Buying US Dollars in Thailand

Jumbo1968

I will be going too Cambodia for a short break, I have been told the preferred currency is the US Dollar.

i am currently in the UK should I buy my US Dollars here or in Pattaya using Baht which I have already changed from Sterling  ?

If buying in Pattaya where would the best place to buy them ?

1 minute ago, damascase said:

Well, if you are still in the UK it would seem best to buy your dollars there, you loose money a second time when you change baht bought with Sterling into dollars.

My thoughts were rightly or wrongly was using Baht to buy dollars even after exchanging sterling to Baht would be a better option ?

5 hours ago, damascase said:

Well, if you are still in the UK it would seem best to buy your dollars there, you loose money a second time when you change baht bought with Sterling into dollars.

You may be right but I wonder. The in UK rates offered are usually pretty poor and TT in Thailand sure can do better. I just took a look at converting  £ to baht, then baht to dollar on TT Exchange based on yesterday's cash rates (Sterling was pretty bad), and it was 37.13 and 30.9 ie  £100 would get you $120.2, a rate of 1.20. What is it in the UK?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You may be right but I wonder. The in UK rates offered are usually pretty poor and TT in Thailand sure can do better. I just took a look at converting  £ to baht, then baht to dollar on TT Exchange based on yesterday's cash rates (Sterling was pretty bad), and it was 37.13 and 30.9 ie  £100 would get you $120.2, a rate of 1.20. What is it in the UK?

Currently $1.19

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, damascase said:

Never! He will suffer changing from Thai Baht to Sterling to US Dollars and to honest everywhere will accept Thai Bht in Cambodia.

1 hour ago, Pdavies99 said:

Never! He will suffer changing from Thai Baht to Sterling to US Dollars and to honest everywhere will accept Thai Bht in Cambodia.

Will there be 2 different prices the Thai Baht price and the US Dollar price when you buy anything ?

On 8/10/2019 at 1:50 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

Will there be 2 different prices the Thai Baht price and the US Dollar price when you buy anything ?

Most prices are quoted in Cambodia money, however they will happily accept Thai Baht at a good rate, as they want foreign currency.

On 8/10/2019 at 5:02 AM, Issanman said:

I have always heard that the ATMs in Cambodia dispense US dollars. 

If true, that would probably be the cheapest way.

Yes and you will receive 100 usd notes which are too big are many time hassle to use safely..