning a fair divorce and I need a lawyer. Any recommendations on a good lawyer or how to find one? Do I need to return to Thailand, or can I fly back to the US directly from Bali and handle all this long distance?

Thanks in advance.

Ps. We were married in the US and have property there and in Thailand. Our marriage certificate is registered in the local Thai gov't office also

You can give power of attorney to a representative who can then get a lawyer to instigate court proceedings. The representative can then represent you at the first negotiation hearing, and if agreement can be reached with both parties at the negotiation hearing then you do not need to return to Thailand. But if there is no agreement and the proceedings have to go to the full court hearing then you will have to attend.

HL

Archived