Bangkok Bank Denies There is a Problem Connecting to Paypal

My Bangkok Bank debit card expired recently and I was glad to get a Master Card debit card instead of the dreaded Union Pay that all seem to say doesn't work anywhere except at ATMs. Anyway, I tried linking the new card up with Paypal and the system kicked it back saying the issuing bank denied the card. I called Bangkok Bank about it the next day and they said all should be clear, there was no problems with my card, perhaps the problem lies with Paypal, but that they would investigate the situation and get back to me. The next day I phoned Paypal about it and they re-affirmed that their system had it right that indeed the bank was denying the link up. I called Bangkok Bank the next day and asked them if they had found out what the problem was yet and they said yes they already know I have a problem with the card and they will call back tomorrow. They didn't call back and the next day (today) they didn't call back either. Also, when I called Bangkok Bank the second time the person I spoke with confirmed there was no hold or any other problem with my account and they agreed the problem probably was to do with Paypal.

Has anyone had any success resolving a similar problem? Are there any good alternative banks that link up with Paypal who are still interested in setting up new accounts for resident non-working, non-work permit holding expats?

Just out of interest, were you speaking English or Thai? Also, is this a Thailand Paypal account? I recently phoned Paypal about linking my UK Paypal account to my Thai bank but gave up in the end. Apparently the only way it was possible was to close my Paypal account and reopen another in Thailand, far too much grief.

Just wanted to report that it dawned on me what the problem might be, that an old bank account that I had linked to my Paypal account and which never worked was now kicking in when the Paypal system went to validate my card with a bank. Sure enough that was the problem. They did not do it that way when I linked it with my Bangkok Bank Visa debit card, it was easy and seamless,  so it never occurred to me or Paypal staff when I called to ask for help, that the old account was being used by the system to confirm the card.

Anyway, to anyone in the future having problems linking a new card make sure there are not old accounts or cards that don't work but which are still listed in your Paypal wallet, they can take over when you try to validate and connect new cards. Also don't expect Paypal staff to help with any problems you are having, this is the second time they have been completely unhelpful when Paypal became unuseable. Paypal seems to have so much business that they can shrug and say "Not my problem, sorry for the inconvenience, bye!"

Archived